Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Social Chat

advertisement
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
lostnbigcity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default do you think it is rude?

ok, I have been pondering over this for some time. a few questions to see what you all think....
Do you think it is rude to just walk into someone's house without knocking first? family or not family?
Do you think it is rude to get into the fridgerator at someone's elses house without asking? family or not family?
Do you think it is rude to enter a family members home without asking while they are away ? using their computer,phone, etc ?
This just bothers me and I'm curious what others think of these questions.....
Thank you ,
lost
lostnbigcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Anonymous29402
Anonymous29402 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: do you think it is rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnbigcity View Post
ok, I have been pondering over this for some time. a few questions to see what you all think....
Do you think it is rude to just walk into someone's house without knocking first? family or not family?
Do you think it is rude to get into the fridgerator at someone's elses house without asking? family or not family?
Do you think it is rude to enter a family members home without asking while they are away ? using their computer,phone, etc ?
This just bothers me and I'm curious what others think of these questions.....
Thank you ,
lost

We don't have someone go in the fridge however we have all the other ones including a post man who comes in (we leave the key in the lock) leaves mail on the side and has been known to give the dogs a treat lmao.

We live in a rural area which is way behind the times (thankfully) it is very very old fashioned with people not locking doors so maybe I am not the best person to ask.
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Wisest Elder Ever

Sabrina has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
1,657 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I consider all those things to be rude. I wouldn't do it to anyone else and due to my security, well, it won't happen to me!

Crying isn't a sign of weakness. It's a sign of having tried too hard to be strong for too long.
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Community Support Team

wanttoheal has no updates.

8 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It wouldn't bother me if my friends did that (although they would never do that), but any family outside my children- it would bother me a lot.
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Elder

cantstopcrying has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I'm with Tishie. But then again, I too live in the "sticks", I don't remember the last time I locked my door.
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Elder

AAAAA has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well I think that depends. In the town I grew up in, you knew there was a stranger at the door if you heard a knock. Everyone else just walked in the house. It is still that way to this day. The UPS and Fed ex guys will open the door and leave packages in the house.

As for the refrigerator, the same thing applies. If you want something help yourself. But again, this is the way I grew up. Small town, everyone knows everyone else. To be honest we were related to literally almost everyone through birth or marriage and the handful of people we weren't related to were such good friends of my parents they were still called Aunt this, Uncle that.

It's not unusual here to find one of my kid's friends sitting in the living room, drinking a soda, eating a snack and using the computer even when the child they're friends with is not at home.

I did have a neighbor take advantage of me and my open door policy some years ago. They were new to the area, came from the city. The area I'm from the stores close ridiculously early and frequently have severe blizzards in the winter. When we did our grocery shopping, you did it so that you could live out of your freezer for several weeks if you had to I even had bread and milk frozen.

Anyway these neighbors decided that it really didn't matter if they made it to the store or not, they'd just come get things from my fridge, cupboard, or pantry. It had already become expensive and annoying. I usually threw what we where having for dinner in the Nesco before work so when we came home we could sit right down to dinner. I overslept one morning so everything I'd planned on cooking for dinner was on the counter and the meat I'd taken out the night before was on the top shelf of the fridge. It was spaghetti so it wasn't that big of a deal cooking it after work, except I came home to discover that the pasta, sauce, meat, garlic bread and even the flipping salad ingredients had disappeared. They even took the dressing for the salad!
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Done

lynn P. sick of being hurt

5 yr Member
2,692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unless you live in an area like AAAAA's, otherwise I would considerate it rude. I think though it's up to you, to set proper boundaries.

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

lynn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Anonymous29402
Anonymous29402 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAA View Post
Anyway these neighbors decided that it really didn't matter if they made it to the store or not, they'd just come get things from my fridge, cupboard, or pantry. It had already become expensive and annoying. I usually threw what we where having for dinner in the Nesco before work so when we came home we could sit right down to dinner. I overslept one morning so everything I'd planned on cooking for dinner was on the counter and the meat I'd taken out the night before was on the top shelf of the fridge. It was spaghetti so it wasn't that big of a deal cooking it after work, except I came home to discover that the pasta, sauce, meat, garlic bread and even the flipping salad ingredients had disappeared. They even took the dressing for the salad!
That is funny
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Elder

Typo semper ad meliora

5 yr Member
48 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Like Tishie and AAAAA I live in a rural area, it's not uncommon for family and friends to just walk into my house, I hardly ever knock when going to family or friend's house I just walk right in and let them know I"m there. I think someone mentioned you know a stranger is at the door when you hear a knock.

As for the fridge, that depends on who's doing it, I don't mind for close family and friends but if it's someone I hardly know getting in my fridge I find it a bit unnerving...I would at least appreciate them to ask or be offered first...

It's really common around here for family and friend's to leave a set of keys in someone else's possieon when they are going to be out of town and have them check on the house and invite them to make themsevles feel like home.

I find it interesting the diffrent replies and how they correlate between a rural or suburban area
Typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Elder

AAAAA has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm a bit irritated now lol, because this just reminded me that they took the lettuce in the lettuce tupperware container and I never did get it back. That might have something to do with the fact that I flipped out on them and told them never to enter my property again, then I moved across town shortly after. But I LOVED that lettuce tupperware container!