Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Partners of People & Caregivers Support

advertisement
Unread 10-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

DontSayIt has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default What is normal for an 84 year old?

Hi

I'm hoping to find some thoughts on my situation and in advance, thank you for those thoughts.

I am a health aide for an 84 year old woman. I am not trained, just honest, smart, and industrious. My usual crowd is on the other end of the age spectrum. I am also a part-time nanny.

It seems like the woman that I help and her daughter run themselves ragged trying to fix her mother's health issues. Her Mom has high blood pressure, diabeties, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, chronic back pain, and several other concerns. The issue that currently gives her the most trouble is blood pressure.

She is on... three meds specifically for blood pressure and at least one (off the top of my head, possibly more) as blockers/inhibitors that are also to lower blood pressure. She takes a total of 18 meds orally, plus aspirin, one patch (for pain), two inhalers (asthma), one syrup (constipation), a couple cremes for skin problems, and she has a BPAP machine for sleep apnea.

18 is less than she was taking a few months ago. Her blood pressure was getting uncontrollable (with meds) She's very inactive and doesn't seem to have a choice in the matter lately. Her main med for BP was changed due to how often it was going up. Since then her meds have been changed and changed and changed. She's been experiencing severe dizziness and nausea, she says it comes in waves.

I've been trying to find any natural substitutes for the meds because I'm hoping they could reduce these symptoms. The other part I don't know enough about it what to expect for a woman with so many health issues at her age? Her doctor doesn't want her blood pressure above 140. I read online that Blood pressure reaching 140 for a person over the age of 50 is "normal" well, maybe not normal, but.... So if that's true, she's 34 years past that mark and I don't think dr's are as concerned with what's "normal" for her age and condition. They see her constantly, for the past several months she has had a minimum of 2 appointments/month and tests after tests. A couple months ago I went on a three week trip and prior to that she had five appointments crammed in before I left. I sometimes wonder who is trying to help and who is padding their wallets?

What's going on here? What is true? Am I cold or realistic?

Thanks again
DontSayIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Legendary

bebop has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What is normal for an 84 year old?

not sure but people that age typically have alot of health issues. I would say don't mess with the meds. drs know her best.
bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #3

My Mood:

5 yr Member

I wouldn't change anything without approval, the doctors have done all of the changing on their own. It seems like an answer was found recently, literally today...

She has "orthostatic hypertension" and that might be spelled completely incorrectly. She's been very inactive lately and spends most of her time laying or lounging in bed with the tv on. Her blood pressure going up and down quickly, which is caused by "orthostatic hypertension," will cause dizziness, nausea, etc.

Her daughter and I, with a little help from her primary doctor will be coming up with regular activities for her and easing her back into being more active. Slowly, definitely.

It seems like something so obvious!

Inactivity... feeling ill. Geez!
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

nonightowl misses her best friend and his kitties :-(

My Mood:

5 yr Member
900 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontSayIt View Post
I wouldn't change anything without approval, the doctors have done all of the changing on their own. It seems like an answer was found recently, literally today...

She has "orthostatic hypertension" and that might be spelled completely incorrectly. She's been very inactive lately and spends most of her time laying or lounging in bed with the tv on. Her blood pressure going up and down quickly, which is caused by "orthostatic hypertension," will cause dizziness, nausea, etc.

Her daughter and I, with a little help from her primary doctor will be coming up with regular activities for her and easing her back into being more active. Slowly, definitely.

It seems like something so obvious!

Inactivity... feeling ill. Geez!
I agree, Don't. That should be a no-brainer, especially for doctors! And, doctors don't always know everything. Sometimes they don't communicate with each other or agree with each other, in the case of multiple doctors! I know second & third opinions can be worth the trouble of getting...

"Darn...What chapter was that in?"
nonightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Her doctors are communicating more now than before. I'm kind of worried about her. Her husband passed away almost one month ago and although they had been living in seperate places for four years, I'm also concerned that she might be depressed. She can't describe how she feels well and can do a lot when she has to. If she doesn't have to leave the house or if the P.T. isn't coming over, then she doesn't even get out of her pajamas. I've found some local programs and I hope I can motivate her to get going. I hope the therapist that she occasionally sees can really step up to the plate here.
Unread 10-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Grand Poohbah

ziggy1 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

My mom is 83 and is a breast cancer survivor and colon cancer survivor.
She takes about 4 meds and aricept which was just added because her short term memory is between 3-5 minutes.

All of her blood work and labs are normal though. 18 meds is alot, but I'm
not a doctor, although I do beleive some doctors do over prescribe.

My mom naps alot through the afternoon and early evening. She also uses
Oxygen because she has interstitial lung disease in which the lungs dry up
and are unable to take in oxygen through the air.

Ive always been baffled by her illnesses because she never smoked or drank. The pulmonologist says she probably has the lung condition from
2nd hand smoke because she frequented bingo halls for years before they
banned smoking in public places. My dad and her sisters were smokers
to so she was exposed to their smoke.

I give you credit for looking after her it takes alot of patience and a caring
person to do this type of work. And then your a Nanny too, WOW...
You have you hands full...

Although for me it has become quite rewarding as time has gone on
especially being an only child and no outside help from relatives.

I've studied herbal remedies before and supplements and my mom takes
natural teas, and vitamin E, plus a multi-vitamin. Plus we are both vegetarians. This saves us lots of money allowing to eat more fruit and
vegetables. Although with this economy and the way inflation has been
alot of folks cannot afford the healthier foods to eat.

I am a big believer in good dietary habits in regards to physical and mental
health. I don't think your cold at all just concerned and realistic.

Take Care
ziggy1
(Dave)

p.s. feel free if you ever need to compare notes...
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
848 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lower-Bloo...oods&id=794898

There are natural foods that help lower blood pressure. There is no reason for her to not have normal blood pressure. My mom is 88 and has it well under control, some through meds, some through foods.

IDK about medicines, but check them online with the manufacturers. Could be one of them is causing higher blood pressure? If so, see if the doctor can change it to one that won't. (They often, unfortunately, push the med that the drug companies push on them and give them free samples for.)

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Grand Poohbah

ziggy1 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Yes sky my moms blood pressure is great too with out any meds, because
she eats healthy and uses natural supplements and foods and she is 83.

All her blood work is great kidneys, heart, thyroid, no diabetes....etc....

diet does make a big difference!!! 4 Sure!!