Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Maliya almost there.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default 80 mg Prozac?

I've been on 60 mg prozac for the past six weeks with no significant improvement, still many low periods and a lot of anxiety as well as days where I am able to "crash" completely, and go back down to a mood point of 1 or 2 (where 0 is the worst and 10 is the best).

My psychiatrist wants me to go up to 80 mg prozac, but I've rarely heard of anyone being on this... does that make me extremely crazy? Or "broken"? Has anyone ever been on 80, and if so, what was your experience like?

I'm just afraid because I think its the ceiling dose and if that doesn't work, there's no where else to go...

Female, 20, queer/questioning
Dx: Anxiety & Depressive Disorder
Rx: 80 mg Prozac, 5 mg Abilify

be gentle with yourself.
you are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
and whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Maliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Magnate
Confusedinomicon has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
142 hugs
given
Default Re: 80 mg Prozac?

There are many more medications, beside prozac. There are also different combinations the pdoc can do to help the medication.

I have seen a lot of people use abilify with prozac and it seems to work. Abilify is prescribed off label, though.

Are you seeing a therapist? I would think that working through talk therapy/cbt/dbt/whatever would also help.
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Magnate

likewater has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
381 hugs
given

Im on 80 mg prozac. I dont think it's that unusual
likewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

Atlantis has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2 hugs
given

I would try a different medication.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Magnate

WeepingWillow23 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

80mg is above the recommended dose in the UK (20-60mg), but can be prescribed off label. If you've had some benefit from the prozac/fluoxetine then I'd consider trying 80mg. If you've had no improvement at all then I wouldn't bother and would ask for something else. As confused says, they're plenty more meds out there! And getting a T is a must, if you're able.

All the best,

*Willow*
WeepingWillow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
105 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The recommended dose in the U.S. is 20-80 mg. If 80 does not help enough, your pdoc might add a second AD from a different class, such as wellbutrin, or stop the prozac altogether and try a different SSRI. Good luck.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Red_Cyclops has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
12 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliya View Post
I've been on 60 mg prozac for the past six weeks with no significant improvement, still many low periods and a lot of anxiety as well as days where I am able to "crash" completely, and go back down to a mood point of 1 or 2 (where 0 is the worst and 10 is the best).

My psychiatrist wants me to go up to 80 mg prozac, but I've rarely heard of anyone being on this... does that make me extremely crazy? Or "broken"? Has anyone ever been on 80, and if so, what was your experience like?

I'm just afraid because I think its the ceiling dose and if that doesn't work, there's no where else to go...
I recently had the same problem. I started on a low dose (20mg) of Prozac about 2 years ago, and every 5-6 months I've had to up the dose to get the same effect. I increased to 80mg and noticed no improvement from 60mg. We decided that a different med is the way to go, so I've just started Cymbalta. The SSRI's tend to not do the job for me. Good Luck!

Cymbalta 120 mg
Lamictal 100 mg
Xanax XR .5 mg
Vyvanse 70 mg

Prior meds: Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Pamelor, Pristiq, Lexapro, Viibryd, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Seroquel, Depakote, Klonopin, Buspar, Gabapentin, Focalin, Concerta, Deplin
Red_Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Jazz007 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliya View Post

Hi Maliya. I have heard of people being on 80mg. Also, if the higher dose doesnt work, that doesn't mean you're crazy at all, It just means you need to try different meds until u find the one that fits u. Everyone is different when it comes to meds. I have been on so many I cant even count them. I'm taking a combo of 5 currently. Hang in there, you are not broken u just need help.
Jazz007 is offline   Reply With Quote