Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Patandorf is in a toxic environment where it hurts a lot.

My Mood:

27 hugs
given
Default Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura is designed to show the outside in. A reflection of what is. It's kinda like seeing the world in a the screen of a camera, but inside a box. A better way to describe it in modern terms. It's like seeing the world through the monitor on your camera phone. It's supposed to make someone realize seeing the world through the eyes of something else, you become disconnected and even though you can say you were there, you can't say that because you saw it through something.

I have a question, a question that can be defined by many means, but only one matters. I have no idea what it means, but..... If I go to the a hospital to get ECT, voluntarily, does the US government see that as being committed to a mental health institution or hospital for treatment?

I just don't know, yes I am going for treatment, but it isn't being committed, after each treatment I would get to go home and not be forced to stay. It's like taking anti-depressants, but a bit more complicated and somewhere else. It's treatment, but not a conventional one.

I see it like this, If I am forced to go that's one thing, If I go voluntarily because I'm not doing well, that's another thing. If I go because it's just another treatment that's another thing. So can the US government call it being committed. I also see it like this, how does the government know if I'm depressed if I don't go at all.

The laws are complicated and there getting more complicated in the state where I have to call my place of residency. I have all the paperwork and the money to get my pistol permit. People may say that this is something I shouldn't get in my present frame of mind, but the laws are changing so drastically that I will not be able to get it if I wait and it's not a matter of if I can get it, it's about, to even go shooting with my friends I will have to get it and I will have to wait. Going shooting with my friends is only one in a few things that make me happy.

To put some reassurances out there, I don't have the money to buy a pistol nor do I want to. There are no guns in my house, there is no feasible way of hurting myself with one. So getting the stupid permit is one thing. Yes it will let me buy one, but I don't plan to and if I do, I will have to tell my parents because the new laws require me to.

Here is the new law that is coming into effect: "Anyone confined in a psychiatric hospital within the past five years will be ineligible for a gun permit or eligibility certificate, a change from one year now. Also anyone who voluntarily entered a psychiatric hospital during the preceding six months, except solely for alcohol or drug treatment, will be ineligible."

It all comes down to perspective, does one take the image and interpret it through something or does the someone look out towards the actual thing being recorded.
Patandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Camera Obscura

You don't have to worry. That is NOT a commitment. It is just a treatment. I say go ahead and buy the gun.

But -- how old are you? Are you a minor? You mentioned something about telling your parents!! You should NOT buy a gun without their knowledge!

Then you said you don't WANT to buy a gun. Then why the permit? I'm confused.

At any rate, the government will not interfere (at THIS point ) because it wasn't a commitment. If you think you will want a gun in the future, you'd better get it NOW. Cause it's going to get harder and harder to purchase a gun in the U.S. later. And we citizens may need one. (Unfortunately)

I wish you the very best. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Patandorf is in a toxic environment where it hurts a lot.

My Mood:

27 hugs
given
Default Re: Camera Obscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
You don't have to worry. That is NOT a commitment. It is just a treatment. I say go ahead and buy the gun.

But -- how old are you? Are you a minor? You mentioned something about telling your parents!! You should NOT buy a gun without their knowledge!

Then you said you don't WANT to buy a gun. Then why the permit? I'm confused.

At any rate, the government will not interfere (at THIS point) because it wasn't a commitment. If you think you will want a gun in the future, you'd better get it NOW. Cause it's going to get harder and harder to purchase a gun in the U.S. later.

That's a little reassuring, I'm not a minor, I'm 22 and I don't want to buy a gun, just get the permit. Because to even go shooting or by ammunition for my friends gun so I can use it, I will need one.

I have already done the pistol permit class and just need to file the rest of it and pay everything. Just because I'm getting the permit doesn't mean I am getting a pistol, just the "license" to carry, use or buy one. The permit is good for 5 years and I can renew it without going through the hassle of jumping through hoops to get it.

The new laws are getting tough, things are going to get hard to get one in the future, but having the permit now, it's just one less hassle to get through. I'm not getting one now, but maybe in a few years when I'm working and reliant on my parents; I don't want to be one of those young adults reliant on their parents for everything because of a mental issue. I want to get better, but ECT is still up in the air whether or not my doctors think should get it, I won't know for probably another month.

Whatever happens, happens.
Patandorf is offline   Reply With Quote