Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
anon20140705
anon20140705 has no updates. Edit

Default I'm experiencing conversion disorder

That's basically when a person is so stressed out it comes up as physical problems, even though there is no physical cause. In my case there is SOME physical basis, in that I do have arthritis and disc compression in my lower spine. However, that wouldn't account for the fact that I basically feel numb throughout my body right now. I can force my body parts to move, but they don't want to. My face and hands feel almost no sensation, and the soles of my feet have been tingling since yesterday. Diabetic neuropathy is also possible, but my blood sugar readings have been pretty decent.

My question is: Acting on the probability that there is no anatomical reason for me to be having these symptoms, how do I manage them and go on to do what I need to do? Just ignore it and tell myself it isn't real?
Hugs from:
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sam2 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given
Default Re: I'm experiencing conversion disorder

Lovebird,
if you have a compressed disc in your spine, don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of a physical cause for your symptoms. Between that and your diabetes, the best place to start is at your Dr.s office.

Depression can make you lethargic and emotionally numb, but when you have a numb face and some other physically abnormal feelings, it just isn't worth taking a chance. Attempting to ignore what your body is trying to tell you may be dangerous.

Let us know what happnes.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
anon20140705

I'm calling both my family doctor and my psychiatrist as soon as the clinic opens.

I forgot to mention that I've already been to the ER, so I know there is nothing dire going on.
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
anonymous8113
anonymous8113 has no updates. Edit

My sister has the numbness in the soles of the feet, too, and hers is related to a problem in the spinal cord and compression of a nerve. She has just accepted in and
gets along well, but is cautious about walking where there is risk of falling.

The stress is probably a big element that needs to be addressed because it has
such acidic effects on the system in the long run. You need to counteract
its effects by trying to maintain a more alkaline state of fluids and tissues, according to some writers on the subject.
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
anon20140705

That makes sense. Thank you. A big part of the trouble with conversion disorder is that sometimes people (both professional and otherwise) can assume that anything going on is psychiatric in origin, and not even consider other possible medical causes. I've had people in the medical profession tell me that because I was doubled over in abdominal pain and crying, I was having a panic attack, and that's what they treated me for. They didn't even look at my stomach, so they missed the fact that I was developing an ulcer, as it later turned out. (Alkaline diet again?)

I'm still having numbness in the face, feet, and hands. The numbness in my hands is making it hard for me to grip, which means I'm prone to dropping things a lot, and tasks like eating are clumsy for me to do. It also feels as if my left hand (I'm left-handed, by the way) is swollen. It's hard to get my wedding ring off, but that's just as much because the fingers of my right hand aren't feeling it when I touch the ring. My left hand looks maybe a little puffy, but minimally, and my ring doesn't look tight.

I know that conversion disorder isn't the same thing as, "Oh, it's all in your mind," or "You're faking it." After making the OP I called my insurance company's nurse line, and she said it wouldn't do me any good to tell myself it isn't real. It's very real.
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

catsrhelm has no updates.

My Mood:

25 hugs
given
Heart Go see the doctor anyway.

Go see the doctor anyway. One time, I had a mess of stress and it manifested as symptoms mocking cervical cancer. It scared the c**p out of me, and made me a little sad. However, I got the hold of a good doctor and she told me that stress was just doing strange things to me, and that there was no cancer. You won't believe how relieved I felt.
catsrhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
anon20140705

Pdoc visit Thursday morning. It has to wait that long because it's her first day back from vacation.