Poohbah

PurpleFlyingMonkeys is ready to fly

My Mood:

3 yr Member
158 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Poll Disability advice?

So back in August after I had my first confirmed seizure my anxiety got worse than it'd ever been. But still I was able to uncomfortably work. But when May came around and I had another seizure my anxiety got even worse, which I did not think was possible. It was horrible. I'd wake up every hour shaking so bad it would shake the bed. I was constantly crying and couldn't eat, I would throw up everything I tried to eat. Everything was horrible. I went to the ER twice in a week from anxiety alone. Then I got into therapy.

In May I went from 50 hours of work to 16-24 hours a week. By last month I was down to 16 hours and even that was horrible. I couldn't be at work, my anxiety would get so bad I would call my fiance to come sit with me while I worked. It got bad.

So two weeks ago I was at work and they had cancelled my insurance right in the middle of my testing for epilepsy. My anxiety was horrible, my stress was through the roof and I couldn't handle being there. I had to leave work early and got fired for it. But the thought of going back is bad. I would always have anxiety at work and constantly got these "spells" that the neurologist thought were simple partial seizures. I've now been diagnosed with epilepsy and they just started me on treatment.

I want to work, I just can't. The idea of going out and looking for a job scares me, I get anxiety, and the thought of this continuing scares me. I'm afraid to even leave my apartment a lot of the time.

I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder as well as PTSD and epilepsy. I have other diagnosis' but those three are what are really effecting me right now. So as much as I hate to, I applied for disability today (online).

My fiance talked me into it. He kept reminding me of how hard it was for me to work even part time, how much worse I got having to be around people, and that for now I need to consider it until the seizures are under control at least and I can get the anxiety under control. My anxiety is so bad I'm terrified of even taking my epilepsy medication and it causes panic attacks to just look at the bottle.

So I only filed for Generalized anxiety disorder and epilepsy for the disability. It looks like I fit the criteria but I know it can take a long time to get approved and often you're almost guaranteed to be denied the first time around. So I'm here hoping for some advice on what else I should do to try and make it go through easier, anything they don't tell you that you need, but that you do actually need. Anything that will help my case out? I hate the idea of taking money from those who need it, those who physically can not work, which is why I haven't filed yet. But it's just gotten to be entirely too much for me right now with everything going on. I've had a constant anxiety attack for nearly 2 years now and I just can't work anymore.

So if anyone has any words of wisdom or knowledge of the system or anything, could you please help out? It'd be nice if I could just get the ball rolling and not have to jump through a million hoops. Thanks a bunch
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

liveforfish has no updates.

2 yr Member

File and check off everything you suffer with including the PTSD.

Most people get denied, but appeal. Keep records from all your doctors, therapists, etc. Keep a list of all the meds you've taken, your reaction to them, etc.

Keep a journal, document with when the symptoms started, events that made it worse, things at work that set it off. Write down when your hours changed from 40 with dates.
liveforfish is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
349 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Disability advice?

Since you have been diagnosed with epilepsy, that should make things easier on the disability front but you have to be taking your medicine and have at least a 3-month compliance period, to make it easiest:

Does Epilepsy Qualify for Disability Benefits? | Disability Secrets
Hugs from:
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
bit61898 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

You may need to find an attorney to appeal your case if you are turned down. You can probably look in the phone book for attorneys. They do not charge anything upfront, but get 25% of your back pay when you are approved for disability. If you are not approved, the attorney receives nothing. It can be a long process. I am currently waiting for a hearing on my appeal. I filed in August 2011 and the hearing is scheduled for April 22. Good Luck to you.

bit61898
bit61898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Grand Poohbah

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

One of the main things is, stick to the disability process...don't give up on it, decide to just maybe find part time work instead and put it off(then it gets thrown out and you'd have to apply again and wait even longer) or any of that. And appeal it if you get denied also its not a bad idea to call the disability office or go there and check up between hearing from them just to make sure everythings still going smoothly.
Hellion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
Magnate

yellowted has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
264 hugs
given

when completeing forms think of and record you at your worst, not you at your best, if you struggle to do something put down you need help to do it, if you say you struggle they read it as you can still do it so do not count it as a problem!

be prepared to be refused and to appeal, i am not sure about America, but in the uk over half of those who appeal win!

make sure you put in everything, and fill in all the relevant boxes, the less chance of the decision being delayed.

do not expect an answer too quickly, they will have to write to your doctors and wait for their replies before deciding.

most of all keep fighting. good luck x
yellowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) Today is a good day to forgive all for the past errors

My Mood:

10 yr Member
634 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think most of first time requests are denied here in USA... unless you begin with a lawyer. Most do get a lawyer to complete the process, being disabled it's too difficult. The good news is that once you are approved, your benefits are retroactive to when you first applied!~

Keep all notes and records, be as organized as you can be, have a page of who you talk to when and about what (date, time, people, numbers or emails and topic, agreements)... it takes the memory part off your shoulders and may be invaluable later.

Breathe. Therapy can help you with the anxiety, and thus also lower your episodes, imo.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Check out my blog in which, from time to time, I write:
http://drjean.psychcentral.net/

Caleb, my beloved service dog
10/19/06 - 2/12/14
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Grand Magnate
avlady avlady

My Mood:

1,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am on Depocote for my seizures started in 2007, and my seizures aren't as bad and I only get petit mal now. When i was first put on disability, which was in 1986, I had to have 5 hospitalizations first. Then they got me on my way. I think that standard doesn't exist anymore. Your anxiety levels could do with the type of work you did or do? I feel for you and have been through it all, and try to get a doc and T if you don't have one now.
avlady is online now   Reply With Quote