Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

frownupsidedown has no updates.

4 hugs
given
Default Friend vs Therapist

I've just restarted seeing a therapist for my depression. The problem is my closest friend thinks I'm doing the wrong thing--she thinks I shouldn't go back to therapy because it makes me too dependent on the mental health system. On the other hand, I've talked to two therapists about whether I should or should not restart therapy--both said they think it would help me and one of them also said they thought I needed a seasoned therapist to work with me. So do I trust that my friend knows best or the therapists?
frownupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #2

liveforfish has no updates.

2 yr Member

Therapists. Friend should support the best for you.
liveforfish is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
montanan4ever has no updates.

56 hugs
given
Default Re: Friend vs Therapist

Upon what evidence does your friend base this claim? And what qualifications does she possess to make it?
montanan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #4

4 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanan4ever View Post
Upon what evidence does your friend base this claim? And what qualifications does she possess to make it?
I think she's basing this on my having been in therapy for over a decade with little improvement and the fact that she was able to recover from her own depression/ptsd by just deciding to change her thinking, getting out of mental health and eventually off medication and getting back into life by having a positive/nothing can stop me attitude.

I can't seem to change my thinking and focus only on positive stuff--I wish I could do that and be like her and be in full recovery, but I haven't gotten there yet even after so many years--and I feel alot of guilt for making so little progress and wonder if this is all just my fault, an attitude problem, or shear stubborness. Should I continue therapy if the reason I'm stuck is purely my own fault? Arrgh!
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #5

hester91 has no updates.

My Mood:

Smile Re: Friend vs Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownupsidedown View Post
I've just restarted seeing a therapist for my depression. The problem is my closest friend thinks I'm doing the wrong thing--she thinks I shouldn't go back to therapy because it makes me too dependent on the mental health system. On the other hand, I've talked to two therapists about whether I should or should not restart therapy--both said they think it would help me and one of them also said they thought I needed a seasoned therapist to work with me. So do I trust that my friend knows best or the therapists?
Hey there,
I know what you mean about dependence on therapy. But sometimes it helps to talk to someone impartial. Maybe your friend has issues with reaching out for help. There's no shame in going into therapy. Trust your gut.
Take care of yourself.
hester91 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Grand Wise Rabbit

tinyrabbit is plotting and planning

3,080 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You and your friend are not the same person.

Incidentally, her approach sounds like mine. It worked for a few years, then I had a minor breakdown and realised I did in fact need therapy.

PTSD doesn't just go away. She hasn't recovered. She has dissociated.
tinyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Legendary

ECHOES is knitting.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
979 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownupsidedown View Post
Trust yourself.
Your friend doesn't appreciate it has dependency issues that are her own.

When I told my therapist that my family member thought I should just "take a pill", she just said that friends and family don't "get" therapy. They don't get what it's about (on our own personal level) and that's okay if they don't.
I am so thankful for my therapy and my relationship with my therapist and I plan to give myself the gift of therapy for as long as I want to.

Your friend can disagree, but you get to do what you think is right. It might be helpful, though, to not share about therapy with your friend. It sounds like one of those areas where you will always disagree.
ECHOES is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

4 hugs
given

Thanks everybody for your responses--it helps me gain a better perspective on things!
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

CharactorAssassin has no updates.

Depends how dependant you become. I mean you probably would wise to get therapy and use discretion. You can become very dependent at the hand of a jackass and depend on that same jackass to undo serious damage. Serious.
CharactorAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

CharactorAssassin has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharactorAssassin View Post
Depends how dependant you become. I mean you probably would wise to get therapy and use discretion. You can become very dependent at the hand of a jackass and depend on that same jackass to undo serious damage. Serious.
Or you can get bad advice from a professional and make a bad decision that is not right for you and end up worse off. It all has happened to me. Use your discretion.
CharactorAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote