Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
UnWise Elder

shortandcute doesn't say "AAAHHH" for nuthin'.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,136 hugs
given
Default discouarged

I am feeling really down right now. I'm tired of struggling month to month. I don't know what's going on with my disability thing. They still haven't set a court date for the appeal hearing and I don't know how much more of this I can take. My daughter is really upset with me for not being a better provider--at the end of the month we struggle more to put food on the table and she thinks I'm just doing this on purpose. My son is struggling with depression, but he refuses to get help for it. The whole thing is just wearing me down.

shortandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Community Support Team

shezbut is ____.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
11,550 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: discouarged

(((shortandcute)))

I am very sorry to hear that you're struggling so much while you wait to find out the results of the disability court decision.

I do recall the time crawling by while I waited several years ago. It can be awfully tough not to take it personally and worry that you're basically screwed! But ~ trust me, extreme patience, a suit of armor, and someone logical (a person who can break down what they're saying or asking for to you) is extraordinarily helpful!

Gentle hugs sent your way.

shezbut is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sam2 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: discouarged

Have you sat down with your daughter and told her just how bad things are? I had to do that with my teenage son recently and realized that he had no idea that things were as bad as they were. Afterwards, he was more accepting of my limitations.

Growing up, my mother was trying to deal with her youngest son who was drinking and partying out of control, me trying to kill myself everytime I turned around, and my older brother who had OCD and was very violent. It was only after I was in my thirties that I realized just how much she was going through just trying to hold things together. In a lot of ways, it sounds like that is where you are, plus trying to deal with your own pain.

Most teens are notoriously selfish and can't see beyond their own problems. As they get older, that seems to change. I know that doesn't help much now, but much of what you are getting from your daughter may not be a personal as it sounds. Even with kids, honesty can help. Meeting anger with anger is sure to spark off a scene. Perhaps she could use a couple of therapy sessions aimed at making her aware of what you are going through and how she can help. When it comes from another adult, (not the parent), it can make a difference. Lets face it, teens are locked in a battle of wills with their parents and tend to view what the parent says as a personal affront.

Please don't give up on yourself. You are in a difficult situation and all you can do is your best.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: