Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
edward6 has no updates.

My Mood:

1 hugs
given
Default Re: If You Could Take a Pill to Make You Dumber, Would You?

Perhaps, we could extend this idea further, and ask people, if they had two choices in life: they could be rich, successful, smart and beautiful, but stressed and unhappy...or they could be poor, unsuccessful, dumb and ugly, but they would be peaceful, happy and appreciate every moment of their wonderful existence, which would they choose? Maybe, I should throw in an extra 10yrs of life for the latter coz few of us could possibly imagine being fulfilled with what little we've got or that the assets of the former could bring anything but happiness and fulfillment.
edward6 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
Pirate Goddess

Maven feels like a failure.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
532 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Edward6, that's a really good question to pose. Obviously, I'd rather have the choice of being rich, successful, smart, beautiful, and peaceful, happy and appreciate every moment of my existence. But you didn't offer it, so...I'm already stressed and unhappy, without the benefit of being rich, so I'm going to say I'd go for not having the looks and smarts, but having the happiness.

Someone mentioned it would be a bad idea to swap intelligence for happiness. Why? I mean, I can think of some reasons, but I can also think of reasons why one would prefer happiness (because you'd be happy!). Intelligence, on the other hand, can protect us, teach us, and help us progress. Happiness may keep you in the moment. On the one hand, you'd not care if you didn't do anything with your life, if you're happy. What if you "wasted" your whole life, but felt happy the whole time? Why would that be so bad? Why is it better to have bad times, sad times and misery and evolve as a human being?

I'm getting in too deep here. I didn't really expect my question to get enough answers to go to a second page, LOL!

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had some ice cream.

Equal Rights Are Not Special Rights

Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Emotionally Dead has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
71 hugs
given

I have a fear of medications/drugs to begin with. I have adverse reactions to medications, and at times medications have stronger effects on me than they have on others. It's something I am very cautious about. A benadryll can not only make me sleepy, but cause me to sleep for hours and not wake up for anything including my alarm. That's one pill. I have a lot of reactions to medications and therefore I am very cautious about taking any pills and I certainly wouldn't take a medicine that would affect my brain, which the pill you are describing would have to.

If I didn't have the fear of meds, I honestly might consider it. At this point I would consider almost anything to find happiness lol.
Emotionally Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Magnate

yellowted has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
264 hugs
given

I would love a pill to make me dumber if it went as far as making me totally unaware of my expectations of myself, that way i would not get frustrated at what i now am unable to do, exhaust myself trying to carry on as 'normal' or be embarrassed when i miss my mouth in a restraunt or when my incontinence diaper leaks or worse smells! also i would love it to totally errase my memory of everything, so i would be in my own little world and not affected by this one or the people on it.
yellowted is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Maidan Chick

venusss gorila shina palala............

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward6 View Post
Perhaps, we could extend this idea further, and ask people, if they had two choices in life: they could be rich, successful, smart and beautiful, but stressed and unhappy...or they could be poor, unsuccessful, dumb and ugly, but they would be peaceful, happy and appreciate every moment of their wonderful existence, which would they choose? Maybe, I should throw in an extra 10yrs of life for the latter coz few of us could possibly imagine being fulfilled with what little we've got or that the assets of the former could bring anything but happiness and fulfillment.

dumb and poor but peaceful? My friend worked in TESCO and knew such guy. A homeless dude who begged for change to buy box of cheapest wine and chocolate bar... it was a lifestyle of his choice...

see, i cannot see myself "unsuccessful and happy". Not mattering and happy. But if I were dumb, I guess...

But no, I prefer "uhappy" and keep my wit. Cynicism will get me through. I can grab my piece of intensity still.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

http://venushalley1984.wordpress.com/

venusss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Anonymous32850
Anonymous32850 has no updates. Edit

Sure, right after I took the pill that made me crazier.

-Fleeing Bellocq
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Anonymous32897
Anonymous32897 has no updates. Edit

How about pill with a remote switch, activate when needed
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Legendary

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,645 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Actually, I did take a pill to "dull" and "calm" for a while. I didn't want to take it though as I am not one to look for a high or answer in drugs.

Unfortunately with me, I developed PTSD in my brain and I was so overwhelmed with sudden flashbacks and extreme anxiety that I could not function. As most who struggle with it know, it is so scary and confusing when we can't seem to control our brain all of a sudden and don't understand "why". And it is even worse when people around you are so damn ignorant that they make a lot of "hurtful" remarks like "I have had bad things happen to me too, ya just gotta stop dwelling and deal better".

I think the best thing, more than a pill perhaps is to find a way to get rid of the "igorance" in people that don't respect the challenge of someone who is genuinely struggling with their brain somehow.

I am grateful that at least I live in a time where we are learning so much about the brain and can actually "see" the pathology present in many who struggle with what we deem "mental illness".

One of the things that I have learned is that it isn't just that we may have survived a trama or years of abuse, it is that all that stress and emotional challenge often "does some damage to the health of the human brain". If anything, perhaps a medication that can truely help to repair the cells that have been damaged leaving the brain more "sensitive" and "less able to regulate and balance the ebb and flow of our emotional reactions to life's challenges".

I don't think "ignorance is bliss" really all we have to do is observe all the unrest around us and throughout our history of man to know, ignorance leads to waste.

Open Eyes
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Legendary

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,645 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Rather than a pill, I think about how it might have been different for me "if" when I was growing up there was the knowledge we have today available to my parents to actually "help" my older brother instead of "punishing him" for his "disabilites".

Because of the knowlege we now have about Autism, Asbergers, ADHD, dislexia, to name a few, we have developed ways to help these children work around these challenges, rather than "punish them" because they are different and struggle.

I can still remember, as if it was yesterday, being so little and sitting in a "psychiatrists" office hoping that man behind that door would be able to "fix" my older brother. I was terrified of my older brother because he took out his "frustrations" on me. The answer that came from this psychiatrist was for my mother "not" to coddle him, bath him, and that he had to be diciplined much more. Well, that made him worse and my whole environment was "anger, yelling, stress, and screams coming from the shed my brother was taken to for "dicipline".

All my life, I always felt like something was missing somehow. I can remember being in school and just feeling like I didn't have that first part that I needed to understand what I was being asked to learn.

My teachers would tell my parents, all through school, that I was smart but that I didn't "pay attention". What wasn't said was, "This little girl is smart, but you cannot expect her to be able to pay attention in school when her home environment is so stressful to her that she struggles to sleep. That waking up to screaming and yelling and then climbing on a school bus only to witness her older brother being picked on and bullied all the way to school is tiring her out. How can you expect your child to have the ability to pay attention and learn when she is totally stressed out and exhausted by the time classes begin? How can she be expected to retain what we are teaching her when she has another challenging bus ride home and knows her brother has been so punished and abused by other children and teachers all day that she has to "run and hide" because he takes it all out on her? That he is either CSA, or chasing her threatening to hurt her badly.

Ignorance is when this little girl presents with PTSD as a woman in her 50's and is suddenly "reliving" these childhood challenges as if they are happening in the now and her husband yells at her to "stop acting like a child". A middle aged woman sitting in her bed crying like a child, trapped in that state of mind, can't escape it, or understand it, being yelled at, by IGNORANCE. And then some "ignorant" person happens to say, "I had bad life experiences too, you just gotta move on and get over it".

Yes, for a while I did have to take a pill until I got to a point where I could understand "why" I was going through this challenge. The only way I could get rest at night was this "pill" because otherwise at anytime I could wake up "trapped in the worst kind of nightmare I could have ever imagined". And how do you tell other people who are "ignorant" that when you finally do wake up you feel like someone dragged you outside and beat you up so badly your whole body aches everywhere. And at the same time you mind is also "exhausted" and disoriented.

I suppose if there truely was some kind of pill that could just fix that challenge, I would be glad to take it tbh. Unfortunately, there is no pill for that right now. The only thing we have right now is "therapy" and a long path of working through everything that comes forward in the brain. And the everything is a sudden surprise and the only way to gain on it is after the "surprise" happens.

The hardest part is when all the people around you are "ignorant" and come up with these ongoing "just" comments. All the while every minute of every day, that is what you really want, is to "just" again too. And then somewhere in the background some person, know it all says, "Oh, I don't think there really is a PTSD, I think people who say they have it are just looking for "sympathy" or "some excuse" ".

Open Eyes
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Maidan Chick

venusss gorila shina palala............

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Because of the knowlege we now have about Autism, Asbergers, ADHD, dislexia, to name a few, we have developed ways to help these children work around these challenges, rather than "punish them" because they are different and struggle.
do we? Or do we dope them on same substances militaries use for their pilots so they don't sleep and tell them it's perfectly okay not to bother with spelling? (which makes reading hard for dyslectic who try to write with respect to their language).

I don't see much change in school system, but I see lots of "your kid don't like the way I teach? Tell doc to give him pills for that".

different is not punished? How labelling people sick, broken brain and then telling us we are even more sick when we reject labels and "treatment" is not punishing?

take foster care? Kids who are to depressed and anxious in their horrible situation are considered "healthy". Those who react are considered ill and disordered.

don't even get me started on "depression is lying to you" as response to "sad we live in society where football players, models and reality show starlets make more then scientists".

speaking of PTSD... there's a lot of talk about pills to erase traumas. Yes, a lot of comes from Pentagon... and doubt their motives are pure and to help people, eh. Rather attempt to have those fighting as moralless as their leaders.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

http://venushalley1984.wordpress.com/

venusss is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: