Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Insurance and Finances

advertisement
Closed Thread
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Side of the Angels Sicker than I thought I was. I thought I was all better.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
68 hugs
given
Question Has anyone gotten disability due to a mental illness?

I have been wondering if I can get disability due to my mental afflictions. And was looking for anyone who has done it. Any help? I have PTSD and BiPolar disorder.

-SH
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Has anyone gotten disability due to a mental illness?

Yes, i am on disability for major depressive disorder. You can do it on your own by visiting the social security website, and fill out applications online- it is much faster this way. also if you have questions you can call social security. some say its hard to get approved the first time you apply , but i did. you have to have proof of being in treatment for the disability and proof that you cannot work a full time job, by telling them what exactly you cannot do during the day, you will also have to get another person, relative or friend who knows you well, to fill out what they believe your symptoms are and what you do during the day... if you have been hospitalized, it helps. to get medical records, all you do is sign a release form and they get the records for you. Try all this WITHOUT an attorney, it is doable without one, unless you have applied, got denied and did an appeal. after that you should look into an attorney.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Anonymous32723
Anonymous32723 has no updates. Edit

Yes, I am on disability for Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. I'm not sure how it works outside of Canada, but I imagine it's similar to what I had to do. I filled out the necessary forms, and also had to get my psychiatrist to do his part too. I needed proof that I wasn't mentally capable of working a job, and my psychiatrist helped to prove it. There was also a part where I had to write from my perspective - the symptoms that affected me most and why I felt I needed to be on disability. I was accepted the first time I applied, but there are those who are initially denied. If this happens, you are allowed to appeal your case.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
toolate4help has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolesque View Post
I have been wondering if I can get disability due to my mental afflictions. And was looking for anyone who has done it. Any help? I have PTSD and BiPolar disorder.
My 18 yr old daughter is receiving SSI & gets medicaide for the same thing you have. I applied for her & she was approved & got her benefits within 4 months.
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Poohbah

SunAngel Life Sux!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
59 hugs
given
Heart Re: Has anyone gotten disability due to a mental illness?

I have been on Disability for years due to BP Disorder.

If you are thinking about this, most people get denied on their 1st try, so I would get a Disability Attorney to help you out when you 1st go for it.
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

moonbeam2 fox glove

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Confused Re: Has anyone gotten disability due to a mental illness?

question about the disability,do you have to have put atleast 5yrs of work into it before you can collect any money for it ? i herd that but im not shure it was for disabilty or ssi ,im going to try to get disabilty & im not shure i have a solid 5 yrs before i left work can someone answer this question please ?
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Magnate

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam2 View Post
question about the disability,do you have to have put atleast 5yrs of work into it before you can collect any money for it ? i herd that but im not shure it was for disabilty or ssi ,im going to try to get disabilty & im not shure i have a solid 5 yrs before i left work can someone answer this question please ?
You have to have worked a certain amount of time (to have paid enough toward social security) to get SSDI. SSI is the option for those who haven't worked enough, and you can work part time with SSI

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Grand Magnate

Rose76 Backsliding again.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,472 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm glad to see these posts by Krisakira, which are by someone who knows exactly what she is talking about.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. I'm sorry to say this, but a major source can be the very people that are working as psych professionals, or with advocacy agencies. I say this based on my experience of being encouraged to apply for SSDI by therapists who seemed to greatly underestimate the difficulty of the process. Fortunately for me, I tend to be skeptical and, repeatedly, I am finding that what sounds a little too easy to be how it is turns out to be how it isn't. I was just over applying for Section 8. What I got told there conflicted with what an advocacy agent had told me. The agent had helped me prepare paperwork, which the housing authority said was not in order and sent me away to get more stuff. Peers who have been through the process are the most reliable source for getting some initial info. At least, that's what I am finding out.
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Grand Magnate

Calista+12 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
899 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes I am on SSDI..finally. You have to have worked 60 quarters during the last 10 years I think. But that's the easy part. If, and you will be, you are denied, reapply immediatly. (Unless you do not have enough work history.) Once you have SSDI you are allowed to earn $700 a month and keep your social security. Good luck and don't give up. It can be very confusing. Do you have an advocate or social worker to help?

It was nothing, but nothing isn't an absence, it's a presence.
B. Kingsolver
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
Magnate

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
I'm glad to see these posts by Krisakira, which are by someone who knows exactly what she is talking about.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. I'm sorry to say this, but a major source can be the very people that are working as psych professionals, or with advocacy agencies. I say this based on my experience of being encouraged to apply for SSDI by therapists who seemed to greatly underestimate the difficulty of the process. Fortunately for me, I tend to be skeptical and, repeatedly, I am finding that what sounds a little too easy to be how it is turns out to be how it isn't. I was just over applying for Section 8. What I got told there conflicted with what an advocacy agent had told me. The agent had helped me prepare paperwork, which the housing authority said was not in order and sent me away to get more stuff. Peers who have been through the process are the most reliable source for getting some initial info. At least, that's what I am finding out.
Thank you. I don't know about SSDI because I have never gone through the application process any further than finding out I had not worked enough. I have found the application process for SSI easier than I thought it would be. I got it the first time and only after 3 months. I hear horror stories about this and don't really understand it. Sure it takes a long time to get all the paperwork filled out, then get sent more paperwork to fill out. It takes weeks. But you will never be "left in the dark" so to speak, because they send you lots of paperwork and information and if you read it all, you will not get confused.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread