Forums at Psych Central

Forums at Psych Central (http://forums.psychcentral.com/)
-   Depression (http://forums.psychcentral.com/depression/)
-   -   Dogs for depression... (http://forums.psychcentral.com/depression/314783-dogs-depression.html)

Musique_butterflys 12-19-2013 11:10 PM

Dogs for depression...

I've heard that getting a dog can help with anxiety and depression. I've looked into Standard poodles but their at the least $1000. Does anyone know where i could find one that is cheaper or free. I don't have a lot of money to buy a pet. Thank you.

Samanthagreene 12-20-2013 08:09 AM

Re: Dogs for depression...

Well, at local pounds, you can get strays for pretty small amounts. I don't know if you're interested strays.

gayleggg 12-20-2013 08:50 AM

Check with Poodle rescue groups if you are interested in a Poodle. They still are expense but less than a breeder.

Anonymous100108 12-20-2013 08:56 AM

Doxies RULE!

toscana 12-20-2013 08:59 AM

I have a tiny little chihuhua and there are days when she is my lifeline to the real world. She always knows when I'm down and will crawl on my chest and give me a hug. Yes, a hug. I have taught her to lay her head down on my shoulder and that is a hug. And now she will do it on command. I don't know what I would do without her around. It is so calming to have her laying next to me when I'm sitting and playing a video game or spooning next to my back at night.

I agree with the others...check rescues and shelters. Heck, you might even be able to find one that would donate the dog to you knowing what he/she would be used for. Good luck!

FrayedEnds 12-20-2013 09:04 AM

hi Musique butterflys
My dogs help my depression and anxiety a lot every day. all 3 of my dogs are rescues and I think rescues make the best pets :) There are tons of poodle rescues that you can look into. they do have strict policies and procedures though...and finances are one of them. I'm not trying to be a downer at all, but they will usually ask you questions about money for vets, standard care and emergencies. I have a toy poodle and the grooming fees are part of my monthly bills. not trying to talk you out of your favorite breed, but poodle grooming is never ending and it's not something you can avoid.

doyoutrustme 12-20-2013 09:06 AM

Look up your local shelters, or petfinder.com. With the amount of dogs being euthanized every year, no one should be buying them.

MariposaLlora 12-20-2013 10:26 AM

I think pet rescue/shelter is the route to an 'inexpensive' dog. Perhaps think about the qualities that attract you towards a poodle and see if a mixed-breed or another pure breed can meet the requirements. Shelter staff are also trained in matching dog personality/type with the appropriate person too.

Sent from my N61 using Tapatalk

BadGirlBlues 12-20-2013 11:13 AM

FrayedEnds made a really good point about grooming. My neighbor has a poodle, she bought a clipper and trims the dog herself. Granted the dog has a basic, all one length cut, but it could be an option if you have budget concerns.

Hope-Full 12-20-2013 02:42 PM

Local shelters, or look for local rescues. I rescued my 5.5 year old chihuahua mix last November and he has truly saved my life many times over. He's a small guy, 9 pounds, and loves to snuggle and cuddle. Rescue fees are ALWAYS much less than breeders, and the $$ goes to rescuing and helping more dogs/animals.

I hear you on the $$. I have a very limited budget, and rescuing the dog was the most expensive part. Vet bills have been relatively minimal, and food and treats are not too bad at all, actually. He is my best friend, and the only reason I am still here.