Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Binti1962 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Drinking alcohol while on psych meds

I know that some drug info says that you should not drink while taking psych meds, but is it really that bad? I like to go out and have a few drinks socially, and I'm wondering if that causes interactions? I also know that alcohol is a depressant, but it relaxes me. any thoughts?

Thanks, Binti
Binti1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

tarmyg Would you let me see underneath your beautiful, would you let me see underneath your perfect. I want to see inside.

3 yr Member
23 hugs
given
Default Re: Drinking alcohol while on psych meds

My experience w alcohol and meds has been that it intensifies the effect of the alcohol....not sure what you are on...so not sure what your reaction will be.
Might want to check w your pdoc?
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Absolutely check with your doc or pharmacist BEFORE you drink. Some drugs are okay with alcohol but others are not. I asked my pdoc last December if I could drink alcohol in moderation with my current drugs and he said it was okay. Also you would want to avoid alcohol entirely if you are alcoholic.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

cocos421 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Hi, I've been on depression meds and antipsychiotics for about 10 years. I've always drank with them. One exception, I quit for close to 2 years. I've never had any bad experiences while drinking on meds. Years ago, after a night of drinking, I would become depressed the next day or two. I no longer have that problem as much or at all lately.
The weird thing about drinking on meds is that I seem to have a high tolerance. I can handle my alcohol well. I don't ever get drunk. But I guess I know when I have had enough. I can drink about 6 or 7 beers without feeling too buzzed or anything. I'm an average sized woman. I'm not saying go out and drink by telling you this either! This is just my experience.
Also, I do not drink when I'm depressed. I know it will not make me feel better, only worse. I drink to enhance my good mood and because I like the taste.
I currently take 6 different meds. I'm sure a couple of them say don't drink. My pdoc knows I drink a couple of beers here and there. She had no comment.
The only thing I would mention again is the depression I got after drinking. That's something that can happen. When I quit drinking for 2 years, my depression improved.
Hope that helped some.
cocos421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Grand Member

online user is dealing pretty well with depression, thanks to lots of meds, but may be facing a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,098 hugs
given

One drug I am on, Cymbalta, does not intensify the effects of alcohol as some other psych meds do. However, some people in trials had liver failure while on it. So drinking is a risk with this medication. There is no generic "OK" or "not OK" that we can give you. Each person's tolerance and each drug's interaction is different. The best thing to do is to avoid, as alcohol is a depressant. A little drinking in moderation? Better check with doc first. Might not be worth the risk.

I had a beloved aunt who lost her eyesight to diabetes. She told me once, when I was considering taking a piece of candy (I am diabetic too), "It's not that great. It's not worth it." I still remember that. She learned the hard way.
online user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Binti1962 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

thanks for the replies. I'm afraid to ask my pdoc about the drinking because I don't want him to tell me that I cannot drink, but I guess I'll try to bring it up. I don't want to do any damage to myself...

binti
Binti1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #7

IdoubtIT turning things around.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Yeah, I have had good and bad experiences with drinking on my psych meds. Lithium seems to remove my ability to tell how much I've drank and I've actually had blackouts on lithium several times; never happened off lithium. Other meds seem to increase my tolerance and make it harder to get intoxicated.

Now that being said, if you have mental illness your best bet is to not drink at all. I think there is no surprise that my most stable times came with little or no drinking.
IdoubtIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Grand Poohbah
SingDanceRunLife has no updates.

5 yr Member
46 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Lamictal intensifies the effect of alcohol. It's the only drug I'm on, and today, I drank and my tolerance is about half of what it used to be.
SingDanceRunLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binti1962 View Post
I'm afraid to ask my pdoc about the drinking because I don't want him to tell me that I cannot drink
Okay, if you shouldn't drink, you shouldn't drink! His telling you or not is not the criteria! Do you want to get better or potentially harm yourself? Why take the meds at all if you aren't going to use them correctly?
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

Jerrypharmstudent kinda bored.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
Help Re: Drinking alcohol while on psych meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binti1962 View Post
thanks for the replies. I'm afraid to ask my pdoc about the drinking because I don't want him to tell me that I cannot drink, but I guess I'll try to bring it up. I don't want to do any damage to myself...

binti
Hi Binti

I agree with the other posters' comments: you should talk to your psychiatrist or pharmacist about any adverse reactions with your meds combined with alcohol. If you listed your meds I might be able to give you an idea of what they might say - but I am not a medical professional.

Better to ask than to find out later in the ER that mixing the two was a bad idea.

Jerry
"My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you’re ugly too." - Rodney Dangerfield

Jerrypharmstudent is offline   Reply With Quote