Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

brickbat has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Depakote and alcohol, among other things

Hi everyone, I just started taking Depakote after having a manic episode triggered by Lexapro, which I'd been taking at 20mg/day for about 8 weeks. Now I'm off the Lexapro, at least temporarily, and taking 750mg of Depakote daily.

I've read a lot about the possible side effects of Depakote and they all sound pretty grim. My pdoc and another friend who is a psychiatric nurse told me that the ones I'm most concerned about (hair loss, extreme weight gain) occur mainly at higher dosages, and with long term use. Does anyone have any experience with the dosage I'm taking?

Also, I'm wondering about alcohol use while on Depakote. I think they're both metabolized through the liver, so that could be a problem, but I'm not sure just how dangerous/contraindicated drinking is while taking it. I am not a big drinker but I like to have a glass of wine or two with friends once a week or so. I'm going to talk to my pdoc about this when I see her tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about it.
brickbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Poohbah

jennaorgana has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Depakote and alcohol, among other things

you know, alcohol is a huge tip off on mood swings. so if you are on a mood stabilizer you really really shouldn't drink to begin with. i've been on lithium and lamictal, and i've had weight gain with both. usually hypomania caused by antidepressants warrants a short-term use of a mood stabilizer... but then again EVERYONE is different and everyone's psychiatrist treats conditions differently.

but all i can say is even a little bit of alcohol can be worrisome IF you are or recently have experienced a mood issue.

MCLEAN HOSPITAL ALUMN!!
www.mylifeintreatment.com
there is a LOT of personal information on there from my current hospitalization and it may not be for everyone, but it's a good read!

please PM me anytime, day or night... i am always awake and wanting to talk!!
We'd never know what's wrong without the pain
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same
jennaorgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Anonymous32910
Anonymous32910 has no updates. Edit

Avoid the alcohol. It can really mess with your meds.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Grithnir has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

My roommate recently started taking Depakote and I too was concerned about all the warnings and side effects. It states very clearly that you should not drink alcohol whatsoever while taking it, and directly affects the liver. The liver and pancreas damage have been reported in the first six months of taking it, but usually most people don't come down with this severe damage to the organs.

Also the warnings of Depakote include seizures if using illegal drugs like marijuana or exstacy. A friend of mine's son in law took depakote and drank while on it though he was prone to seizures already would suffer great seizures when drinking or trying to drink alcohol plus severe migraines. In general with any of these meds you take you should not take alcohol, and it is better for you anyways.

Grithnir
Grithnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Grand Member

krzyk101 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Post Re: Depakote and alcohol, among other things

Hi Bricbat,
I would express your concerns about depakote to your pdoc and ask for a more modern mood stabilizer with less side effects. Perhaps lamictal or something more modern. Depakote cause me many health problems especially weight gain which resulted in a fatty liver an liver disease. Alcohol really should be avoided while on Depakote. Once again If I were you I would ask for a more modern mood stabilizer. Lamictal is a great mood stabilizer and much less side effects, except one rare skin rash which does not effect very many ppl except it did effect me, yet while on it I did better than ever, I just happen to be one of the million or so that got the rash. Best wishes and good luck--kk101

If you think you have totally givin' up- you haven't, because you are here!

krzyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Grithnir has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

kk101, I never heard of Lamictal and I am asking my nurse about it today actually. I thought it was either Depakote or Lithium. I didn't know there was a third choice. I say that because my roommate has lost control of his appetite completely and with a guy that once was homeless it's like watching a starving person raid your kitchen every few hours. I wonder if he knows what he is doing when he has these food binges?
Grithnir is offline   Reply With Quote