Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Robin had Parkinson's disease

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-ro...744481702.html

He was in the early stages and had not opened up about it yet.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

CANDC has no updates.

5 hugs
given
Default Re: Robin had Parkinson's disease

Confronting and accepting our challenges is difficult
CANDC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

Illegal Toilet is a stupid name, when you think about it.

3 yr Member
87 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Not a death sentence, my grandfather had parkinson's and it wasn't too debilitating. I think it just aged him a little prematurely.
Illegal Toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Administrator
Community Support Team

sabby Who am I? I'm me. Why am I here? Because I'm nowhere else.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
3,087 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Parkinson's reacts differently in everyone. Some become debilitated much more quickly than others. Some respond better to the medications than others.

It could be possible that he knew someone in his family who had the disease and didn't want to put his family or himself through it. I have a dear friend who has gone downhill so much in the past 2 years. He is only 60. He's dealt with it for a number of years now and it's really taking off now. He was a hard worker all his life, truck driver, logger, lots of different things, and now, he has difficulty sitting up, sitting still, eating, expressing himself. It's very hard to watch.

We all react differently to difficult news such as this. I'm sure he had his reasons.....but I'm twice as sure that his loved ones would rather have him around, regardless of how the disease would have treated him.
sabby is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Poohbah
MotownJohnny has no updates.

My Mood:

32 hugs
given

Well, he made a choice, whether or not it was the one that was "right" - for him or anyone else. In hindsight, it's easy to say "should have" but until you are there ... I feel bad for him, and for his family. It's a shame that he was so "alone" yet no doubt surrounded by people.

Obviously, people can survive with Parkinson's - Michael J. Fox as a prime example from the same industry. But it must be hard. It was probably just the straw that broke the camel's back for Robin Williams.
MotownJohnny is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Grand Magnate

Illegal Toilet is a stupid name, when you think about it.

3 yr Member
87 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Is suicide really a choice though?
Illegal Toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Grand Poohbah

H3rmit keeps trying.

My Mood:

1,288 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illegal Toilet View Post
Yes, it can be a valid choice, for sure. For some reasons I posted in another thread, however, it doesn't quite look like it in this case, sadly. Maybe it was. I'll never know, of course.

H3rmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

CANDC has no updates.

5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illegal Toilet View Post
I am not of the opinion that that suicide is a choice in the same way that meds or therapy are. Parkinson's can be tough, but it also can be manageable with medication.
I just don't want to condone suicide as a rational alternative. To me it is against the natural flow of life. If you get sick and die, that is part of life. If you take your own life you never know what you could have done if you had stuck around.
There was a time when I was down and out, but a phrase came to me and stuck with me. PS: I am not an avid football player.
Quote:
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
by VINCE LOMBARDI
I was anything but tough, but this prod made something in me grow in determination. Maybe it was my own anger not to submit to giving up. But that was a positive prod for me that got me determined to go on even if I failed.
So I say to anyone entertaining thoughts of ending life to keep on going. We will get through this somehow. Go on dear friend...go on.

Last edited by CANDC; 08-17-2014 at 06:26 PM.
CANDC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Wise Elder

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Wow, I am sorry, I did not realize this thread was accepted because of the other ones that have gotten posted about how it has been learned that Robin Williams had Parkinsons.

I noticed an article about a statement made by a very good friend of his that discussed how the medication to treat Parkinsons can actually have "suicidal thoughts and actions" as a side effect of the drug. I will have to see if I can find that article because it also mentioned how a lot of drugs can have horrible side effects and that a lot of lives are lost because of medications.

What can happen is that Parkinson's alone can present a challenge with suicidal thoughts, and, that can be complicated by a medication to treat it that also can present that side effect too. Any drug that changes our brain chemistry "can" have dangerous side effects and in case one has not noticed, these dangerous side effects are often discussed in commercials now when different drugs are advertized.

Actually, I have experienced serious side effects from medication myself. I was given an implant of the drug called Lupron in an effort to stop me from menustrating after I had lazor surgery for endometriosis. The idea was to give my uterus time to heal. That implant slowly depleated me of estrogen "completely" and that resulted in me suffering from completely debilitating depression where I could not even get out of bed and function at all really. Sigh....even then my family decided that OE just went and had a complete mental breakdown. I managed to see the gynocologist who was very sensitive and promised me he knew how he could help me. He put me on estrogen replacement medication and Zoloft but he did not explain to me that the reason I had been challenged was due to the side effect of the Lupron. At that time the doctors were learning about this problem, but it was not made public knowledge.

Once I got better which took a couple of months tbh, I felt normal again but for several years I had a worry that "what if I break down again and what caused me to do that?".
It was not fair to me to not tell me and that I had that deep fear all that time. It was not fair that my family felt that I might be somehow "mentally unstable" either.

I see all the different questions surrounding Robin Williams about "why and did he even leave a note" etc, and honestly, it could be that he was so bad he did not even have the mind to leave a note. I have been there and believe me, it is not the kind of decision one would think it is.

I agree with CANDC, that if thoughts go in that direction it is crucial to reach out for help because often that thinking is actually a reaction and irrational and not some kind of decision that has been well thought out in a rational way.

Personally, I am deeply saddened that Robin Williams was alone and IMHO, he should have been watched more than he was and I think he had been expressing the danger signs that were overlooked, I know that can happen as I have experienced that myself.
No one should be alone with that, no one.

OE

Last edited by Open Eyes; 08-18-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
Anonymous100125
Anonymous100125 has no updates. Edit

OE, your experience with the Lupron sounds absolutely terrible.

I'm fairly sure that Robin Williams did leave a note. We'll hear more about it, I'm sure.

I won't sit in judgment of his suicide. Judging him is just way too easy to do.