Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Health Support

advertisement
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
ONEWISH has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default pain when upset

i have depression and anxiety everyday. when i get real upset i get pain in my right arm and hand. my hand hurts when i bend it and my fingers seem to move involenterely. does anyone know why this happens?
ONEWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Legendary

January has no updates.

8 yr Member
406 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: pain when upset

It sounds like you have a nerve inpingement. When you are anxious, you tend to "tighten up" your muscles in the fight or flight syndrome. It's probably pinching a nerve. You need to tell your Dr. about this.

I hope you feel better very soon.

January
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Wise Elder

Rhapsody LoVe Hurts

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I go with what Jan says here (for I do this with my TMJ when I am upset) - and boy does my jaw ever hurt after wards....... and if that is not it then maybe looking Psychosomatic Pain happening for I went thru that before as well - and while there was no medical condition to account for it my doctor assured me that the pain was real.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Poohbah
InACorner has no updates.

5 yr Member

i am sure that Rhapsody and January know what they are talking about but i think that what it really sounds like is

STRESS

stress has been known to do some crazy wierd things to your body...believe me.....one time i was so stressed out that i physically was in so much pain i could not get out of bed...at the time i thought it was something of an illness or whatnot ...but i realized my body was under so much stress that it refused to let me go to work....when your body does this ...it can be a pain...literally....however its a good thing...this allows you to be woken up and realize you need to relax and calm down...to stop pushing your body to its limits...whatever is stressing you out....what you need to do is take a step back...find out what the stressor is ...if you can fix it easily than do so...if it is something unpreventable take deep breathes ..the kinds that in through your nose and expands deep in your belly and then hold it a few seconds (count 1,2,3) then let it out...also take your arm and put it through some warm running water....and rub it alittle ...and focus on the running water....believe me...it will be ok....its probably just stress...notice its when you get real upset...so im sure its probably just stress
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
421 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've had it both ways :-) I had a lot of anxiety/stress and when I'd start a new job or work at one I didn't like I got really bad stiff necks that nothing would help. My muscles were too taut and "pulling" so it was painful to move. Once I started thinking about it and thought of the Bible verse "Oh you stiffed-necked generation. . ." :-) and realized I was being "stubborn" about the stress/anxiety and putting up with it, etc. I said I was "sorry" (to God/Universe/Whomever It May Concern :-) and the next day, it was "instantly" better!

However, now I don't have stress or anxiety and I've had problems with my nerves in my neck for a month and only now am getting some relief with physical therapy help (I have an electrical stimulator to get the jangled nerves to chill out :-)

I would go to your doctor and see what he had to say in any event. Ask him what he suggests. I had friends suggest I try accupuncture and it's a funny thing; the physical therapists discovered a couple of my pressure points are where I need to put the electrical stimulator. Many roads lead to Rome :-) so do a bit of detective work with your doctor and see if you can find something that will help you?
Unread 08-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Wise Elder

Rhapsody LoVe Hurts

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Yep - STRESS should be added to the list of things to have checked out....... I personally know that a lot stress will make my RA flare up - and real bad.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Poohbah

wickedwings has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

((((((((((onewish)))))))))) yes, stress does strange things to our bodies. when i hit bottom last april, at first, i felt like i was coming down with something viral. in 2 days, my depression was so severe that i was in pure misery and suffering. i had to go to the e.r. and be admitted into the hospital to get stabilized. i was so sore for a month and a half. my back, neck and shoulders were unbelievably sore as heck. even though it all went away, those places are easily reaggravated when i do something physical. only rest seems to relieve them. if i do more physical stuff, they sure get worse. anyway, my current medication isn't working anymore.
wickedwings is offline   Reply With Quote