Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Wolfgang34 Tries to stop worrying

My Mood:

2 yr Member
Default Why am I so easily irritated?

Most people I know are irritable about two to three times a month. Me, on the other hand, I usually get irritable about two to three times everyday and it's usually over something minor.

I have a low patience threshold meaning that something like a slow computer, a humid day or a slow car on the road can make me easily irritated. Luckily for me in my case, I'm also very timid, but also quite rational and compassionate meaning that I don't snap and scream at people whenever I'm irritated because that usually solves nothing. So I tend to internalize it all. So while I save a person or two from a bad day it usually has an adverse reaction on me.

Aside from some headaches and dizziness here and there, whenever I'm moody I tend to ruminate on all the bad or grating people I've had to put up with, coming up with more and more complex ways of bringing serious harm to them, if not outright killing them. Mind you, this happens at least two to three times a day for me so I'm thinking of that for two to three days at a time.

Any suggestions, tips or concerns are welcomed.

Thanks.
Wolfgang34 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Account Suspended
allimsaying found out that loving everyone is hard.

2 yr Member
2,259 hugs
given
Default Re: Why am I so easily irritated?

I know what you mean. I really like my job and the people I work with but just about everyday at work I get intense anger like that. Ive gradually been diminishing the intensity with breathing and focusing on the task at hand. Experiencing intense irritation has left such a dislike of it in my mind that simply remembering how much I dont like it is enough to help me slow it down when it starts to happen.
allimsaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
1Buster working on stuff

My Mood:

G.A.D. - Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Depression or the other thing I have that's not quite MDD - Dysthymia.

You sound like me. Often pissed at everyone, always muttering curses under my breath, but raised too well to go off on people - I save it for when I'm driving.

A couple AD meds didn't do the trick b/c of side effects but I'm a couple weeks into an anti-anxiety med that seems to be working - for now.

RX: Buspirone - Ritalin IR - Plaquenil - Allopurinol - Atenolol - Lisinopril - Ibuprofen - Immodium - Eyeglasses - Beer

Past RX: Celexa - Wellbutrin - Vyvanse - Adderall
1Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
Grand Member

bharani1008 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
690 hugs
given

I think that being depressed uses so much energy that little things get us down easily. When something seems to go wrong it means we have to take action to correct it. That entails concentration and effort. If our store of energy is being used just to maintain then yeah, you get irritated. I also think that our level of frustration in life is also at a natural high since we don't get our needs met. That also makes one irritated. Perhaps you can just give yourself permission to be frustrated and irritated for a few minutes-- then let it go.
I'm a victim of jealousy too. Haven't found an effective coping mechanism for that one. I hate it. It makes me feel so petty. I really do want to be a decent person and that spoils it.
If you come up with a good way to cope with jealousy please post it.
Agomelatine 25mg pm
Alprazoline 0.5- 1mg prn
bharani1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Grand Member

Pierro is so good at pretending

My Mood:

439 hugs
given

A punch bag might be a good idea as you are holding on to all this irritability. Just a thought !
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Account Suspended
allimsaying found out that loving everyone is hard.

2 yr Member
2,259 hugs
given

I think for me, when things stack up, the frustration rises to the surface easier. Like if I have to deal with a slow car, a demanding person, time pressure, bad weather, etc., and all of it builds, I feel like Im just not adequate enough to deal with all of it and its unfair that others expect me to. Having dealt with it poorly in the past sets the course for doing the same thing over and over again.

During my cooler times I think about how irrational that is. I try to think through the reality which is these things happen to everyone and not everyone loses their temper over it. I try and tell myself these are normal situations that occur everyday to a lot of people so it isnt life being against me. Then, when those things line up again and taunt me, I have the rational understanding to turn to. That helps me keep from getting so angry.

I really do want to be a decent person too. Wanting to be is the first step to becoming I think and I think we have to give ourselves credit that even though we arent perfect in every way, we're trying and someday, if not perfect, at least we'll be able to handle this better and avoid as many unpleasant experiences as possible than if we just ignored it and said 'oh well', or worse, acted on our anger and someone gets really hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharani1008 View Post
I think that being depressed uses so much energy that little things get us down easily. When something seems to go wrong it means we have to take action to correct it. That entails concentration and effort. If our store of energy is being used just to maintain then yeah, you get irritated. I also think that our level of frustration in life is also at a natural high since we don't get our needs met. That also makes one irritated. Perhaps you can just give yourself permission to be frustrated and irritated for a few minutes-- then let it go.
I'm a victim of jealousy too. Haven't found an effective coping mechanism for that one. I hate it. It makes me feel so petty. I really do want to be a decent person and that spoils it.
If you come up with a good way to cope with jealousy please post it.
allimsaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
The ghost at #1

George H. Tony or Tigger? Hobbes?

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,495 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Stress makes me very irritable as does too much sleep. Too little sleep doesn't seem to affect me that way. I was under extreme pressure yesterday to finish a job. Murphy's Law kept coming up. I got so frustrated I started raging and threw a little temper tantrum. Very embarrassing. I hate being immature and out of control.
Maybe you share some of these things... the too much sleep and or extreme stress.

était-ce un rêve?
était-ce juste un rêve?
George H. is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
anonymous8113
anonymous8113 has no updates. Edit

Irritating feelings are often there because there is too much acid in your system.

All medications leave an acid residue or ash.

You can correct that by taking potassium gluconate (which helps increase alkalinity of your tissues and fluids or you can squeeze 2 lemons in water and drink it.
Any citric acid food is good for helping with alkalinity. (99mg of elemental potassium is equal to 600 mg. potassium. 2 tablets of 99 mg elemental potassium are the maximum one would need.)

If you aren't better in 4 hours, repeat the "lemon thing", I call it. It works for
some of us.

The usual ingestion of potassium is about 1600 mgs. per day. You'll get enough
in your diet if you have one that allows for many alkaline-reacting products.

These things help reduce the acid load of stress, drugs, some diet habits that include too much sugar, wheat, etc., the most acid-producing foods in digestion.
That would include diet sodas (containing aspartame--which is extremely acidic),
coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. It's all available for you to read online.

It may help with anxiety as well as irritability and impatience. No need for you to
be so irritable, especially while driving an auto. That might place you more at risk
for an accident. We need to keep the system calm.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
1Buster working on stuff

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post
Irritating feelings are often there because there is too much acid in your system.

All medications leave an acid residue or ash.

You can correct that by taking potassium gluconate (which helps increase alkalinity of your tissues and fluids or you can squeeze 2 lemons in water and drink it.
Any citric acid food is good for helping with alkalinity. (99mg of elemental potassium is equal to 600 mg. potassium. 2 tablets of 99 mg elemental potassium are the maximum one would need.)

If you aren't better in 4 hours, repeat the "lemon thing", I call it. It works for
some of us.

The usual ingestion of potassium is about 1600 mgs. per day. You'll get enough
in your diet if you have one that allows for many alkaline-reacting products.

These things help reduce the acid load of stress, drugs, some diet habits that include too much sugar, wheat, etc., the most acid-producing foods in digestion.
That would include diet sodas (containing aspartame--which is extremely acidic),
coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. It's all available for you to read online.

It may help with anxiety as well as irritability and impatience. No need for you to
be so irritable, especially while driving an auto. That might place you more at risk
for an accident. We need to keep the system calm.

Say wha.... ?! Look, I'm all for trying whatever will help me, certain supplements included, but if just taking a few more vitamins and minerals would make me feel all better, I'd go smack all my docs in the face.

We're irritable and impatient because of our conditions and we've reinforced that behavior over time. It's impulsive and irrational and it will take many things (drugs, therapy, support, not being such a dumbass and recognizing it immediately, etc.) and much time to change that.

I don't know anything about your citric acid theory, but I do know that citrus fruits are contra-indicated with some of my meds, so I'd be careful about recommending such things universally.

RX: Buspirone - Ritalin IR - Plaquenil - Allopurinol - Atenolol - Lisinopril - Ibuprofen - Immodium - Eyeglasses - Beer

Past RX: Celexa - Wellbutrin - Vyvanse - Adderall
1Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
anonymous8113
anonymous8113 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Buster View Post
Say wha.... ?! Look, I'm all for trying whatever will help me, certain supplements included, but if just taking a few more vitamins and minerals would make me feel all better, I'd go smack all my docs in the face.

We're irritable and impatient because of our conditions and we've reinforced that behavior over time. It's impulsive and irrational and it will take many things (drugs, therapy, support, not being such a dumbass and recognizing it immediately, etc.) and much time to change that.

I don't know anything about your citric acid theory, but I do know that citrus fruits are contra-indicated with some of my meds, so I'd be careful about recommending such things universally.

Citric acid theory is not mine. It is hotly contested by some sights on
the internet and strongly recommended by other sites. The major problem with those who contest it is that citrus fruits often contain too much sugar, which is very acidifying to tissue and fluids. The lemon and lime do not fit that category, and potassium is known to be effective in lowering acidic states of fluids and tissues--completely different from the Ph of the system which remains stable within a very narrow margin.

Sorry, I needed to say, as I usually do, that it works for some of us.

I couldn't find evidence of any meds that require one to avoid potassisum, but would like to know which ones do, because I'd make it a point to avoid it if possible---just for myself.

It is generally known that stress causes strong acidity and anything
that helps avoid that may have beneficial value, in my view.

As for striking your doctors in the face, I wouldn't advise that. You might find yourself in a serious lawsuit. The truth is that many doctors don't really know that much about what their medications are doing to patients who suffer serious side effects. Many will tell you that it often takes 3 or more changes in medications during treatment to reach a satisfory "coctail" to treat mental illness.

And then there's the problem of what to do about the acidic ash of those meds.
I wonder why the psychiatrists don't give us information on that? I think many probably do who are knowledgeable about what helps relieve it.

Last edited by anonymous8113; 05-10-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Hugs from: