Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #1

netsavy006 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Can Cogentin (benztropine) and Ativan (lorazapam) be taken together for akathisia?

I know one side effect of Abilify is akathisia, but should it happen, can I take the medications Abilify with Cogentin 1mg BID, and Ativan 1mg QID. (Ativan I'm already on).

Thanks,
Andy.
netsavy006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

owllover99 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Can Cogentin (benztropine) and Ativan (lorazapam) be taken together for akathisia

If you get akathisia, the best thing for it is a lot of Vitamin B6. And I mean a lot. I keep a bottle of 200 mg. B6's in my purse. When mine acts up, I take 4 or 5. It takes about 20 minutes for me to calm down. I found this out by googling it. I just went to my pdoc and he's done some research into it and he was positive about it. Now I also have read and do is take a B complex (one that has all the B vitamins) once a day. It's supposed to help you not have any bad effects of so much B6.
I took Haldol for 16 years. That's how I got it. I used to have to take B6 4 or 5 times a day. But now maybe once every 2 or 3 days. I guess the longer I'm off Haldol. Hopes this helps you.
owllover99 is offline   Reply With Quote