Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
UnWise Elder

shortandcute doesn't say "AAAHHH" for nuthin'.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,131 hugs
given
Mad I guess I really AM an awful Christian!!!!!

My brother in law came by for a visit, which usually doesn't bother me. But today, I guess it was time for him to tell me what for!
According to him, I suffer from depression because:
1. I don't spend several hours a day reading my Bible.
2. I don't "talk about the Bible enough"
3. I'm not quoting scripture enough.
4. I'm not going around trying to force Bible studies on younger women.
5. ....and I'm not over at their house all the time wanting them to "teach me about the Bible."

They were my legal guardians for my last 2 years of high school, and yes, I did love reading the Bible because I found it fascinating. I even memorized a lot of scriptures. But that is all he remembers; he doesn't remember that they always thought I was living in secret sin because I was suffering from depression at that time too.

shortandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
anonymous8113
anonymous8113 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: I guess I really AM an awful Christian!!!!!

Oh, Short and Cute, how sad that you would be exposed to that. Christianity isn't
like that at all in healthy people. Please don't pay any attention to that kind of behavior. It's ignorance par excellence, in my view.

And don't let it discourage you from your love for Christianity. It's a life saver for
many of us, and it isn't what your brother-in-law proposes. Please believe that.

Keep in touch with your psychiatrist and follow his/her instructions about your
health. You will get a clear view of yourself and your family members through healing with psychiatry and medications.

Take care.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #3

will19 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
68 hugs
given

Short and Cute - I hope you didn't really mean it when you titled "I guess I really AM and awful Christian!!!" Because you are not an awful Christian.
You are worthy a lot as a person and a Christian. Anyone who would tell you that you are an awful Christian is being very judgmental and more likely that they are the awful ones.

I've heard the whole bit of having depression because of not being right with God or not getting into Him enough. That's just hooey!

Go on and just be yourself! I think you are doing great!
will19 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
So hopeful has no updates.

7 hugs
given

Many Christians and other believers in God suffer from depression. There are so many candid, profound, helpful and deeply inspiring books written by Christians on the subject of depression. I'd be happy to send you some titles if you like.
So hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will19 View Post
...more likely that they are the awful ones.
Agreed.

Hmmm...? I wonder if somehow they need you to feel bad about yourself in order to support their own view of themselves? Just speculating...
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
UnWise Elder

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,131 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohag View Post
Agreed.

Hmmm...? I wonder if somehow they need you to feel bad about yourself in order to support their own view of themselves? Just speculating...
Sounds about right!Ever since I can remember, they've always hated it when people didn't follow their belief system--even b4 they were Christians.

Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear in my cave

10 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison

healingme4me 'He who overcomes himself is strong.' -Tao te Ching

My Mood:

5,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

To me, being a Christian has more to do with how we treat one another. How many hours you study the Bible, hmmmm...falls in line with actions speak louder than words and condemning you, my words--by virtue of what he said to you--, isn't Christian like, in my view.
I subscribe to the Golden Rule, and that's enough for me, to live by, ontop of whatever else a good Christian does. ((being charitable, giving isn't all about dollar donations, being kind to others, etc...))

You mention, before they were Christian?? What changed their worldview, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandcute View Post
Sounds about right!Ever since I can remember, they've always hated it when people didn't follow their belief system--even b4 they were Christians.
Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Missy_H has no updates.

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given

Healingme4me is right. Reading and quoting scripture has nothing to do with how good a Christian you are.
Anybody can read the Bible and quote a verse. That doesn't mean they are good Christians.

Being a good Christian is about your actions. In fact, take the "Christian" part out of it and just be a good person. Treat others nicely. Do good things. Be kind and polite and don't judge others. That is far more important than reading and re-reading the Bible over and over again.
Missy_H is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
UnWise Elder

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,131 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by healingme4me View Post
To me, being a Christian has more to do with how we treat one another. How many hours you study the Bible, hmmmm...falls in line with actions speak louder than words and condemning you, my words--by virtue of what he said to you--, isn't Christian like, in my view.
I subscribe to the Golden Rule, and that's enough for me, to live by, ontop of whatever else a good Christian does. ((being charitable, giving isn't all about dollar donations, being kind to others, etc...))

You mention, before they were Christian?? What changed their worldview, if you don't mind my asking?
It's kind of a long story behind how and why they became Christians, and I really don't remember all the details. But I do remember that even before that, if people didn't see things the way they did, they weren't "aware," they were "full of the bulls**t," etc. And even then they were always trying to "rescue" everybody. I remember a few years back, they were selling Tupperware, and my other brother-in-law told me one time, "I kept expecting ***** to start saying, 'Praise Tupperware,' 'Praise Tupperware.' "

"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: