Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Melmo has no updates.

11 hugs
given
Default Overeating when depressed, depressed after overeating...vicious cycle

Does anyone ever feel so depressed that it feels like there is nothing to look forward to each day, and you just can't wait til the end of the day so you can just sleep? That's how I feel. I was doing so well for the fort week of January with eating well, I wasn't even craving sugar. Then I made cookies, and I've been off track since. After I overeat, I get depressed, and when I'm depressed, all I can think of is sugary foods because it lifts my mood at least temporarily which gives me something to look foreword to but then leaves me more depressed and feeling hopeless.
I'm in a vicious cycle I just can't break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Anxiety and depression, taking 7mg abilify

"Life is way too short to spend another day at war with yourself."
Melmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Grand Member

Pierro is so good at pretending

My Mood:

441 hugs
given
Default Re: Overeating when depressed, depressed after overeating...vicious cycle

JustWantToBeNormal, I know that cycle is very hard to break, when you start eating sugar you cant stop, thats me. You just want more and more. I was like that over the Christmas and to be honest have not been great since. I have worked so hard to loose weight, and boom! its back on again. The weather and time of year is not helping either. Dont be too hard on yourself, afterall it doesnt help break the cycle. I do try to walk everyday, and even though it is hard I feel really good when I do. Distraction is the name of the game. Best wishes.
Hugs from:
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison

healingme4me 'He who overcomes himself is strong.' -Tao te Ching

My Mood:

5,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Overeating when depressed, depressed after overeating...vicious cycle

Sugary Carbs do this. There's a scientific explanation, I'm sure, but realize, it goes a bit beyond will power.

Have you ever tried seltzer water? When I had small chit chat, my last neuro appt, of all places to discuss this, right?? ( he's a brain scientist, right?)) I mentioned, it seemed like seltzer changed my taste buds, I've a sweet tooth. He stated, well that makes sense and broke down scientific reasons for it. (don't ask, word for word, because words were uncommon to me, hence no visual remembering), but involves the carbonation, chemical compounds of seltzer and taste receptors, tongue to brain.
So, when I get the taste for sugar, then find myself craving, too much, out comes seltzer, and for a few days, added back to my diet, and back to normal.

Weight troubles are depressing, and when our brains are depression prone, it's catch 22.

Just know, you aren't alone

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Magnate
newgal2 is hopeful that ECT will help her severe depression

1,472 hugs
given

I have definitely been doing some "emotional eating" with my current depression, and the scale shows it. I'm eating from a combination of depression and anxiety, actually.

And regarding not being able to wait to go to bed, there does come a point in the day - - usually around midafternoon - - when I look at the clock and literally count the hours until I can go to bed. That's some depression for you . . . ! Sorry you feel that way. It's no fun at all.

-----------------------------
Effexor
saphris
trazadone
Xanax
ECT treatment #6 coming up!
newgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

nbritton has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWantToBeNormal View Post
Does anyone ever feel so depressed that it feels like there is nothing to look forward to each day, and you just can't wait til the end of the day so you can just sleep?
That sounds more like boredom to me... do you have any hobbies, or have you lost interest in the hobbies as a result of the depression?

Stress eating is difficult, what I've found most helpful in controlling appetite is protein shakes and sugar free popsicles...
EAS Myoplex Nutrition Shake Chocolate Fudge - Walmart.com
Popsicle Sugar Free Orange, Cherry & Grape Ice Pops, 1.65 oz, 24ct: Frozen Foods : Walmart.com
Get some of those EAS Myoplex chocolate shakes and drink one every morning, and then whenever you feel the need to stress eat go grab some sugar free popsicles. It's crunchy like ice, I love crunchy foods when I'm stressed. Multivitamins should be taken at bedtime as they can induce hunger cravings, and lipid based supplements (i.g. Omega-3, Vitamin E, Vitamin D3) in the morning, as fat intake has a tendancy to curb hunger.
nbritton is offline   Reply With Quote