advertisement
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

bluedolphin92 is feelin' alright

My Mood:

2 yr Member
71 hugs
given
Default I have no idea what I want to do with my life

I know I want to finish school, and I'm relatively certain I'd like to pursue an advanced degree, but what kind of work do I actually want to do? What kinds of things do I actually want out of life? What things will actually help to make me happy again, make me feel like there's actual meaning in my life?

I wish I could win the lottery or something...Just take a semester or two off of school, move out of my parents house, and try to figure some of this stuff out somehow

bluedolphin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

kaliope is trying to figure it all out

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,480 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I have no idea what I want to do with my life

have you thought of going to a career counselor to talk about things you may be interested in? they can give you tests to help locate interests and things you may be good at. you can take the Meyers-briggs personality test online and it typically offers career choices that are best suited for your personality type. is it possible to take some time off of school? would you go back? can you move out? set some small goals for yourself and I bet after you find yourself achieving them you will feel better about yourself and your future.

kaliope is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Grand Member
jesusplay has no updates.

My Mood:

131 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedolphin92 View Post
I know I want to finish school, and I'm relatively certain I'd like to pursue an advanced degree, but what kind of work do I actually want to do? What kinds of things do I actually want out of life? What things will actually help to make me happy again, make me feel like there's actual meaning in my life?

I wish I could win the lottery or something...Just take a semester or two off of school, move out of my parents house, and try to figure some of this stuff out somehow
I feel you, I just did 3 years in the military straight out of high school. I could collect disability from the military, I can go to school for free.

And I'm just sitting in my parents house doing nothing.

What's the point?
jesusplay is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #4

missminnie Live, Laugh, Love

My Mood:

15 hugs
given

Have you thought of pursuing a career in social work or in being a councilor? I find that many people who suffer from depression (including me) love to help others, it makes us feel needed, useful, and that we're doing something good for the world and the people in it (:

I wish you all the best
missminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

My Mood:

2 yr Member
71 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliope View Post
have you thought of going to a career counselor to talk about things you may be interested in? they can give you tests to help locate interests and things you may be good at. you can take the Meyers-briggs personality test online and it typically offers career choices that are best suited for your personality type. is it possible to take some time off of school? would you go back? can you move out? set some small goals for yourself and I bet after you find yourself achieving them you will feel better about yourself and your future.
I've taken those tests before but the results never seem to excite me too much =/. I could take time of school if I really wanted to, but I don't really want to since that would mean I'd have to live at home and start working. I'm seriously considering transferring to a school a bit further from home. Not 100% sure what I'll do once I get there but it's a start.

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #6

My Mood:

2 yr Member
71 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by missminnie View Post
Have you thought of pursuing a career in social work or in being a councilor? I find that many people who suffer from depression (including me) love to help others, it makes us feel needed, useful, and that we're doing something good for the world and the people in it (:

I wish you all the best
I'd like to help others, but I don't know if social work or counseling is the best option for me. I'm thinking I'd like to help people in a less hands-on, face-to-face type of way. Doing research or something. On what, I have no idea.

Hugs from: