Unread 05-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Grand Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Have you thought about and/or escaped from a psych ward?

Ok perhaps this comes off as a strange question, but last time I was in the psych ward there was a patient there who had escaped but ended up being brought back. So I was just curious if anyone here has experienced that. Also first time I was in the psych ward the thought of escaping did cross my mind as it just was not a very good facility in my opinion and felt it wasn't going to do me any good staying there and I wanted to go outside. I ended up just saying I had things under control and wanted to leave which ended up working out....but I was certainly thinking of escape plans in case they didn't let me out. Though the second time it was much better allowed for at least a short walk once a day outside and I felt safe so didn't really think about that too much and I really did want the help.
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Poohbah

TheOriginalMe has support at last

My Mood:

2,371 hugs
given
Default Re: Have you thought about and/or escaped from a psych ward?

I was a voluntary patient so in theory I was free to come and go as I wanted. The reality was that I was on 20 minute suicide watch and as there were staff shortages I had to stay on the ward. One day, a nurse dragged me out of my room and half way down the corridor before realising she'd got the wrong patient (though what the other poor soul had done I never did find out). Anyhow, I totally freaked out, hit her and ran off, I got into the city centre, about a mile from the hospital, but I didn't have any money and I don't think I was properly dressed either. I panicked because I thought I might be arrested so after a couple of hours I went back to the hospital.

When I went back I was terrified about what would happen, but my pdoc was there and he was furious with the nursing staff for putting me at risk, he said I'd acted in self defence when I hit the nurse (but actually I hit her because I was angry). After that the nurses treated me really well and I was kinda popular with the other patients because I'd "beaten the system" and most of them wanted to punch that particular nurse, even some of the staff wanted to hit her too.
TheOriginalMe is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Grand Member

smmath is taking steps in the wrong direction

My Mood:

2 yr Member
869 hugs
given

I didn't really escape illegally, but I did convince my parents to let me go home just to prove that I could. So technically I didn't do anything wrong as the court released me, but I should have stayed longer.
smmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Magnate
Chat Leader

Grey Matter As strange as it may seem, it's best not to breathe.

My Mood:

1,069 hugs
given

I 'tried' at one point. I was in a good hospital, but people triggered me easily because many of the people there in treatment were loud as hell. Which at the time, was a huge trigger for my PTSD. I made it to the courtyard, I bummed a cigarette off of someone, then returned. Little did I know, a nurse followed me about to make sure I was okay.

Other than that, I never attempted again, no.
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Parley has no updates.

My Mood:

I’ve never been in a psych ward but when I was younger, many years ago, I considered breaking into one. I wanted to hide in a padded room so no one would mess with my head. It wasn’t logical but it gave me hope.

My apologies for being a bit off topic~ I guess it just made me think and I'm working on my sharing skills.

Hugs from:
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Grand Member

Bark dozes off.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
6,239 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've always been there voluntarily, so not really. A friend I met inpatient escaped twice, I think; once when I was there. It was kind of funny actually; they ran out the door of the ward, terrified the cleaning staff who had just left (apparently he was trembling), but weren't able to escape the floor we were on. I think I was the one who brought attention to the fact that maybe they had escaped. I was a good little patient and stayed inside.

Ah, the memories.... Although now that I think of it, when I was doing really poorly, I ran an escape plan in my head. I know the hospital quite well, so I might have actually managed to pass the security guards without them seeing me. Of course I never explained how to my friend.
Bark is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Grand Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMe View Post
I was a voluntary patient so in theory I was free to come and go as I wanted. The reality was that I was on 20 minute suicide watch and as there were staff shortages I had to stay on the ward. One day, a nurse dragged me out of my room and half way down the corridor before realising she'd got the wrong patient (though what the other poor soul had done I never did find out). Anyhow, I totally freaked out, hit her and ran off, I got into the city centre, about a mile from the hospital, but I didn't have any money and I don't think I was properly dressed either. I panicked because I thought I might be arrested so after a couple of hours I went back to the hospital.

When I went back I was terrified about what would happen, but my pdoc was there and he was furious with the nursing staff for putting me at risk, he said I'd acted in self defence when I hit the nurse (but actually I hit her because I was angry). After that the nurses treated me really well and I was kinda popular with the other patients because I'd "beaten the system" and most of them wanted to punch that particular nurse, even some of the staff wanted to hit her too.
I thought I was voluntary the last time but technically wasn't so if I wanted to leave they wouldn't have let me...after a few days there I signed a thing to be 'voluntary' but yeah I thought once the initial 72 hour hold was over I was just automatically voluntary.
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Anonymous100108
Anonymous100108 has no updates. Edit

yup.

the place i went to had an outside basketball court with an 8' wooden fence. After the fence - you just had to cross about 200 yards of grass and you were back on the city streets. So one good jump and the flip over - and freedom.

I may be weird (okay, I KNOW I am weird) but the concept always sounded funny as hell to me. I don't know if they would freak or if the cops would come after me or if that breaks some kind of law.... I do not know. But I love the idea.
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
The ghost at #1

George H. out like a tiger

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,567 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've never been but the thought of escape might appeal just for the experience

était-ce un rêve?
était-ce juste un rêve?
George H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Nightside of Eden has no updates.

3 yr Member
3 hugs
given

I thought seriously about breaking someone else out. I was completely ready to drive my Cadillac through the front doors of that place to get my fiance out, so ready that I think my mom being with me is the only thing that stopped me. Deadly force seemed totally logical and justified in that moment.

And I'm the one who WASN'T locked up. The world is a strange place...
Nightside of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote