Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Euphie Queen

WikidPissah is T-less.

3 yr Member
4,769 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Confused Haldol as a PRN???

I have been on just about every antipsychotic there is, and I can't tolerate any of them. I have hallucinations and delusions (so they say). I had been on Haldol for almost 7 mos, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like crap after taking it. Irritable, can't sit still, climbing out of my skin. Plus the major weight gain.
It does; however; stop the voices.

I dropped it, and I started using it as a prn. When the hallucinations get too bad I take one, and it works...but it still causes me to feel wacky, just now I don't feel wacky every day. I know that it is WRONG to change the way you take medication without talking to pdoc...but I don't want to tell him, as it has taken years of trying meds to find one that works...and I really don't think there is much left to try.

SO .... all this to ask: Does anyone take Haldol as a PRN?
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

CliveWild has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Haldol as a PRN???

Hi Eileen,

Whenever I had haldol in the past, I had extreme problems. I was very sensitive to low doses and I had some weird side effects. I can't imagine it as a PRN but whatever works for you. I would normally follow my psychiatrist's word and keep them informed. I must admit that I tried a lower dose of Seroquel recently without approval. I think it's okay occasionally.

Clive
CliveWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

owllover99 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

You get akanaisa with the Haldol (google it it may be spelled wrong) . I got it when I got off of it. I was on 3 mg. a day for 16 years. I found mega (1200 mg at a time) of B-6 will calm you down. Also take a b complex 1 a day too. As with all anti-psychotics you can get tardive dyskinesia (I think I spelled that right for once). My mouth moves. I feel for you. It sounds like you need some kind of and anti-psychotic. I wouldn't advise Haldol. But I'm not a doctor. And maybe you need a second opinion, too.
owllover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would tell my doctor, get him to reduce my prescription so you get good benefits without as many of the side effects you don't like. It's not like aspirin or something, addressing the headache within 15 minutes and then not being needed anymore, it takes time to build up to a significant level and then needs to be sustained. Too, the back-and-forth of taking it PRN could cause all sorts of reactions that could be dangerous. You need to talk to your doctor.
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Euphie Queen

WikidPissah is T-less.

3 yr Member
4,769 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

thanks everyone....good advice from all. maybe I will cut the dose in half and take it every night until Oct when I see my pdoc again.
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

netsavy006 has no updates.

5 yr Member

(though I'm not doc) what your describing sounds like akathisia to me. It's easily treated with medications one of which is OTC. If all your taking is Haldol, check to see if the Haldol interacts with Benadryl because I've heard that benadryl can be used for Akathisia.

Other medications (though these are prescriptions) that can help with akathisia are Cogentin (benztropine), Artane, Amantadine, Inderal, Benzodiazapines.

I hope this helps and see if you can find that out.
If you can't reach your doctor, you can always speak to the pharmacist. They are there to help you too.

Best of luck,
~ Andy.
netsavy006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

armatthaei has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2 hugs
given

Many people take Haldol PRN, usually for anxiety. The people that I have seen use it often fall asleep soon after taking it. I have had a few of my eldery client react badly to it, jerking movements & or hallucinations.

I still would recomend that you let your psych doctor know. It seems like there are new antipsychotic medications coming out all the time. Many of the newer ones, have unique ways of working, if the medical community knows how they work at all.

I hope that balance can enter your life, so you may feel @ peace.
armatthaei, BSN, RN