Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place

advertisement
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
PoeticLiscence has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Becoming a recluse

At what point do you think being alone (or the desire to be alone) becomes a problem or a disorder? I find the desire for a reclusive lifestyle very appealing. I love my house and the quiet. I feel the most at peace in my home with my children or alone. While I funtion well in social situations, I find "get togethers" draining no matter how casual the event. Is it abnormal to want to be alone more than to be with people?
PoeticLiscence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Becoming a recluse

I don't think it means that you're a recluse-it's what I would refer to as being a homebody. There are a lot of homebodies. A recluse is someone who never goes out for anything.
((((((((homebody)))))))))
Unread 09-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #3

dogtanian has no updates.

8 yr Member

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
PoeticLiscence said:
At what point do you think being alone (or the desire to be alone) becomes a problem or a disorder? I find the desire for a reclusive lifestyle very appealing. I love my house and the quiet. I feel the most at peace in my home with my children or alone. While I funtion well in social situations, I find "get togethers" draining no matter how casual the event. Is it abnormal to want to be alone more than to be with people?

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

i'm wondering the same thing: i'm going to the PD network this week for the first time and i think i have several elements of the schizoid PD. increasingly as i get older i want to be alone, all the time. i never enjoyed relationships and sex was always a big no no, so now i've decided there's no point doing these things just to keep with other people's expectation, so i've stopped. but increasingly, i will go to events or plays or concerts or films on my own and not even ask someone else to go too. i like nothing better than going in to central london and sitting in a dim sum restaurant, alone, with a book, then going to see a film, alone.

if people invite me out, i just feel annoyed that i have to spend time with them. i went on a hen night recently and although it was reasonably enjoyable it really just reminded me that i wished i was at home alone. tomorrow i'm going to the wedding and i just ... it's not that i can't be bothred, it's just i'd rather not be around other people, being on good behaviour, being sociable. i'd rather do nothing. on my own. always.

but i'm not sure how far is "normal" and how far is "abnormal" - sorry :S
Unread 09-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Wise Elder

Rhapsody Needs a Friend

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I too wonder this...... for what and when is it a serious problem? - for I am slowly becoming a recluse (and) I only venture out for weekly food, household goods and doctor apts, and only then because it is part of my duties as the homemaker of the house.

- -
LoVe,
Rhapsody -
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
has no updates. Edit

I don't know. Maybe we should look it up.
Unread 09-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
Magnate

Bethsway has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I feel as long as you are happy...and being alone does not bother you at all...then you are just being yourself and for you it is normal...It becomes a problem like when I can't go out because of my fears and anxiety...that is the difference...if You are happy with the things the way they are...then you are A-OK...lol...
Bethsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
354 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think it's a continuum like any other desire. I have no desire at all to skydive :-) That doesn't mean I'm risk-adversive. I only think not being with other people is bad if it's a defense against feeling. My sister-in-law loves being alone in her house on the side of a mountain but she still volunteers once or twice a weeki, (is married to my brother :-) and is active with her grandchildren and not "anti-social."

Could be though that if you ask the question there's some lingering problem. If one were comfortable with one's self and lifestyle then one might not ask the question?
Unread 09-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
PoeticLiscence has no updates.

5 yr Member

After reading the kind responses here, I'm feeling much better and less like I've developed a problem. I like the word "homebody" that you used, Jax and it appeals to my sensibilities on the subject. I related to the statement about being annoyed by invitations, from you Dogtanian. This is me for sure esp. when my husband and I are invited on a trip where I'll actually have to be gone from my home for more than a few hours. But in the end, I feel satisfied that the word recluse is not applicable to me. Homebody is and so thank you for that.
PoeticLiscence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Wise Elder

Rhapsody Needs a Friend

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Bethsway said:
It becomes a problem like when I can't go out because of my fears and anxiety...that is the difference...

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

Based on this bit of INFO - I am in BIG TROUBLE....... Sigh!

LoVe,
Rhapsody -
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
has no updates. Edit

((((((((Rhapsody))))))))