Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Insurance and Finances

advertisement
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #1

girlwithbrownhair needs another job..

My Mood:

2 yr Member
85 hugs
given
Confused I really can't afford my deductable.

If I have to see a doctor, I'm expected to pay in full until I have paid $1500. I already am living on far less than $250 a month. I'm supposed to live on $100 a month, for me and my cat....food, housing incidentals, transportation, and emergency funds?

I feel trapped by this Obama crappola..I sometiems wish I lived in public housing so I could try for disability. I'm being strangled into insanity working so harf and getting NO where...have cried the last 3 days, and I haven't done that in years.
girlwithbrownhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I really can't afford my deductable.

I am not sure you understand deductibles and how they work. I would call your insurance company/"agent" and discuss your coverage with them.

Having insurance means the cost of seeing a doctor is much less (the insurance is able to "bargain" them down) right away; for example, my husband would be billed for $90 a visit but in the end only has to pay $45. My insurance is different (he has Medicare), it's independent/non-work-related or anything else, so, even though we are seeing the same doctor, the doctor tries to get $150 for my visit but we only pay around $100. Too, it depends on what you see the doctor for, how much "work" he needs to do.

You do not have to pay right away; you find a doctor who takes your insurance and the doctor's office will then bill the insurance company (and send you all the bills but you do not pay them, they are just for your records) and the insurance company will pay some (or, in our case, none but the lower charges will be noted) and then the doctor's office will bill you again with the information on what the insurance company paid and how much you then owe (we never meet our deductibles, mine is $2600); just having insurance will make that amount lower, the insurance companies get a lower rate than an individual without insurance would get.

If you have a high deductible, you have lower monthly/quarterly payments for your insurance; if you have higher monthly/quarterly payments for your insurance, you have a lower deductible. Don't just look at the deductible though; look at the difference in highest/lowest monthly bills and multiply that out and then subtract out how much you have to actually pay to see the doctor.

If you pay the doctor (my situation) $100 a visit, and visit 4x a year; that's $400 but if the difference in my monthly payments between my high deductible and low deductible plans is only $50, that would mean I was paying an extra $600 a year and I'd still have to meet a deductible, probably higher than $400 (I think they start at $500 for my plans) so I would just be paying extra for "nothing".

All the billing back and forth between your insurance and your doctor's office will take about a month and then you'll probably have a month to pay your bill, etc. so you could save up for a few months more and possibly your doctor will take a lesser amount or time payments. I would talk to my insurance company and my doctor's office, find out what will happen in your particular situation.

There are different kinds of insurances too; maybe get an HMO kind and then there will be no deductible because you will be seeing their doctors at their clinic, etc. I did that when I was young and did not have a very good paying job.

Last edited by Perna; 06-28-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

My Mood:

2 yr Member
85 hugs
given

Its Blue Cross Blue Shield. My take home after paying rent and insurance is les than 250 dollars. So as you can see, a 100 dollar dr visit isn't a "bargain" at all.

Now, if I was only getting paid $3 more an hour...what I just found out a guy in my job got paid (before being fired for not being any good)...and probably what the other guy in my department IS being paid (after I trained him)...then I could afford it. I'm not on the edge; I'm going over...making plans. And can't afford to see the shrink.
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

AnnaBegins wishes she had the courage to do the right thing - no matter what that is...

My Mood:

393 hugs
given

My employer is changing our benefits to something very much like what you seem to be going through. I have to pay 100% of all medical costs out of pocket until I hit $2,000. Then, I have to pay 20% of all medical costs until I hit my annual deductible of $5,000. Only after that will my employer pay for any remaining medical costs I incur over the course of a year. I've been having panic attacks over it because $2,000 doesn't seem like a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but it's money I don't have all at once. I know I probably pay that much and more over the course of a year but it's in $15 increments (co-pays) and I can usually scrape that together every week.

I want to get the courage to talk to my doctor about trying to go sliding scale but a: I don't know if I'm allowed to do that and still go through my crummy insurance and b: I'm scared he'll say no and I'll lose my only source of support.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

My Mood:

2 yr Member
85 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBegins View Post
My employer is changing our benefits to something very much like what you seem to be going through. I have to pay 100% of all medical costs out of pocket until I hit $2,000. Then, I have to pay 20% of all medical costs until I hit my annual deductible of $5,000. Only after that will my employer pay for any remaining medical costs I incur over the course of a year. I've been having panic attacks over it because $2,000 doesn't seem like a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but it's money I don't have all at once. I know I probably pay that much and more over the course of a year but it's in $15 increments (co-pays) and I can usually scrape that together every week.

I want to get the courage to talk to my doctor about trying to go sliding scale but a: I don't know if I'm allowed to do that and still go through my crummy insurance and b: I'm scared he'll say no and I'll lose my only source of support.
That's awful!! I hope you make enough to afford that. This Obamacare is going to keep people from being able to see their doctors.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

AnnaBegins wishes she had the courage to do the right thing - no matter what that is...

My Mood:

393 hugs
given

I don't - and when I finally screwed up the courage today to tell my therapist about the changes, his response was that we have a window from now until the end of the year to work on my issues. Guess sliding scale isn't an option...
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Grand Magnate

CastlesInTheAir i cry so often I am starting to find tears beautiful

2 yr Member
271 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithbrownhair View Post
If I have to see a doctor, I'm expected to pay in full until I have paid $1500. I already am living on far less than $250 a month. I'm supposed to live on $100 a month, for me and my cat....food, housing incidentals, transportation, and emergency funds?

I feel trapped by this Obama crappola..I sometiems wish I lived in public housing so I could try for disability. I'm being strangled into insanity working so harf and getting NO where...have cried the last 3 days, and I haven't done that in years.
Does your employer have different levels of plans? You might want to check for the next enrollment period. My employer has three different levels through Cigna. I'm pretty sure blue cross has the same, I have a mid range plan with no deductibles.

it matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote