Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #1

Indra has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Buspar and alcohol?

Hi, I just started taking Buspar a few days ago, 15 mg a day. And I don't drink a lot at all, maybe a glass of wine, or a cocktail once every couple weeks...sometimes it's months...so basically, just not that often. So what I'm wondering is, is it ok to have an occasional drink while taking this medication?
I've looked up information on it, and it says that alcohol doesn't seem to increase effects, but to avoid it.

That's just a little too vague for me.
Indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Larry_Hoover has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Re: Buspar and alcohol?

I've read a lot of these drug monographs, and the way I'd characterize this one is: "The effects of alcohol and buspirone could be additive in some individuals."

The amount of alcohol and buspirone you're talking about are not substantial. If you do occasionally mix the two, be aware that motor effects and dizziness might be exaggerated. Don't operate cars or machinery. Etc.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Lar
Larry_Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #3

vulgerlove has no updates.

8 yr Member

Bad combination. Seriously. Take my word for it. Picture me saying Don't look down. And you were curious and you looked down. And because when you looked down, you fell and broke your back. Well, yeah, You would be saying the rest of your life I shouldn't have looked down...maybe an extreem example but really you dont want to drink on them or drink and DRIVE on them. If you are interested in the medication, don't drink or find somthing you can drink on if you drink on a regular basis......That is my suggestion...best of luck to you....

From "Your Erroneous Zones" By: Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
http://www.poetrypoem.com/vulgerlove

http://www.lulu.com/content/231766

vulgerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #4

Indra has no updates.

8 yr Member

Thanks, Larry. I will most certainly keep that in mind and test it out slowly and conservatively.

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Bad combination. Seriously. Take my word for it. Picture me saying Don't look down. And you were curious and you looked down. And because when you looked down, you fell and broke your back. Well, yeah, You would be saying the rest of your life I shouldn't have looked down...maybe an extreem example but really you dont want to drink on them or drink and DRIVE on them. If you are interested in the medication, don't drink or find somthing you can drink on if you drink on a regular basis......That is my suggestion...best of luck to you....

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">
Jesus, woman! Extreme example?!?! Ya think so?!
Did you not read my post?
I don't drink often at all, and when I do, It's not more than a drink or two at most...but, on a completely serious note, I appreciate your concern.
I really do.

I'll be careful, and I definitely won't be driving. I don't even want to test this out in public in case I don't handle it well. I'll try it at home to see how it effects me before I go anywhere.

And on a side note, almost all medications I've read up on don't recommend drinking alcohol...I imagine it's (to some degree) one of those things where it varies person to person(?).
Unread 05-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
Poohbah

Myzen has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Hi Indra,

I don't have any advice on this subject - too technical.

A story though. I have a friend who has suffered from schizophrenia for some years. After many failures the doctors finally found a medication that stabilizes him and he receives an injection every three weeks. This sounds like pretty heavy duty medication to me.

My friend, who is in his seventies, also keeps a couple of bottles of brandy in the house and enjoys a few liberal glasses now and then. He gets a bit slow on the brandy but it doesn't seem to affect him in any other way.

I guess my story is suggesting that it is all a matter of circumstances and degree. I wouldn't want to deny my friend his pleasures, lots of people don't even survive into their seventies.

Cheers, Myzen
Myzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #6

vulgerlove has no updates.

8 yr Member

Of course the example was extreem, that was the point. Just to make sure you got the fact that it was not a good idea. I have the tendency to do that, in general, must be a character flaw. Regardless, I was just saying my opnion, being that I have taken it before with drinking and did not do well at all. Err....I think I even drove on it. It's a very weird combination. Not like painkillers and alcohol or even your benzonpindines and alcohol. It is a much different effect. It's hard to explain, it almost feels like electric shocks running across your body when you drink with it.....

From "Your Erroneous Zones" By: Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
http://www.poetrypoem.com/vulgerlove

http://www.lulu.com/content/231766

vulgerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #7

Allan has no updates.

8 yr Member

Well my opinion is that any time you mix alcohol or non-prescribed meds with what you are taking, you are at chance to have some BIG side affects that can be dangerous. I think that is why they state on alot of the meds NOT to drink alcohol while taking this med. Some people it may not affect them at all but I feel it is like walking down a busy highway in the drivers lane and hoping not to get hit. I know everyone has there opinions and this is just mine. Had to learn this the HARD way. Guess thats how I had to learn alot of the things I feel now.

Allan
Unread 05-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #8
Wise Elder

Raynaadi has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

bump
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #9

Indra has no updates.

8 yr Member

UPDATE:

Last night was the first I drank on this medication.
I had no problems. Had a total of four drinks over the course of the evening, and just took my 2nd dose later than I normally would so that I wasn't taking it while I was drinking. Just took it before I went to bed, and I felt fine!