Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
shattycat has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default does Buspar interact with Ativan?

I was just given Buspar 30 mg and .5 Ativan twice a day. Wis there any dangers of takijen then both?
shattycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: does Buspar interact with Ativan?

I don't think so. Actually, Ativan is given when one is taking Buspar to help with some other medical interactions. Check out "b. Azole Antifungal Agent" below:

http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/hcf/vdp/.../buspiron.html
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
I don't think so. Actually, Ativan is given when one is taking Buspar to help with some other medical interactions. Check out "b. Azole Antifungal Agent" below:

http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/hcf/vdp/.../buspiron.html
My reading of that is that if one is taking one of those azole antifungals, one should not take buspirone but instead should take a different anxiety med, such as ativan. Or stick with buspirone but switch the fungal med.

My guess is that a person might be prescribed both ativan and buspirone because the doctor feels the anxiety relief prescribed by only one is insufficient to manage the anxiety. Typically, people who are used to anxiety relief from a benzo, such as ativan, do not find much relief from buspar. They have come to expect a certain type of relatively fast relief from their anxiety in a certain way, and buspirone does not provide relief in that same way. Often people who are used to benzodiazapines may say of buspirone, "it did nothing for me." Buspirone is more of a longer term treatment--it has to build up in your system to be helpful (like certain anti-depressants). Unlike the benzos, buspirone is not addictive. However, some people experience side effects that are hard for them to tolerate. Other people simply get no anxiety relief.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Grand Member

krzyk101 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: does Buspar interact with Ativan?

NO, I recently was put on Buspar while taking Valium which is a cousin but not as rapid acting as ativan and I am having no problems except the discontinuation of Klonopin and replaicing it with Buspar as I am on the Valium for Physical reasons due to Chronic Pain and they are safe to take together.

If you think you have totally givin' up- you haven't, because you are here!

krzyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

sneschalmers has no updates.

5 yr Member

buspar and ativan are completely different medications from completely different medication classes. and besides, are you going to trust the opinions of a bunch of internet strangers over your doctor? if so then you have bigger problems...
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Grand Member

krzyk101 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Angry Re: does Buspar interact with Ativan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneschalmers View Post
buspar and ativan are completely different medications from completely different medication classes. and besides, are you going to trust the opinions of a bunch of internet strangers over your doctor? if so then you have bigger problems...
some of us 'internet strangers' have actual experience with medications and disorders vs. reading it out of a textbook, we all give our opinions, possibly our experiences, support and hope.

No one claims to be a medical professional. I dont see any problem seeking out the advise of peers who have experienced this vs. a busy doctor who half the time doesn't even explain or answer questions or concerns in this nature. IMO.

If you think you have totally givin' up- you haven't, because you are here!

krzyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote