Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Health Support

advertisement
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Grand Member

Amanda_1981 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default I keep throwing up all the time

for the past year or so, I've been having really bad gag reflexes and everything has been making me gag and throw up a lot. It's gotten so much worse though to the point where I'm throwing up once or twice a day from gagging. (and not just a little, i'm throwing up a lot... usually my entire lunch or dinner). Sometimes the gagging happens right after I eat, or when I'm brushing my teeth or when I swallow my meds or take my nasal spray or if I smell anything that is unpleasant. I can no longer pick up the dog doo because I will throw up every time and there's been times when I'm out in public and I throw up. It's so embarrassing and I don't always make it to the toilet. Right now I just threw up all the instant breakfast I drank. And yesterday I threw up 3 times after brushing my teeth. I've mentioned this to my doctor before but she didn't say much about it. Should I be concerned or maybe I just have really bad gag reflex? Does anyone else experience this?
Amanda_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Trying

lynn P. Taking Babysteps

5 yr Member
2,706 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I keep throwing up all the time

No I haven't had this problem and I would certainly be concerned. I'm assuming you don't have an eating disorder. You mention nasal spray - do you had bad sinus drainage - because this draining down your throat can make you feel nauseated. If you have bad sinus drainage - NaselMed makes a great sinus rinsing product. Do you feel nauseated or is it a problem with your throat? Do meds like Gravol help. Fresh ginger root tea is good for nausea. Please go back to your doctor to see if there's anything wrong with your stomach. Throwing up too often can wear away the enamel on your teeth. I hope you feel better.

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

lynn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Pet Lady of Psychcentral

NuckingFutz Slightly Manic and Loving it.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
70 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Go back to doc. Tell doc how much and when this is happening. It sounds like she didn't realise the seriousness of the issue.
NuckingFutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Poohbah

Rmdctc has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
19 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would say if a dr didnt take this seriously then its time to get a new one.
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
Legendary

ECHOES is knitting.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
963 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I wonder if practicing relaxation techniques regularly might calm your gag reflex?
ECHOES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Inny2009 has no updates.

3 yr Member

gag reflexes wouldnt cause this..yes gagging on a toothbrush or a bad taste in the mouth but not this severe. It could be anything from a blockage in the intestines or an unhealthy increase in stomach acids. It could be something in the esphogus (spelling?) Either way what you need to do is get a journal or even a couple pieces of paper and write down your activities and when and what times you threw up how much you threw up and what you threw up. At the same time get an appointment with a gastroenterolgist. While waiting for the appointment get the journal ready, take your temperature and blood pressure if you can once before you throw up and feel decent and then after you throw up. See if there are any differences. Then also take note to the medicines you are on. See if there are any side effects such as naseua or vomiting. This could also be it. If that is the case then its a simple thing as just changing meds or dosages. Refrain from anything acidic like orange juice or sodas. Avoid salads corn anything hard to digest. Eat soups that have low sodium (sodium can help retain water therefore increasing blood pressure adding to your symptoms) Keep drinking those nutrionial based milk shakes (milk isnt all that good but you need nutrion) Do a clear liquid diet for alittle bit other than the milk shakes. Soups, jello, even a couple saltine crackers, decaffienated tea (to much caffiene can also make you feel sick) See if your feeling better but still go to the gastro doctor and tell him this. Good luck with this and please let us know how it goes.
Inny2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Grand Member

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see my doctor on Friday so I will bring up this issue with her again and tell her how severe it's been. The nasal spray I use is for allergies and I don't feel nauseated when I throw up, I just start gagging really bad and then throw up from either coughing fits or gagging. It usually happens in the morning or right after I eat something. I also can't wear anything tight around my neck like turtle necks or tight necklaces or I will gag so much that I will throw up. My dad also has this problem but not as severe as me.. me and him both have sleep apnea.. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I do drink a lot of pop.. maybe that is causing the problem? I am trying to cut down.. it's something I am working on. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's from medications I take. I guess I will find out soon enough. I will keep you guys updated on it. Thanks again for the replies
Unread 10-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Trying

lynn P. Taking Babysteps

5 yr Member
2,706 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I was thinking if you use nose spray - you must have sinus drainage. This drainage can make you gag. Not being able to wear anything around your neck makes me suspect there's something wrong with your thyroid gland. It's located in your neck and if it's enlarged it could cause gagging problems because it's right there beside your windpipe. Have her test your thyroid levels with a bloodtest and let her feel it in your neck. Don't give up finding an answer.

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

lynn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Grand Member

My Mood:

3 yr Member

I just wanted to bump up this thread again to mention that ever since I got off the med, Topamax, I no longer have issues with throwing up all the time. I used to always be sooo stuffed up all the time for years and now that issue is completely better too. I put two and two together and realized the throwing up each day and constantly being stuffed up started around the same time that I started topamax. I've been off it for a few weeks now and haven't thrown up once! AND I can now actually breathe through my nose! I think I'll always be the type of person who gags easily though, as I still sometimes gag easily, especially when I take my inhalers or if I have to clean up something gross that my doggie surprised me with lol but overall am SO much better now!
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Poohbah

Rmdctc has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
19 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am so glad to hear that you are doing much better. I am glad that you were able to figure out which med it was and that you were able to stop it and feel better.