Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Anonymous100111
Anonymous100111 has no updates. Edit

Unhappy I was both wrong and right

Well, me and my mom had the conversation. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I was right about her not liking the idea of meds, but I told her about my suicidal thoughts and that seemed to be enough to convince her to have me see a professional. I'm happy about that. Now I face another obstacle: my dad. He doesn't trust or like therapists. He hates them. If he says no, I'm back to where I started! My life rests in his hands.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
bohemiangirl85 has no updates.

My Mood:

73 hugs
given
Default Re: I was both wrong and right

I'm assuming you are under 18 years old?
bohemiangirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Anonymous100111

Well, yes.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't see why HE should have the final word. What's the matter with your MOM? Is she afraid of him? Can't she make any decisions?

Seems to me that if SHE says that she thinks you need therapy, that should be enough! Dad must be a big bully, huh?

Mom should tell him that it's for YOUR benefit, and you NEED it. Of course, if she's afraid of him, I don't know what to tell you.

All I can do is wish you the very best. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
phaset King of the Hypocrites

My Mood:

46 hugs
given

If he says no, you are not back where you started. You were able to ask for help, that is a big step. It's not your failing.

I still think you should insist on seeing your doctor and bring your mom with you, even if they say they don't want you to take medication or go to therapy.

"I want go to the doctor and find out if I really have depression".
phaset is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #6

Harmacy has no updates.

53 hugs
given

It must be difficult having one parent who is against meds and the other who doesn't approve of therapists.

My personal opinion is that therapy, particularly CBT, is better than meds at a young age. I didn't get any counselling or therapy back when I was younger and looking back, I believe it could have done me a lot of good. I was put on meds only (not even any follow on support from my GP) in my early 20s and I don't think it did any long term help at all. The real breakthrough for me came quite recently when I did some CBT and a lot of reading on mindfulness, other eastern practices and general psychology (I'm doing a degree in that right now).

That said, I can totally see how meds could be helpful for some and it's just my opinion. I hope you find something that works and makes things better for you.
Harmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Anonymous100111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
I don't see why HE should have the final word. What's the matter with your MOM? Is she afraid of him? Can't she make any decisions?

Seems to me that if SHE says that she thinks you need therapy, that should be enough! Dad must be a big bully, huh?

Mom should tell him that it's for YOUR benefit, and you NEED it. Of course, if she's afraid of him, I don't know what to tell you.

All I can do is wish you the very best. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
Well, if he does say no, my mom told me we are going to try really hard to convince him. He isn't a big bully, but he is big. Sometimes intimidating. But 75% of the time he's a big teddy bear. The other 25% is when he is a bully. I'm his favorite, so I think it will be easier to convince him.