Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Social Chat

advertisement
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Dis -co nn- ect -ed
Community Liaison

Zwangsstörung is sick of OCD and anxiety!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
150 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mobile Broadband

It's really expensive, right? But that isn't the point of this thread.

I'm curious as to people's experiences with mobile broadband via a USB dongle, or a WiFi device, and if they think the following plan that I have, is any good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-T-M...=Huawei+dongle

Plus,

Standard SIM

...Three's SIM-only mobile broadband deal. Monthly payments, instead of a long contract. The one I'm looking to is 10GB per month, for £15 a month.

I'm currently on Virgin Media fiber optic 30Mbps broadband, and while it is fast, I have had problems with VM, of which I am a little fed-up. They've upped the bill by £2.50 a month in one go, while previously upping it by £1 or more. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I don't appreciate a price being adjusted from right under my nose. VM increased the speed of many UK people's Internet, and we were told that this was a free bonus, yet I was soon subjected to a price rise, as I am now once again. When you buy a car from a car dealership, they don't come to your house years later, only to inform you that the price has gone up and you must then pay. I'm tired of being on contracts like this. It's a shame that there's no reliable unlimited mobile broadband offers (certainly as far as I am aware) but 10GB will do it for a while, at least. My main concern is the likes of Steam, on which I have many games. Computers download a lot, these days, often without us realising - Anti-virus automatic updates, Windows Updates, miscellaneous program updates, Steam/Origin updates, and so I am sure the list continues. I'm looking forward to politely informing VM to firmly and hastily insert our contract deep within the crevasses of their collective back passage.

Any thoughts?

My struggles:

I have OCD, typically in the form of perfectionism, magical thinking, and intrusive thoughts.

I have "depression"; something that hasn't let up since I was a kid.

I have problems with anxiety - possibly "GAD" or "Acute Anxiety Disorder"; I can't remember which the doctors said it was. My anxiety also comes in the forms of "healthy anxiety" and "social anxiety".

I'm not alone, and neither are you.
Zwangsstörung is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator
Community Support Team

tigergirl is hanging out

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,595 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Mobile Broadband

not sure about your plan, I just wish they weren't so expensive! any plan I've looked at has just been to prohibitive financially to go ahead which is a shame

tigergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Dis -co nn- ect -ed
Community Liaison

Zwangsstörung is sick of OCD and anxiety!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
150 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yeah, they are crazy expensive. :\ I don't see why we should pay more, for less.

My struggles:

I have OCD, typically in the form of perfectionism, magical thinking, and intrusive thoughts.

I have "depression"; something that hasn't let up since I was a kid.

I have problems with anxiety - possibly "GAD" or "Acute Anxiety Disorder"; I can't remember which the doctors said it was. My anxiety also comes in the forms of "healthy anxiety" and "social anxiety".

I'm not alone, and neither are you.
Zwangsstörung is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Community Support Team

splitimage Doing intesive therapy - My brain hurts.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Agree - it's crazy expensive, but to answer your question, I currently use part time and for a while it was my only internet a mobile stick.

I'm in Canada, and use Rogers and have Roger's rocket stick, which is basically just their name for a USB device that allows me to get wireless internet anywhere. It comes with it's own monthly GB allowance. On top of that I pay for a shared GB plan, between the rocket stick and my mobile phone, that's an additional 6 GB. Between the 2 I've never gone over my data plan, but I don't play a lot of games, or down load movies.

I love it, as it lets me connect anywhere. When I was in the psych hospital, I took my computer and thanks to my rocket stick was able to get internet in my room, which was a major saving grace.

The only problem with them is they're a bit fragile, so you have to be super careful with them. Mine kept breaking so about 6 months ago, I broke down and got cable internet and a wireless router for my room. But now I use the rocket stick for backup when there's a problem with that service.

splitimage

I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun. From my favorite hymn.

Please visit my recovery blog: http://www.backfromthesidelines.com
splitimage is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: