Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #1

Lillybird90 I'm losing my mind and all I can do is smile and wave as it walks out the door.

My Mood:

207 hugs
given
Confused How to deal with being recently diagnosed with MI?

Recently diagnosed with a MI of
Schizophrenia/paranoid type.
Depression.
Dissociative disorder.

What can I do to cope with this recent diagnosis because this is almost too much to handle...It just floored me and is almost unbearable to get over because I am going to have to live with these problems of the rest of my life,I almost wish I had never gone to a doctor over this.ignorance is bliss as they say...but now I have this diagnosis so what next?do I just go on like nothing happened or do I keep going over how terrible it is slowly making myself suffer or what?because I am lost now.I feel so lost now.

Click Here for my blog.
Lillybird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
Grand Magnate

amandalouise wife/mom/lesbian/survivor

5 yr Member
140 hugs
given
Default Re: How to deal with being recently diagnosed with MI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillybird90 View Post
Recently diagnosed with a MI of
Schizophrenia/paranoid type.
Depression.
Dissociative disorder.

What can I do to cope with this recent diagnosis because this is almost too much to handle...It just floored me and is almost unbearable to get over because I am going to have to live with these problems of the rest of my life,I almost wish I had never gone to a doctor over this.ignorance is bliss as they say...but now I have this diagnosis so what next?do I just go on like nothing happened or do I keep going over how terrible it is slowly making myself suffer or what?because I am lost now.I feel so lost now.
how to cope well each person has their own coping skills and what works for them so in order to figure out how .....you ...cope you will need to look inside yourself and figure out what makes you feel better, what you need to do to help yourself over this hurdle....

what to do next ....that depends on what you and your own treatment providers think is the best thing to do for you...

example when I was diagnosed what to do next depended upon each of my diagnosis and what was needed for that diagnosis....for my bipolar I was put on medication and therapy, for depression it was medication, therapy and learning how to recognize when I was in depression, for my multiple Sclerosis where to go next involved physical therapy and medication, for my Dissociative disorders where to go next for me was learning how to stay grounded in reality rather than dissociating.....

only you and your treatment providers know what to do for you and what are your options for what to do now that you have a diagnosis....

do you keep going over it making your self miserable...well thats up to you whether you want to feel miserable or follow what ever your treatment providers tell you that can help you to feel better.

my suggestion contact your treatment providers they are the ones that diagnosed you so they will be the ones to tell you the answers to all these questions you now have about being diagnosed, how you should cope...

amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Legendary Wise Elder &
Senior
Community Liaison

Travelinglady says, "New and need help? Contact us Community Liaisons!"

My Mood:

3 yr Member
11,799 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

And we have many folks here with some of those diagnoses. So, you can contact them in the related forums, if you would like. I feel better knowing I am not the only one with my diagnoses, and I can talk to people here who understand, unlike some folks who might even back away from me when they hear I have mental-illness labels. Their loss and ignorance, is what I say.

That said, I can understand how what you learned was a big shock. But AmandaLouise offers some great advice. What you (and me, too) need to do is try not to dwell on these labels, but get the help we need to cope with them. Life is not over, but in a way is just beginning because now you can get the help you need to make it better.
Unread 05-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Poohbah
MotownJohnny has no updates.

My Mood:

43 hugs
given

First of all, be sure the diagnosis is accurate. I was told I was bipolar - by a doctor I later found out has a terrible reputation and apparently diagnoses everyone as bipolar. In my case, it was completely wrong -- and completely devastating, to the point I was willing and contemplating killing myself over it, because the thought of living with that the rest of my life was overwhelming. I totally understand how you feel now - like life is over. I felt that way. It really doesn't have to be. But it does take a period of adjustment, and a lot of determination.

I will say this -- please don't "buy into it" -- I think the MH system is rotten to the core, and it really doesn't "want people to get better". That is my own opinion, based on what I saw and experienced, and filtered through a whole lot of bitterness and anger, so take that for what it is. But, what I am saying is ... don't let yourself feel like "I'm just a mental patient" and certainly don't let anyone treat you like that. Live your life according to what you want to do, and how you want to do it. And, if people tell you "you can't, because ..." tell them to f off!
MotownJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Grand Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Try to keep in mind having the diagnoses don't change who you are or anything, its just an explanation for issues you have...so its possible to get help with those specific things. As the one poster said though the medical/mental health system can be kinda crappy, so even take professional advice with a grain of salt if they try to push something that you don't think helps and makes things worse then you have every right to find a more respectful psychiatrist, therapist or whatever.

Even if you didn't have the diagnoses, you'd still have the issues associated with them but no name for it....also not sure if this fits your situation necessarily but if all that prevents you from working having a diagnoses helps with getting on disability if one needs to do that.