Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Other Mental Health Discussion

advertisement
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Community Support Team

splitimage Doing intesive therapy - My brain hurts.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Correlation between Mental Illness and Handwriting

My meds make my hands shake & I have really tiny handwriting to begin with, all in all it's a disaster - thank God I type almost everything.

Funny part was I work for a really tiny company and up until about 2 weeks ago, we were still handwriting all cheques for AP. And it was my job to write them. Bad scenario. Now we've got a process that's still manual, but at least I get to type them.

--splitimage

I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun. From my favorite hymn.

Please visit my recovery blog: http://www.backfromthesidelines.com
splitimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #12

DreamofStars has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

My handwriting is horrible too. If I couldn't type I would be in trouble. Mine also goes from cursive to print and back and forth. I have also noticed that the worse my mental state the worse my writing is.
DreamofStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
823 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Read away!

http://myhandwriting.com/FAQ/

Kinematic analysis of handwriting movements in
patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...v070p00605.pdf

Can Handwriting Help Diagnose Mental Illness?

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...ss-177216.html

Any number of things can change a person's handwriting style, some only temporary: what disorders you may have (such as bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorder, OCD, ADD) which change how you feel and respond, whether you've had enough sleep, whether you're low or high on sugar from soda i.e., whether you're feeling blue and moody, etc.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Check out my blog's latest entry July 2014

Skepticism

(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Poohbah

Shangrala has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaFrapPlz View Post
w

Yeah, really. I used to be one of those kids in the 3rd grade who had really neat hand writing. Regular and cursive. Teachers loved my papers. But that was in the 80s.

Since I don't write anything anymore.. my handwriting is crap. I think my wrist is now deformed or something from using a mouse..because I can't even comfortably hold a pen and it's like I strain while trying to write. Takes way too much concentration on just holding the pen to make it neat. Maybe there's a muscle or something in your hand to hold it and mine is gone. LOL But who cares when I can type 90+ words a minute.
I tend to agree on this. It makes sense.
I'm an artist, and normally anything that comes from hand must be above average, IMO...(I'm my own worst critic...), thus my penmanship used to be a work of art in itself. Since I began using the computer and typing/printing my letters, I have noticed a great decline in my control of the use of the pen. I fatigue much sooner. If I attempt to write anything longer than a paragraph, I notice I start out neat (nowhere as neat as it used to be), and gradually worsen to a scribble..then give up as it ends up looking like child's scratch.
I think we lose the use of the motor skills we developed when we first began writing...."Don't use it, lose it"...

I also think it's quite possible that the variation of style of penmanship that's used within a letter could be due to boredom or the because of the struggle of writing in itself..so we try a different style as an attempt to try to remain focused/interested in what is being written?

Shangrala

IU!
Shangrala is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Grand Poohbah

perpetuallysad has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I get what you are saying Queen. My handwriting style varies widely like you described. All in one sitting I can write several different ways. I think part of it is when I am concentrating really hard I write faster? I don't know. Its strange because I don't recognize my own handwriting very easily because its always sort of different each time I write.
"School is shortened, discipline relaxed, philosophies, histories, languages dropped, English and spelling gradually gradually neglected, finally almost completely ignored. Life is immediate, the job counts, pleasure lies all about after work. Why learn anything save pressing buttons, pulling switches, fitting nuts and bolts?" Bradbury, Ray Fahrenheit 451 p 55-56
perpetuallysad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Grand Member

*freak* has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10 hugs
given

My handwriting is pretty neat and I like putting some effort into making it nice.

I have a very light touch when I write though. In school I kept being told I should press the pen much harder on the paper, but I can't. I also have a very tiny handwriting naturally, but if I have to make what I'm writing legible to others I can make it bigger with little or no effort.

A friend of mine once told me my handwriting says "I don't want to bother you", which made me smile, but I guess it makes sense since I have social phobia...

Life could be beautiful for anybody it's for
but I'd swear this darn poo* is rotten to the core - * edited after 3yrs of use cuz I've been informed it's become inappropriate now.. i hope i can say poo

I will rather learn to enjoy misery than partake a life of hypocrisy
*freak* is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
just me wantng to be free

eskielover Excell,Destiny Dreamer, Celia,Chinook, Mister forever in my heart

My Mood:

8 yr Member
2,350 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have the neatest handwriting & printing. It is so consistent that even when I go over it again, the letters are exactly the same as the first time. From the beginning of the page to the end, it looks all the same. My hand writing is very similar to my printing also.......& on top of it all, I am left handed. Everyone that I know that's left handed writes with their hand over their writing, but I couldn't write like that as it was very uncomfortable. My writing hasn't changed much in all my 50 some years of writing.....but especially hasn't changed since I was in college 40 years ago.

A few times when I am in a hurry & want to get something written out quickly, it's not as neat, but it's still in basically the same form. My printing & writing is basically straight up & down without any slant. Very similar to the Comic Sans style in my signature. From the time I started to write in school & even when I was printing, they always complimented me on what wonderful writing/printing I had. I also was able to type (back with the old manual typewriters) at 65 words/minute, so I didn't really have to bother writing.

I always thought how easy my handwriting would be to forge...lol, but maybe not.....wonder if anyone would actually forge such neat writing...lol.

In loving memory of Mister my first & very special horse
WyndSong Farm
eskielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAccountant View Post

I was just wondering, because I've been trying to journal everyday lately, and apparently I have like 10+ hand writing styles.

For example, yesterday started out as print, to cursive, to print, to all caps, to big block letters that I colored in, back to print, then doctor scribble at the end that I can't quite make out.
I don't know if there is a correlation with my mental illness but I also have different writing styles. I have had banks refuse my checks because my signature does not match the signature on file. Also when I was working as a critical care RN I had to speak with an attorney who was representing my hospital in litigation. The attorney was reading my notes and asked me if I wrote those. Yes, I said. Who wrote this, he asked. I did, I said. But your handwriting is totally different from the earlier note, he said in confusion. Yes, I explained, the morning started with a stable patient and I had time to write my notes but the patient became unstable and I was very busy so my handwriting changed because I was rushed. He thought this peculiar.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Bloviator-in-Chief

Ygrec23 says: "Verlaine in Paris. Who knows Verlaine?"

My Mood:

3 yr Member
72 hugs
given

When I was fifteen or so, a long while back, my family and I were having dinner at a local restaurant when a person (apparently authorized by the restaurant) approached us and said she was a handwriting analyst. She inquired if we'd like to have our writing analyzed and we said yes. So we all wrote something out for her and gave her the papers. She went off for a while and studied the samples and then came back, giving each of us an interpretation. When she turned to me she looked very confused and distressed and kept looking at the paper and looking at me, over and over. Finally, she said that from my handwriting she would have to think that I'd been raised in a German concentration camp! Little did she know about my family!
Ygrec23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Anonymous29368
Anonymous29368 has no updates. Edit

my writing is like a hybrid of print and cursive since I do use cursive but have forgotten some of the letters... my friend also pointed out that when I write my letters tend to melt together and my d's look like cl's, my handwriting is larger then it used to be but still nice looking. I've had a lot of people compliment it...