Unread 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default What animals can you keep in a small apartment?

I can't keep a dog because they are high maintenance and I don't want to ruin my tiny patio by letting it poop on it, and there's no way I can let a dog poop in the house. I'm moving out soon, but not sure how soon. I'm looking for a low maintenance animal, but I like all animals. If you live in an apartment with pets I would like to know your experience on what you have and how you take care of them, thanks!

I am definitely getting fish, and seriously considering an older cat, maybe a kitten, but what do I do if I want to go away for a night or two?

My second favorite pet I'd like to have would be rats. Taking care of them seems straightfoward and people say they are great companions. I already have names picked out: Scabbers (Ron Weasely's rat) and Lenny (Of Mice and Men)

Other pets I am interested in: snakes, rabbits, turtles, and other reptiles. I don't want birds because they are loud and you can't cuddle with a bird.

I've owned a snake and couldn't handle it, but that was before my dx. The problem was I had to shower every time I touched my snake or even the cage, but I have been working really hard to get over this fear and I think I would be more comfortable taking care of it if I have a set plan of proper hygeine and feeding days.

What would be a good starter pet for an apartment? This would be my first pet on my own and I am really excited to take care of it.
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What animals can you keep in a small apartment?

You can get a couple of rats THey are low maintenance, require a good sized cage though, and they are super friendly/playful. I have rats myself and all i have to do is freshen up their cages every now and then and feed them every day. Some people let their rats roam around the house but you have to make it rat-proof, so i just have them in the cage or in my lap

krisakira is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

By the way, a cat can survive just fine a night or two alone. If your cat is destructive, might want to seclude them to 1 room though

krisakira is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yeah, I own a cat and a dog, and whenever we go on vacation, we're more worried about the dog and have to get a dog sitter. You just can't leave a dog by himself. I really wish I could own a dog but I can't handle it right now. Cats are different though I'm great with cats.
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Legendary

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,654 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

A cat is probably easy, you can leave them for a couple of days with water and plenty of dried cat food set out and they can have a litter box. They don't have to go outside, they can be inside cats and they can be affectionate.

Open Eyes
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

What about raising chicks from an egg!?!? I have "helped" raise chicks as a 6th grade class project, but that would be so cool to do that! I would give it away when it hatches, but are chicks something you can raise in an apartment? I would have room for the chicks, but idk how ideal it would be.
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Wandering soul

Fresia misses terribly a friend that has passed

My Mood:

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Having a pet is wonderful and rewarding, but it also comes with great responsibility.

It is fabulous you are considering all this before you move, because on one hand it can be difficult to find places that allow pets. Be sure to ask, when looking into the apartments, what pets they allow as there can be restrictions; some do not allow any pets at all. For the ones that do allow it, there may be deposits required (which may or may not be refundable), and something to ask about and consider. If you really want a pet, this can influence your decision into which place you end up choosing or in the choice of pet. Some animals are harder to find places that will accept them, deposit or not.

For the animals interested in, I would research their care first and foremost so you know what is involved in caring for them as this can quickly help in making a decision to match with your lifestyle and with what you are willing to do; some have greater needs than others, more cost, and is better to know what you might be in for ahead of time. Visit the pet stores, talk to the staff to find more about them, contact your vet to ask about the animal/its needs/costs of vet bills, and be with the actual critter to see what they are like in person to help with the decision. They can look good on paper and what others can tell you, but unless you get a good feel for the animal in person to find that personal interest and connection, that's what makes all the difference in the world.

Truly, best wishes in finding the right pet for you!

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. -M.Angelou
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. -Ana´s Nin.
It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
-Dalai Lama XIV

Last edited by Fresia; 03-16-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Fresia is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

i am considering moving back into the apartment I grew up in. They charged $400 per pet plus a monthly charge, but my parents just snuck in a kitten and a german shepard puppy and no one bothered us. The German shepard fit surprisingly, and he was bigger than normal shepards, but the apartment was still small. We lived near a dog park which he loved. I think I can do the same thing and try to avoid the costs of the deposit.

You are absolutely right. I had a big rats phase, but how do I know I won't get freaked out by their tail if I don't actually handle one? And some rabbits hate being handled.
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Anonymous32437
Anonymous32437 has no updates. Edit

dogs can live up to 15+ years. are you prepared for that type of a commitment? cost wise? time wise? large breed dogs require much food...& unfortunately many places now refuse to rent to those with certain breeds due to insurance issues...it isn't just a matter of sneaking them in anymore...while not every rottie, pittie, dobie, etc is a bad dog...lots of places don't want to know & neither do their insurers.

my cats lived for 19 & 20 years. again much time, commitment, expense. not just a phase..

i think a pet...who is more than just a "pet" but a family member has to be something that is a true calling to you kind of thing...not just something you get on a whim...i mean do the research etc by all means but anything with a decade long (or more) lifespan is more than just a whim.

every animal has +/- but you have to decide what you can handle or manage & then live with for a long period of time. as well as what you will do if something should happen & you can no longer care for this pet of yours. vet costs too.

good luck with your decision.

& not for nothing.i doubt any apartment complex is going to let you raise baby chicks. no one is going to want to be a neighbor to col sanders...even if you are going to give them away...& to who are you goiing to give them? shots, etc...lreal life's never that easy....
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've had my cat for 13 years now, but it will be different when I move out. I really can't tell right now how it's gonna be, but I'm just doing my research.