Grand Member

Bark sleeps.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,722 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Short-term memory

My short-term is horrible! It's been driving me crazy. My memory for faces, names, conversations, things to do, things I did....

I'm going to start the washing machine again because I forgot to add detergent; this is after I already forgot once. So I've been washing one and a half cycles in water!

If I get distracted, I forget what I was talking about and often need a prompt. Sometimes the distraction is my own mind!

Any suggestions, strategies? It's never been great, but now it's horrible. Once I had memory problems caused by a medication I was on. Now I'm not on any psychotropic medications, but it's about as bad as it was then. I wonder if it's because I stopped my meds cold-turkey.

Right, the laundry!
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder &
Senior
Community Liaison

Travelinglady says, "New and need help? Contact us Community Liaisons!"

My Mood:

3 yr Member
10,942 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Short-term memory

I wish I could help, but I am having problems, too. So, I am hoping for some advice!
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Grand Poohbah

Webgoji is somewhere between Kansas and Nibbana

My Mood:

623 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
My short-term is horrible! It's been driving me crazy. My memory for faces, names, conversations, things to do, things I did....

I'm going to start the washing machine again because I forgot to add detergent; this is after I already forgot once. So I've been washing one and a half cycles in water!

If I get distracted, I forget what I was talking about and often need a prompt. Sometimes the distraction is my own mind!

Any suggestions, strategies? It's never been great, but now it's horrible. Once I had memory problems caused by a medication I was on. Now I'm not on any psychotropic medications, but it's about as bad as it was then. I wonder if it's because I stopped my meds cold-turkey.

Right, the laundry!
I half wonder something ... I'm having all kinds of memory problems myself and I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the way the depressed mind functions. I don't know your diagnosis, but myself, I have Major Depressive Disorder. So my brain simply isn't as active as a normal brain. Throw in a major episode and I wonder if it flat out can't get memories stored because part of the brain is pretty much shut down completely.

I don't know if that might be your problem or not, just something I've run into and don't really know the answer to yet.
Webgoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Grand Member

Bark sleeps.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,722 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
I half wonder something ... I'm having all kinds of memory problems myself and I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the way the depressed mind functions. I don't know your diagnosis, but myself, I have Major Depressive Disorder. So my brain simply isn't as active as a normal brain. Throw in a major episode and I wonder if it flat out can't get memories stored because part of the brain is pretty much shut down completely.

I don't know if that might be your problem or not, just something I've run into and don't really know the answer to yet.
My psychiatrist pretty much flat-out said it's due to depression and that there's nothing to be done about it. I'm hoping my memory will go back to being not as bad (I'm talking within the last few months even... at least the last year). Until then: any ideas on how to deal with it?
Hugs from:
Unread 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Magnate
newgal2 thinks she may be turning a corner with her depression as a result of ECT

1,472 hugs
given

I'm in a bad depression now and it has definitely affected my memory. I have to think really hard to try to remember conversations, what I did yesterday, etc. Normally, I'm sharp as a tack. Very frustrating . . .

-----------------------------
lamictal
Effexor (this crap is NOT working!)
saphris
trazadone
Xanax
ECT treatment #4 coming up!
newgal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Grand Poohbah

Webgoji is somewhere between Kansas and Nibbana

My Mood:

623 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
My psychiatrist pretty much flat-out said it's due to depression and that there's nothing to be done about it. I'm hoping my memory will go back to being not as bad (I'm talking within the last few months even... at least the last year). Until then: any ideas on how to deal with it?
I tried writing myself notes ... but then I would forget where I put them. So I started writing my notes on myself which works great until I forget I wrote them on myself and wash them off ...

I'm just about to do the whole Memento thing and start tattooing what I need to know to myself.

Memento (2000) - IMDb
Webgoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Grand Member

Bark sleeps.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,722 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
I tried writing myself notes ... but then I would forget where I put them. So I started writing my notes on myself which works great until I forget I wrote them on myself and wash them off ...

I'm just about to do the whole Memento thing and start tattooing what I need to know to myself.

Memento (2000) - IMDb
I write notes when I remember to. Then I have to remember to check them.

Try putting them in the same place and make it a habit of checking that place even if you haven't posted new notes? If you have a smartphone, you can set reminders.

I hate not being able to remember conversations, even sentences, word-for-word. I have to rehearse them in my head in the moment. And even then.... Now this has been long-standing. Ever heard something hilarious on TV and wanted to share it literally right after but you've forgotten the words? Story of my life.
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear in my cave

10 yr Member
9,079 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unread 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Anonymous24413
Anonymous24413 has no updates. Edit

Routine and consistency can be very helpful with distractibility and poor memory. Visual and time cues are helpful as well.

So, if you can establish and keep basically the same daily routine or at least keep some basic events from day to day approximately the same, it can help.
Get up approximately the same time, teeth, shower, eat, coffee, etc in the same order.

Try to do laundry or chores around the same time, get the mail around the same time, appointments for specific doctors or therapy on the same days.

Have a hook for your keys, a box or basket by the door for your wallet, purse, gloves, bus pass, etc. always put those things there. If you walk past it and into the house, turn around and go back to the assigned place and put the things where they belong.

Get a desk calendar, set daily alarms for medications, sign up for google calendars.

Google calendars I have found pretty invaluable. You can choose to integrate it into your desktop or not, and there are ipod, iPhone and iPad apps as well as the google/gmail app. (If you don't have a gmail account you could make one for google calendar and have any alerts forwarded to your main email) it's a great program because you can pretty much set up any number of alerts any time ahead of whatever appointment or task. Some things I have two SMS messages, twelve hours before and two hours before and then an email thirty six and twenty four hours before. And then you can also choose to have a daily agenda sent to you.

Annnywho...
Get three of those little pocket memo notebooks. Put one by the computer, one by the phone or on the kitchen counter and one in your pocket or purse- keep a small pen in the spiral binding.

Get a whiteboard and several colors of dry erase ( the colors may help to differentiate when you try to remember)

Ok. I'm out of tips and tricks haha.

Wait one more!

Important things for the next morning: post it note in bright ink on the bathroom mirror.
You will likely look at it repeatedly while brushing your teeth.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Grand Member

Bark sleeps.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,722 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieTheGirl View Post
Routine and consistency can be very helpful with distractibility and poor memory. Visual and time cues are helpful as well.

So, if you can establish and keep basically the same daily routine or at least keep some basic events from day to day approximately the same, it can help.
Get up approximately the same time, teeth, shower, eat, coffee, etc in the same order.

Try to do laundry or chores around the same time, get the mail around the same time, appointments for specific doctors or therapy on the same days.

Have a hook for your keys, a box or basket by the door for your wallet, purse, gloves, bus pass, etc. always put those things there. If you walk past it and into the house, turn around and go back to the assigned place and put the things where they belong.

Get a desk calendar, set daily alarms for medications, sign up for google calendars.

Google calendars I have found pretty invaluable. You can choose to integrate it into your desktop or not, and there are ipod, iPhone and iPad apps as well as the google/gmail app. (If you don't have a gmail account you could make one for google calendar and have any alerts forwarded to your main email) it's a great program because you can pretty much set up any number of alerts any time ahead of whatever appointment or task. Some things I have two SMS messages, twelve hours before and two hours before and then an email thirty six and twenty four hours before. And then you can also choose to have a daily agenda sent to you.

Annnywho...
Get three of those little pocket memo notebooks. Put one by the computer, one by the phone or on the kitchen counter and one in your pocket or purse- keep a small pen in the spiral binding.

Get a whiteboard and several colors of dry erase ( the colors may help to differentiate when you try to remember)

Ok. I'm out of tips and tricks haha.

Wait one more!

Important things for the next morning: post it note in bright ink on the bathroom mirror.
You will likely look at it repeatedly while brushing your teeth.
I've been saying I need a routine since forever. Hasn't been working out so far.

I have a basket for my stuff. Best idea ever.

When I use my phone calendar or planner/agenda and remember to look at them and update them, they can be helpful. Also I think my lack of motivation is a factor. Now it's pretty low.

Thanks!