Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 04-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
has no updates. Edit

Default Seroquel makes me stupid

This was kind of addressed in another thread but I didn't wanna hijack. I'm on 100 mg per night of seroquel and it makes me feel horrible. I mean, like my brain will function but it's like I loose my motor skills. Speech gets slurred, I clip walls turning corners, and so on and so forth. Then morning comes and it takes me hours to "wake up." I'm gonna ask pdoc on Tues if i can stop taking it or get him to at least lower to 50 mg. What are yalls experiences with this drug?

Ry
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Dolfin has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Re: Seroquel makes me stupid

Ahh, the wonderful world of Seroquel. I too get the "stupids" on my Seroquel....feel like a full-on drunk, stumbling about and knocking into things, you know what I'm talking about.

My pdoc told me if the full dosage was too much, it was totally cool to break it in half. But, I'm not a shrink, I just play one with my stuffed animals at tea time

At any rate, at least I'm referring my professional advice on to you.

Hugz and Much Love,
Jenn
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Grand Member
TgrsPurr has no updates.

8 yr Member

Hey Ry, for me Seroquel is my emergency drug. Please keep in mind that the body will adjust to the side affects, the grogginess, the spaciness, the depth perception probles. All will subside with just a little time. My encourament is to stick with it because it is an excellent med. It's only been a short while that you've been on it, I'm hoping you'll give it the chance you deserve. You are on a relatively low dose so the side affects will adjust themselves in just a short period of time. But definately talk to your pdoc about it, he/she is the expert. I'm only speaking from personal experience and everyone is different. I'm also thinking that the interaction with this drug combinded with the mixture of all your other meds may be exaggerating the side affects. Please keep that in mind.
Thinking of you. TgrsPurr. xoxo
Unread 04-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

h0kie has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Hubby took Seroquel. 25mg...then 50mg...eventually we stopped it because he didn't *need* it. Why pay for something he really didn't need?

He took it right before bed and slept. He really couldn't stay away with it. I refused to let him drive while he was on it. For his own safety.

He took it about 8...and by 10 he was out for at least 8 hours. Once in a while he could go on less sleep, but not too often. I certainly wouldn't try to function or work after just taking it. I would take it and sleep. That's what worked for him.

Of course, I know people on 600mg doses that it doesn't make them sleepy at all. Everyone reacts differently.

Karma is a boomerang.

Trying to read 52 books in 52 weeks. See how I'm doing
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
has no updates. Edit

I'm gonna ask my doc for either a lower dosage or permission to use only as needed cause this stuff is wretched if you ask me. I don't see how those people take 600 oreven 800 mg. I guess it's worth it if it helps.

Ry
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #6

Shaymus has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member

I loved seroquel. It was the perfect drug to sleep for me no matter what crazyness was goin on. I had the slow waking up thing goin on too but it never really bothered me over much. I guess im used to being doped up tho I wish i could get back on it actually. Hopefully those effects wear off or you get to lower the dose or something there Ryan.
Shaymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Poohbah
SS8282 has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I know what you mean, ry. I take it too. Respirdal makes me retarded. I wish there was something that can help without the stupidity and sleepiness as side effects.
SS8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Grand Magnate

jbug glad to be alive

My Mood:

10 yr Member
14 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Seroquel made me diabetic.....:-(

Janniebug
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
Poohbah
SS8282 has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

((((((((jannie))))))))) I'm sorry. Diabetes run in my family too - both sides.

Hmmmmm. If seroquel = stupid and respirdal = retarded, then what does seroquel + respirdal = too? Just wondering......

How are you doing ry? Huggles.
SS8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
has no updates. Edit

Wow... lotta mixed results here. I'm seeing my shrink tomorrow and I'm asking if I can get off this crap. I really hate it.

Ry