There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Social Chat > Our Pets

advertisement
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Anonymous32723
Anonymous32723 has no updates. Edit

Angry Neutered, and still humping

Ok,

So I got my dog neutered 4 days ago. Today, he tried to hump my brother's leg. So, I called the animal hospital...

And the vet said that sometimes, even after being neutered, dogs still hump to try and achieve dominance. Seriously?!? Now I have to try to train him to stop this behaviour.

If I had known the humping would still continue (although, it's definitely not as often), maybe I wouldn't have paid for the stupid surgery in the first place! Man, I'm frustrated.
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Poohbah

alwaysrejoice has hope for the future.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Neutered, and still humping

Mine does that too even though he is neutered. After reading your post I realize he really isn't doing it that much at all. How old is he?
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Anonymous32723
Anonymous32723 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysrejoice View Post
Mine does that too even though he is neutered. After reading your post I realize he really isn't doing it that much at all. How old is he?
He'll be 6 months in a few days.
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Poohbah

alwaysrejoice has hope for the future.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Mine is a year and a half. He is really starting to get out of his puppy stage and become a young adult, lol. I would bet yours will grow out of it too.
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Trying

lynn P. Taking Babysteps

5 yr Member
2,706 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I just found an article on this subject and it says the humping isn't always about sex - it can be a domination alpah dog struggle or it could be your dog needs more attention. Firstly all the members of your family need to be higher than the dog - this means your dog is the lower one of the pack. This doesn't mean being mean at all, just firm and consistent. I suspect by the young age, your dog needs more exercise and attention - taking him for a run everyday and playing some fun tug of war. Buy him a strong rawhide or nylon bone to chew on because the article states, the desire to chew as being one of the causes they hump.

When i took our dog for training, she taught us the 'relax command' - where you help your dog lay on his side and place 2 hands, one on the side of head and the other on the ribcage. Firmly say relax and as you feel him relaxing, you pet him calmly - so at first it seems firm but actually turns into a bonding pet time. Anytime my dog is hyper, I say relax and she immediately flops on her side and stays. Here's the article and its very interesting:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ur-dog-humping

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

lynn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

roads has no updates.

3 yr Member
2,551 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Four days isn't long enough for the pre-surgery hormones to have cleared his system. Also this behaviour is part habit too, not just hormones. Give the poor guy a chance!

Besides, the main benefits of neutering are:
--hundreds fewer unwanted animals
--a healthier pet with fewer vet bills down the road
roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Poohbah

SophiaG reading and posting.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
59 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My dog still humps sometimes and he is 14. He usually does it when we have guests in the house and he gets really really really excited by the presence of all the new people.

Then he humps a guests leg and we have to kennel him.

>.>
In depression . . . faith in deliverance, in ultimate restoration, is absent. The pain is unrelenting, and what makes the condition intolerable is the...feeling felt as truth...that no remedy will come -- not in a day, an hour, a month, or a minute. . . . It is hopelessness even more than pain that crushes the soul.-William Styron
SophiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Anonymous32437
Anonymous32437 has no updates. Edit

yes humping is a dominance related behavior amongst dogs..BUT as i mentioned to you before it takes a while for his hormones to decrease after the surgery...they just do not decrease after the operation right like that. it usually takes about 2 weeks.

dogs learn thru behavior...he has to learn his role in a pack thru behavior..which includes humping unfortunately...as his testosterone levels decrease the behavior will also..plus as he ages this too will help. you have to be patient. even females hump to sort out pack levels..it has nothing to do with sex...spayed, neutered older, etc. if you watch dogs interact this is how they play, settle pack order etc. it is natural. your dog is entering his young adulthood & like a young adult he needs to figure out how to get along with others.

as a puppy he got away with many behavior because he was a puppy..now he is older & the adult dogs he interacts with will not be as leniant with him. they will tell him off & put him in his place.

by neutering him you make sure that :

1. he can not impregnate any females (over 60,000 dogs are killed daily because they can not be adopted...do you want to be part of that problem because maybe he gets loose when a dog in your area is in heat?)

2. his behavior will likely include marking in the house if he is intact & others homes too if he feels the need to claim the area as his own. neutered dogs are usually better at not doing this.

3. he does not have the risk of certain cancers.

he is a dog...he is not perfect...just like a child...they are not perfect..you as a pet owner are there to teach & correct him & lead him in the right direction.

i recommend getting the book "dog ownership for dummies" or something similar to help you along the path...he will be with you for a long time hopefully...10-12 years. you want it to be a positive relationship...i can tell you right now..it won't be perfect...few relationships ever are..we all make mistakes but a little knowledge can make them small.

are you taking him to a training class?
socializing him outside? going to a dog park? getting him lots of exercise?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Poohbah

roxiesmom333 Click to C better.Beautiful Cedar Waxwing

My Mood:

3 yr Member
107 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My dog Chloe humps her big stuffed animal zebra everyday after lunch! No kidding!
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Wandering soul

Fresia has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

As mentioned about the hormones clearing their systems, my Lab continued to hump for about 3-4 weeks following neutering and then stopped. He may very just need some more time and growing up to do as he figures out his place in the home as others have mentioned above.

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. -M.Angelou
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. -Anas Nin.
It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
-Dalai Lama XIV
Fresia is offline   Reply With Quote