Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
just another lost soul

beauflow looked up at the stars, and realized-- she is just a spec on a larger spec...

3 yr Member
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default talking to oneself out loud

I do this all the time, having conversations talk with my self out loud I try not to for it in public but I have been doing it at work more often
It gets bad enough that I started questioning myself if I did it when ppl are around, I think I scared one lady when I went out for a smoke and she quickly went back into the building another I saw in the smoking area just gave me a strange look.

My boyfriend told me this is usually a sign of loneliness anyone else's thoughts?

I tend to do it when really stressed or complex thinking, well wait I do bored too....
Some coworkers that know me for some times just laugh if I'm talking to a vending machine asking it why it doesn't like my money I usually try to make a joke if I'm caught, or coffee machine if I'm making a mess, again maybe humor for some, or say they don't mind, but Idk how normal is this?
beauflow is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Magnate

Miss Laura Been away for so long back on here March 2016

My Mood:

5 yr Member
74 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: talking to oneself out loud

Hey Beauflow,

YES!!! I do this and yes its apparently associated with being lonely. I have actually been caught doing it when I was on NightShift and a colleague talked to me about it.... highly embarrassing btw!! My Parents say I have always been like this. I actually have conversations with "people". I imagine people with me. For instance if I meet someone who seems nice and that I really gotten on with I will imagine them with me. I use to do it more when I was at school and would pretend I was talking to my teachers. I just can't help it. I also use to talk to flowers and plants.... how crazy do I sound lol
Miss Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
just another lost soul

beauflow looked up at the stars, and realized-- she is just a spec on a larger spec...

3 yr Member
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

lol yeah I do the imaginary talking to ppl too, like I been recently doing a convo with an imagination therapy talk guess propping myself but I noted I did this in the elevator at work Lol.. I work nights at the moment maybe that helps with the talking
beauflow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Magnate

Miss Laura Been away for so long back on here March 2016

My Mood:

5 yr Member
74 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I guess there is nothing wrong with it as long as your not hurting people huh!! Flower talking I would recommend though lol
Miss Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Legendary

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I heard or read a study a while back that said people talk to themselves 95% more than they talk to others.

So I wouldn't worry or feel it is abnormal. If fact little children do it all the time in self play and they even have their dolls and stuffed animals over for tea parties.
I think that is why we are so attacted to cell phones and all the networking we do now. We like to think out loud and practice thought patterns and our brain like to exercise the ability for thought and processing.

We even do it more when we are angry or dealing with a lot of stress.

Don't worry about it, it is normal, we are our own best listeners.

Open Eyes
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Virtual Vigilante
Community Liaison

BatsAndButterflies I am light.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
760 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I definitely have conversations with myself out loud. I'm alone a lot :P hahaha

Happy Birthday to Me.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."

BatsAndButterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Magnate

yellowted has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
264 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

i would like to thank whoever invented the hands free phone kits, because of them it looks like most people walking down the street are talking to themselves, so i do not stick out like a sore thumb when my mind wanders and i really am talking to myself!!!! i find my conversations are often ones i have with me, i always get the reply i was looking for!
I talk to myself out loud sometimes just to hear a human voice that is not through electronics. i have on occasion made myself jump when i am home alone and my mind has wandered and i suddenly say something out loud!
yellowted is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

objtrbit not lost I swear

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowted View Post
i would like to thank whoever invented the hands free phone kits, because of them it looks like most people walking down the street are talking to themselves, so i do not stick out like a sore thumb when my mind wanders and i really am talking to myself!!!! i find my conversations are often ones i have with me, i always get the reply i was looking for!
I talk to myself out loud sometimes just to hear a human voice that is not through electronics. i have on occasion made myself jump when i am home alone and my mind has wandered and i suddenly say something out loud!
lol that's awesome haha!
objtrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

objtrbit not lost I swear

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given

I would say if it works for you, go with it. I actually record myself for about an hour (the length of a therapy session) and I gotta say, it has really helped me learn to love myself. I've got recordings of myself just b.s.ing, some where I am in the middle of a nervous breakdown crying my eyes out. I found it to be really cool tat I'm in a place now where I can go back and listen and be ok with the fact that its "me".

If it starts giving you problems that threaten to interfere with you being happy and functioning-then that might be a concern. If you're curious as to why you're doing it...the more you talk about it the more you'll discover.

Take care,
-obj
objtrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Legendary

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

LOL, how many people are actually talking to another person when they are using their cell phones?
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: