Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Partners of People & Caregivers Support > Partners of People with Personality Disorders

advertisement
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Mindy79 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default boyfriend with antisocial personality disorder

My ex-boyfriend has been diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. Everything that I read tells me to run the other direction and that there is no hope. I am having trouble even finding a therapist who will treat such a condition. I don't want to give up on him... any advice on where to turn for help?

I have everyone telling me to take care of myself... I'm a pretty strong girl... I am trying to find help for him.
Mindy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Anonymous32970
Anonymous32970 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: boyfriend with antisocial personality disorder

Good luck trying to find a therapist. You're going to need it.

Conventional therapy isn't the best for antisocials anyway. Generally, they refuse to cooperate or only pretend to cooperate to appease family members and/or the parole board. The smarter ones take what they learn in therapy and use it to manipulate people more efficiently.

Although, I have heard about a proposed treatment. Unfortunately, the methods were rejected for some time because most psychologists don't agree with its cynical approach. So, even if the proposal has been accepted as a potential treatment, it's still not widely recognized or implemented. But I do know a bit about the concepts behind it which I could share with you.

There is at least one antisocial/psychopath at this site: http://www.psychforums.com/antisocial-personality/ who is going through treatment. He might have some tips.
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

tohelpafriend has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
110 hugs
given
Default Re: boyfriend with antisocial personality disorder

Don't try to be a rescuer, even out of love. If he wants a stable relationship with you, and recognizes his need for help, he'll get it. I have read, as the member's post above explains, that psychopaths and sociopaths will manipulate and use any info they get in therapy, expecially how to target vulnerable women/victims. Be careful; there is a theroy known as the "betrayal bond", i.e., one can stay bonded to someone who hurt them. They just are predators and using is their power. Be careful, be wise. It's all about them, not even their pain; their motives are for revenge with no remorse, no guilt, no apology, no love, no humanity. 'Don't mean to generalize here, is what I learned from a sociopath.

Last edited by tohelpafriend; 05-17-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typos; sentence changes
tohelpafriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

JaxLiz has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Smile Re: boyfriend with antisocial personality disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy79 View Post
My ex-boyfriend has been diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. Everything that I read tells me to run the other direction and that there is no hope. I am having trouble even finding a therapist who will treat such a condition. I don't want to give up on him... any advice on where to turn for help?

I have everyone telling me to take care of myself... I'm a pretty strong girl... I am trying to find help for him.
I have never done any of this sort of thing, but you may be able to find some help at your local abuse center. If not therapy, they do at least have support groups. Sometimes you just have to love yourself more than you do someone else. I'm in the same boat as you are and am having to look at a lot of different issues. I have moved out and I do see him, but I am also learning a lot about his condition and also abount myself....I have no ide as to how it will all work out but I do know that I do not want to spend the rest of my life being treated poorly.
JaxLiz is offline   Reply With Quote