Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #1

marathonmel7 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Question prozac - good or bad?

i recently started prozac after being on celexa for almost 4 months. celexa was not the right medicine for me and gradually i went from depressed to severly depressed to suicidal. now i am on 20mg of prozac and it's been about a week or so. just wondering what you guys think of the medicine. my main concern is getting worse (acting on a suicidal ideation) or gaining weight since i am bulimic as well. (great combo, i know) anyways, if anyone wants to comment, please... i'd love to hear from you!

--mel
marathonmel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Grand Member

phoenix47baby has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default Re: prozac - good or bad?

When prozac first came out, hundreds of people rushed to their doctors because of its claim to help lose weight. I was on it for four years and lost a total of ten pounds and felt great. I'm sure you will do just fine with it! Good Luck. Phoenix
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Anonymous29357
Anonymous29357 has no updates. Edit

Thumbs up Re: prozac - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonmel7 View Post
i recently started prozac after being on celexa for almost 4 months. celexa was not the right medicine for me and gradually i went from depressed to severly depressed to suicidal. now i am on 20mg of prozac and it's been about a week or so. just wondering what you guys think of the medicine. my main concern is getting worse (acting on a suicidal ideation) or gaining weight since i am bulimic as well. (great combo, i know) anyways, if anyone wants to comment, please... i'd love to hear from you!

--mel
Prozac has been my miracle drug. It was the first one I was ever put on - And immediately I was able to complete thoughts, remember where I was in conversations and complete sentences without going all over the place.
Of course medication don't always work alone. I just started taking Wellbutrin for the depression AND it is WORKING. That God!!
Because I am a severe Bipolar I also take a mood stabilizer: Lamitcal....
I'm doing good...................HURRAY
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
n2euphoria has no updates.

5 yr Member

I was on Prozac one time, 60mg of it, alongside the 300mg of Effexor at the same time due to my severe depression. The Prozac gave me terrible tremors, so bad i couldn't keep my hands still enough to make my writing legible or even hold a glass of water from spilling it. I hope nothing like this happens with you though. I hope it helps you on your way. Best wishes.
n2euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Grand Member

anna342 has no updates.

5 yr Member

I personally got very ill on prozac I took ODs because of how it left me and the rest of the time I would mostly just sit in bed and shake. I was in that much of a state that I didn't have the will to take myself off it and so carried on upping the doses like the dr's wanted. If you notice you become shakey/twitchy or a lot more anxious I'd suggest thinking about trying something else and seeing a dr.

But with that in mind I know a lot of people who have done very well on it. You just need to try and it and see unfortunatly.
anna342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Magnate

VickiesPath back after a long hiatus.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
6 hugs
given

Prozac is a good medication. It is the first SSRI ever put on the market. Yes, it can cause weight loss. It rarely causes weight gain.

Prozac had what is referred to as the "Prozac Poopout" meaning after a few years, people who have had good results don't react to it favorably anymore and have to take a different antidepressant.

60mg is a high dose and rarely do doctors prescribe above that. Prozac acts upon Seratonin in the brain. It can cause what is called "Seratonin Syndrome" in some people and that is what might have happened to n2euphoria. That is a terrible thing and can be deadly.

I took Prozac for a very long time but since I was actually bipolar (undiagnosed) it aggravated my hypomania. It later pooped out on me.
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Legendary

ECHOES is knitting.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
988 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Prozac kept me emotionally numb for many years.
ECHOES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Grand Member

phoenix47baby has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Prozac pooped out on me after 6 years. I went off it and then back on and it just wouldn't work. Never had any side effects except feeling up and energized like being on Wellbutrin for me. Good Luck
Unread 10-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Magnate

BlueMoon6 has no updates.

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I was on prozac for 2 yrs. It was a period of time when I was bulimic as well. This was a long time ago. I loved it., The side effects for me were a lot of energy and a decrease in my appetite. I didnt gain or lose b/c of the drug, but I remember I did well on it. Then after 2 yrs it didnt work for me anymore...then onto zoloft for 2 yrs. Now Im on lexipro after a time off it all.

Prozac never made me any more sui than I already had been. Id check with your doc if it does that to you.
BlueMoon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #10

marathonmel7 has no updates.

5 yr Member

thanks to all of you who have responded. it's been about two weeks now since i've started it. i was previously taking celexa and without being too dramatic, celexa almost costed me my life. i feel better now but, i know the drug needs more time to work. so far, i haven't had any side effects which is good because for me, celexa came with a lot of side effects.

anyways, i appreciate everyone's responses... i guess i just have to wait. but, at least i am willing to wait rather than wanting to end it all. good weekend to all!
marathonmel7 is offline   Reply With Quote