Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Skanzi has no updates.

Default Quick question: Always do the dull things first?

I'm just wondering, should I try to do the things i'm least interested in (like homework) first, so I can reward myself with the better things afterwards? Should I always apply this in every situation?
Skanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Poohbah

mazing has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
38 hugs
given
Default Re: Quick question: Always do the dull things first?

I have found that it generally works for me. It helps me to get motivated to do the boring things so I can do the more fun things afterwards

I can't think of many situations where it couldn't help, unless the tasks were time limited etc. It really just depends on the situation I think.
mazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Wise Elder
Community Liaison

gayleggg My sanity is slipping.

My Mood:

3,726 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazing View Post
I have found that it generally works for me. It helps me to get motivated to do the boring things so I can do the more fun things afterwards

I can't think of many situations where it couldn't help, unless the tasks were time limited etc. It really just depends on the situation I think.

I agree with this.

Dx: Bipolar II

Meds:
Clonazepam (Klonopin) .5 mg 3X daily, as needed, Ritalin (Methylphenidate) 10mg AM, 5mg 12PM, 5mg 3PM, Fetzima 80mg daily, Saphris 5mg at bedtime, plus Warfarin, and several heart related meds

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly. Buddha (BC)
gayleggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Account Suspended
vans1974 has no updates.

My Mood:

15 hugs
given
Smile Re: Quick question: Always do the dull things first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanzi View Post
I'm just wondering, should I try to do the things i'm least interested in (like homework) first, so I can reward myself with the better things afterwards? Should I always apply this in every situation?
Hi, I think that is a great idea...I should implement it!!
vans1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think it is a personal preference. If I find something not interesting to do but which I want to do, I figure out a way to make it interesting. I generally don't do things I do not want to do, no matter what "order" I put them in on a list. I don't bother with reward systems because I give myself anything I want when I want it and can't figure out how to change that other than by changing me and what I want. The larger picture helps me most.
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
too SHy has no updates.

My Mood:

203 hugs
given

Yes. Unless it's paying bills, don't just toss them in the trash like I did. I found out one thing: THEY WILL shut off your utilities!
too SHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Skanzi has no updates.

Hmmm... I think it depends really. Sometimes it's better to do more enjoyable things first, because afterwards I feel an increased motivation to do the boring stuff. But it really depends when that is. Sometimes i really feel like doing one particular thing because i feel like I'm emotionally more in-line with that task. If that's the case, i think i should follow. So let's say you still have a lot of work to do, but at that point you feel a lot of physical energy and you really want to exercise. Then you'd be better off training and releasing that energy, and then you can engage in dull tasks afterwards. However, when i'm just trying to find things to keep me distracted from the task I actually should do, then i shouldn't do something like that.

But i'm doubt when it comes to some particular situations. For example when i'm at the gym, and there are a few exercises I really like, and a few exercises i like a lot less but still really have to do due to my training program. In that case, should i do the more boring exercises first and end with the more entertaining exercises?

Or, when i look at the list of youtube video's in my subscription box, and there are a couple of video's i know i'm really gonna like, and a couple of them i don't as much but they're still enjoyable. Start with the less entertaining video's first? Or just watch them in chronological order and not make a big deal out of it?
Skanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Rana Bella

Pfrog has no updates.

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Homework first.

Then play.

That's how I always did it.

Now it's chores first.

Then fun.

That way I can thoroughly enjoy my play time without the big DREAD hanging over my head!

Pfrog is offline   Reply With Quote