Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
jean17 has no updates.

My Mood:

288 hugs
given
Unhappy Anxiety wins

It doesn't seem to matter what I do or don't do I just can't rid myself of anxiety and the intense despair & despondency that go along with it. Today was supposed to be a nice quiet, alone day after a few days of having to be with people. I am an extreme introvert, have a social phobia and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I'm on antidepressants and anxiolytics, but some days nothing helps. I pray, I garden, I take extra doses, but the anxiety stays with me. I feel like such a failure. If all this can't help, then there must be something wrong with me. I really fear for myself; that one day it will be unbearable. I'm so afraid that my mental health care team will give up on me if I don't "improve". I hurt. Please send hugs. to all and thank you.
jean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sam2 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given
Default Re: Anxiety wins

If you have a good mental health team, they won't give up on you. Anxiety is complicated, and so are medications that treat them. What works for one doesn't for another. Social phobia can be hard. I've lived in the house I'm in with two friends for fifteen years and seen their kids and friends come and go. If there is anyone but my two friends down there, I won't go out of my room. Sometimes days go by when I don't leave the house.

Have you spoken to your team about the lack of improvement you have had with your current medication? I wouldn't worry about them giving up on you. Im sure they h ave had difficult cases before. Most people in that field are compassionate and want you to feel better. Be honest with them and let them know how you are really doing.

just a note, watch the extra doses on your anti-anxiety medications. Many of those can cause a tolerance problem. If you take more than you are supposed to, the next time, your body thinks it should be getting the higher dose. There are many medications for that these days, and if the one you are on isn't working, its time to try another.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,438 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean17 View Post
Today was supposed to be a nice quiet, alone day after a few days of having to be with people.
Hmmm... Is it possible your anxiety is flaring for the very reason you can relax after that time of increased pressure? I sometimes "pay" for periods of social interaction once they're over.
Hugs from:
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Legendary Wise Elder

Fuzzybear in my cave

10 yr Member
7,822 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Re: Anxiety wins

((((((( jean17 )))))))
Anxiety sucks
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

kaliope is pissed at life

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4,517 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Jean
i have no solutions to offer you. i just wanted to let you know you are not alone. i have the same problem as you. i just try to remember that nobody has ever died from anxiety. i just cope with it everyday as best as i can and some days are worse than others. i try everything i possibly can to alleviate it. i just bought a workbook that uses mindfulness and ACT therapy. every little bit helps. i tried hypnotherapy and that worked wonders for a few months. i have to go back. it is my mission in life to tackle the anxiety. hang in there.

kaliope is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: