Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Dissociative Disorders

advertisement
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Grand Magnate

Calista+12 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
886 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Question ECT for depression...what does it do...

Does it obliterate alters? Could it shatter us further? The depression is at a dangeerous level and hasn't improved in almost a year. T isn't sure. Who could advise me? Anyone??

It was nothing, but nothing isn't an absence, it's a presence.
B. Kingsolver
Calista+12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

amandalouise wife/mom/lesbian/survivor

5 yr Member
140 hugs
given
Default Re: ECT for depression...what does it do...

here at this hospital we dont do ECT with DID patients. we do it with patients with depression that do not have DID though. Some patients have come in with DID and say they have gone through ECT. for some it helped and with others it didnt. but in all cases they didnt lose their alters.

some forgot they had DID, forgot they had alters, forgot the trauma they went through that caused them to be DID but all - the host and alters - survived the ECT treatments.

Around here the mental health community believe that -

alters cant be killed (obliterated in your words) here the belief is that the alters are parts of the host, as long as the host survives the alters do so too. they can be merged into one whole human being again because thats what they were before separating from the host, but in order for an alter to die (in your words be obliterated) the host must also die.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
886 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Amandalouise
Is there a reason they don't do it for DID patients? My T wondered if my having previous ECT put any progress I made with the DID into a tailspin (before I was dx'd with DID I had ECT) I know they (alters aren't going to "die" in the literal sense but shatter is a feeling I have had before and don't want any more of. Since they can do ECT unipolar now, I wonder if the memory loss will be less?

B. Kingsolver
Unread 05-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
Grand Magnate

5 yr Member
140 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calista+12 View Post
Amandalouise
Is there a reason they don't do it for DID patients? My T wondered if my having previous ECT put any progress I made with the DID into a tailspin (before I was dx'd with DID I had ECT) I know they (alters aren't going to "die" in the literal sense but shatter is a feeling I have had before and don't want any more of. Since they can do ECT unipolar now, I wonder if the memory loss will be less?
we dont do it with our DID patients because one of the side effects of ECT is memory loss. its hard enough on DID patients to realize they have DID, start establishing co consciousness where they are able to begin feeling those blocked off emotions and repressed memories. to have them go through ECT forget they have DID and forget they have alters and have to start at the beginning all over again by going through the denial of the disorder, go through a second round of coming to terms with who their alters are and what those repressed memories are to us seems inhumane.

example you have gone through a horrific abuse. it got blocked out then when you are in your twenties you begin to have flashbacks and remember all the pain torture heartache, sadness, anger. then just as you have adjusted to the fact that you were abused someone comes along and says ECT .. you do it suddenly you dont remember you were abused you dont remember processing all the pain and emotions and one have to go through it all again remembering you were abused remembering the pain and all that. it was bad enough that it happened and it was bad enough to have to go through the healing process of remembering but to have to do it yet a third time because ECT wiped away all that healing you have already done.

granted this isnt every bodies experience with being a survivor and going through ECT but here we are not willing to even try putting our clients who are trauma survivors through having to reprocess what they have already healed from over and over again.

Again not everyone has this reaction and it might not happen this way for you but here its how we do things and why.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Grand Magnate

5 yr Member
140 hugs
given

Quote:
Amandalouise
Calista I know you want answers but the reality is that everyone reacts their own way to what ever treatment options are used.

I cant say whether the memory loss is going to be less or more for you based on general information, statistics and all.

what I can say is you had ECT before. you know what it was like before when you had it and waht your own individual reactions were to it. right there tells you what the outcome most likely will be for you.

depending on how much time and how things have advanced in the medical and mental world and based on how you and your body reacted before and how much you have changed since, your treatment providers may be able to give you a better understanding of whether or not you are going to experience the same type of reactions and out come this time that you had last time.

talk with your treatment providers. tell them you have some questions, fears/ anxieties concerning this and they can help you much more than we can here on Psych central.

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
886 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you

B. Kingsolver
Unread 05-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #7

Korin Taking a little break.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

From the information I have gathered over the years, Amandalouise is correct. Alters are not separate people in one body. Alters are what we experience when our personality has become fragmented due to some kind of trauma. For most people coping with DID it was most likely some kind of childhood trauma.

DID used to be called MPD. MPD was thought to be separate personalities in the same body.

It was changed to DID because DID explains it more clearly as a fragmented personality.

We are like a frozen lake where parts have been broken off but with the sunshine, as with acceptance and understanding in our case, the broken frozen parts can melt and flow back to the lake. We can experience this through agreement with all our parts to come together and get along. No part dies or is obliterated. With our help, parts can heal and can once again merge with the original personality.

You might think they have gone but you would be wrong. I have been in recovery for the last few years but if I become stressed or feel any kind of threat or become depressed I can still feel them there protecting and helping me. Recovery for me just means that I have accepted it all and I have created some pretty useful coping tools.

First comes the information. You may try to deny the truth about exactly what DID is, I know I did. I didn't want to let any of them go. And you don’t have to. Next comes the understanding and the acceptance. Then more information, more understanding and more acceptance. And then recovery, which can continue for the rest of your life. There is no cure. Recovery doesn't mean they are gone, it simply means that you are coping with it better and your life is becoming much more peaceful.
Korin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Grand Magnate

Hunny fine

My Mood:

5 yr Member
127 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Calista, is there more than one depressed part...just wondering...being vulnerable to these parts can take me where I don't want to go but going there without help...not such a good idea...but who can recognize and go there with us? Opening up with kind and gentle support.

I sometimes eat...pick...have bad thoughts in midst of my depressive part...oh then shame
, blah!

Denial comes...and what a mixup that can be...can be a circle of sorts...round and round but I deserve help, not a right...more of a letting go and accepting imperfection and why it had to come to be part of me/us, she saved us when they wouldn't and couldn't listen.

Higher power helps climb out, outstide safe people can help, being kind to me when I can't...it's messy...the other parts must though and stepping out to help someone else. It's all jumbled at times...one thing, one more thing, one more thing...little things.

Calista+12, you help me, and I like you.

(((((Calista+12)))))
Hunny is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
we13 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Does it obliterate alters? Could it shatter us further? The depression is at a dangeerous level and hasn't improved in almost a year. T isn't sure. Who could advise me? Anyone??
with all that we have gone through just to recognise that we share the same body, there is no way ECT would be on our radar. We suffer from unipolar as well. Have you had a full endo workup? If not, be proactive for all of you. It is not uncommon to have problems in this area considering the amount of stress DID's have endured. There are a number of physical concerns as well as emotional concerns. Depression is a sign of many physical illnesses as well.
we13 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
886 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you everyone.
I know that alters are not little people running around in the head, which is why I was concerned about shattering further. I'm never aiming at merging any of them, as that is seen as a threat by most of us. Being co conscious is good enough for all of us. I also realise they wouldn't be "killed" as they are parts of me. I was concerned (as was T, ) that our personality system could further shatter. Which is worse though....this deadly depression with a possible bad outcome or a more fragmented personality with a bad outcome? I'm not sure how many are suffering this deadly depression but best guess would be 9, mostly adults.
I was dx'd bipolar 2 along with DID a few years ago and I questioned whether there could be comorbidity. I guess the answer was "yes".
I underwent ECT many years ago when I was misdx'd with schitzophrenia (which I didn't think ECT could treat) I was young and believed anything this doctor told me.
Now that I am older and less trusting of professionals, I question most everything. That's another issue...reality.... It has little meaning for me/us because of how we were raised.
Thank you for all your opinions. It helps a lot.

B. Kingsolver
"Thanks for this!" says: