Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
newlifeyeah one day I am gonna grow wings

My Mood:

72 hugs
given
Default Paxil - when does it start working?

hello,
i'm a 25 years old, otherwise healthy male, from Budapest, Hungary.
I started to take Paroxetine on the 12th of March, for pretty serious depression symptoms, mainly fatigue, and anxiety. (which is so severe, that I'm completely out of living my life, im just at home basically).

i started a dose of 10mg, and took that for about 5 weeks, and then switched doctors, because the first one was unreliable, and wouldnt respond to my calls, and called off meetings, so anyways, the new doc is really kind and helpful, and she had my dose increased to 20 mg, and I've been taking that higher dose since last Thursday, so basically today is my 5th day.

On Thursday I had a panic attack, due to the increase of the dose, but I didn't think about it too much, I'm pretty sensitive to substances like this, due to past 2-3 years of marijuana smoking. (which I quit 3 and a half years ago completely).
After the panic attack, the next couple of days were good, it was slowly starting to get better, I was starting to feel more energy, and I was calmer. And then yesterday I stressed out on something, so since then my fatigue has gotten worse.

I know it's not a day-by-day progress, but I was just wondering, what should I expect after a dose-increase? is it going to take weeks to start taking full effect?
other than that I go to psychotherapy twice a week, so I don't expect complete relief from just the SSRI.
THANK YOU FOR READING AND ANSWERS!!

good luck everybody, I hope you guys are doing good and having a nice day!
newlifeyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Paxil - when does it start working?

It shouldn't take long at all for the increase to take effect. Usually it's pretty immediate, since you've been on the medication already. It is NOT a matter of weeks! I would say that within a week, you should be feeling the total effects of the higher dose.

I just recently was switched from Cymbalta to Prozac, because the Cymbalta quit working. The Prozac began working IMMEDIATELY -- I felt wonderful the next day! And I'm very hard to medicate too, so I was very surprised!! He had put me on a low dose also, and I'd been on 120mg of cymbalta. I'm now on only 20mg of Prozac -- so this is pretty unusual.

I hope you feel better. Please take good care of yourself! God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

My Mood:

72 hugs
given

thank you very much!
I really really hope it kicks in sooner than later! I need that energy to do my everyday tasks! I'm a bit afraid though, that it won't start working for some reason...but let's hope the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
It shouldn't take long at all for the increase to take effect. Usually it's pretty immediate, since you've been on the medication already. It is NOT a matter of weeks! I would say that within a week, you should be feeling the total effects of the higher dose.

I just recently was switched from Cymbalta to Prozac, because the Cymbalta quit working. The Prozac began working IMMEDIATELY -- I felt wonderful the next day! And I'm very hard to medicate too, so I was very surprised!! He had put me on a low dose also, and I'd been on 120mg of cymbalta. I'm now on only 20mg of Prozac -- so this is pretty unusual.

I hope you feel better. Please take good care of yourself! God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Poohbah

nevergoodenough has no updates.

My Mood:

140 hugs
given

Did the 10mg help with your depression at all? I'm asking because I've been on 10mg for about five months and it's only helped my anxiety symptoms.
nevergoodenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

My Mood:

72 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
Did the 10mg help with your depression at all? I'm asking because I've been on 10mg for about five months and it's only helped my anxiety symptoms.
hello!
no, the 10mg is not enough for depression. I've heard from several psychiatrists that 20mg is the lowest active dose. so 10mg is more like a placebo.

my biggest problem is the fatigue. I have very low energy, and when I try to perform a daily activity of any kind, I get worn out very very fast. So this makes it impossible to go out and meet with friends, and live a normal social life.

I talked to my psychiatrist today, and she said, I should be patient, the full effects are only gonna be showing after 2 weeks or so. I'm trying to be patient, but I've been patient for 7 months now, and it's starting to get too much. but I hope the best. I'm at least trying my best with the psychotherapy and the medication. So far not what I expected, but probably there are deep problems if someone ends up in depression. And it takes time, and lots of pain to heal.
am I right?