Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Amy22 has no updates.

Frown Phobia of Loud Noises

Hi, i am 15 years old and I am still scared of loud noises like thundering, fireworks n stuff. This is seriously so embarrassing. I even secretly burst into tears because of continuous loud noise. My parents think a psychotherapy is just a wastage of money. Can I get any ideas about self-help or something. Please help!
PS It isn't that i have not tried to convince myself that noise can do me no harm
Amy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Grand Poohbah

Pikku Myy ...What next?

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,113 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Phobia of Loud Noises

Same here, especially if these are not anticiapated
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I used to be afraid of that too, and in some cases I still am. Now, I cannot stand loud voices, or arguments, etc.

This all stems from my childhood, when my parents would have HORRIBLE fights, with both screaming and physical type fights. I would put my head under the pillow to try to drown out the noise, but it never worked and it scared me to death. I don't know WHAT I was afraid of -- perhaps that they'd break up or that someone would get killed -- I just can't remember exactly what I was afraid of.

But now, I cannot tolerate loud voices, and if I'm around it I have to remove myself.

As far as storms go, I just tell myself that it's just Nature. Thunder CANNOT hurt you -- it's just a sound. And sounds can't hurt you.

Wishing you the very best. God bless. Hugs, Lee
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
CielSky has no updates.

You may have Sensory Defensive Disorder. There is a good book on this topic: "Too Loud, too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight" by Sharon Heller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy22 View Post
Hi, i am 15 years old and I am still scared of loud noises like thundering, fireworks n stuff. This is seriously so embarrassing. I even secretly burst into tears because of continuous loud noise. My parents think a psychotherapy is just a wastage of money. Can I get any ideas about self-help or something. Please help!
PS It isn't that i have not tried to convince myself that noise can do me no harm
CielSky is offline   Reply With Quote