Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Poohbah

Evening has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default medication for more energy?

I was just wondering if there are any medications that exist that give more energy, I have been exhausted for years and now it's just getting ridiculous. When I check the mail I have to sit down for 5 minutes as soon as I get back inside. I can't move on with things and get out more if I can barely stand up sometimes. I need something to help me, obviously not to solve my problems but to aid in giving me enough energy to begin to do things.
If I got to my doctor is there anything available they can give me? I don't want to go there only to find out there isn't anything.
Evening is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Poohbah

RomanSunburn has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
352 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: medication for more energy?

Have you had a physical or your blood tested recently? You might want to look into getting that done, especially checking your iron levels. If your iron is low, it can make you feel exhausted. Then they'll give you an iron supplement and you should start to feel better.

I don't have any other suggestions, but you should probably talk to your doctor all the same and see what he/she says.

Hope you feel better soon!
Ro
RomanSunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes, go to the doctor, you might have a hormone problem and need thyroid or vitamins/minerals, etc. There's all sorts of chemical things that can cause low energy like you describe.
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #4

polarsmom has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

There are prescriptions that are available to help with feeling lethargic. Talk to your pdoctor about it. If the doctor feels that depression or whatever is causing it he may prescribe something to help. I just started taking Provigil for that reason. I have only been on it for a couple weeks. It has been somewhat helpful. I'm certainly not bursting with energy that's for sure.
polarsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

BrandonSS90 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4 hugs
given

I have that problem too... I get tired soo quick, which is also do to physical illness. But anyways, my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin, specifically, Wellbutrin XL. It is a bit stimulating, not like Adderall or Ritalin, or anything like that, but it is another SSRI. It has been seen to affect Dopamine receptors as well, making it more potent, and powerful for depression.

It has taken about 80% of my depression away. I don't think of suicide anymore, not all the time like I used to. I solemnly think of suicide now, and hurting myself.. It has helped me for a little over a year I'd say.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
theave has no updates.

5 yr Member

I also take wellbutrin, and it has helped me with motivation, I think - it doesn't all feel like such an effort as it did before. Also, I had blood tests done at the beginning of the year, and have been taking vitamin D supplements which I think have also helped - so getting yourself checked out physically first is a good idea, definitely.
theave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Evening, I agree with others--to get your physical condition checked out first. It is not normal to feel so exhausted all the time. It could be a lot of things, such as thyroid, anemia, narrowing of an artery, disrupted sleep due to sleep apnea or another medical problem, etc. My father felt always exhausted when he did simple tasks (such as going to the mailbox), and then had an angioplasty to widen one of his arteries, and then he felt sooooo much better. I used to be anemic and also felt exhausted by everyday tasks.

I take Wellbutrin (which is not an SSRI) and also Vyvanse, which is a stimulant. These have both helped with my energy. However, I think they are masking an underlying medical problem, and I am finally proceeding on dealing with that. I suspect I have sleep apnea (it runs in my family), which is keeping me from getting enough sleep, even though I appear to sleep for enough time. (It is a condition one may not realize one has until a sleep study is done.) The symptoms of sleep apnea aren't so much exhaustion after simple tasks, as you described, but extreme daytime sleepiness.

Good luck. Hope you and your doc can figure this out. This is a very important reason to go see your doctor.
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Getting there! :-)

sugahorse1 is trudging along

My Mood:

3 yr Member
301 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I take Edronax (Reboxetine, which is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (NRI)) and it has helped me quite a bit with regards to energy. It also has much less side-effects, and definitely allowed my libido to exist again.

I have had complete blood tests done, so it's not thyroid, or vitamin B deficiency
sugahorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
Poohbah

Evening has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had a blood test a few years ago, people were giving me crap saying I was tired because I am a vegetarian and need to eat meat, blah blah blah. I decided to get a blood test to debunk their theories, and I was right, I had absolutely nothing wrong, no low iron (in fact I vaguely remember my iron was a little higher than normal but I may be remembering wrong). I am terrified of needles so I ended up being dragged into the clinic by my grandmother, I had an anesthetic patch put on my arm, and had 4 people hold me down. hahaha! I'm such a coward.
My energy levels have gradually gone down over about 10 years or so, when I was a little tacker I was so much different, it's almost depressing to think about. I was the fastest person in the school, I always came first, I would do stuff every day. I think as I got older and things got worse for me and I came to more realisation of the things that were happening, I started to get exhausted. I never ate (because my mum spent more money on alcohol and weed than on food), I was being abused and neglected, I got miserable.
Now it's all taken it's toll. I have to build it all back up again, you know?
Evening is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Legendary

sunrise is sremptcarly

5 yr Member
104 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
Now it's all taken it's toll. I have to build it all back up again, you know?
That's great you are now feeling motivated to get your health back on track. It's important you go see your doctor for your exhaustion to rule out medical conditions. Let us know how that goes. Are you underweight? (When that happens, our bodies start "eating" parts of themselves for energy that they normally don't. It can really take its toll.) Good luck!