Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

Kate King has no updates.

28 hugs
given
Default I hate showers

Pure agony. I dread mornings these days, not because it is a new day, but because I have to take a shower. I loath showers. Not always, but this is the way the depression is manifesting itself right now. It is so embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I still take them, but it takes everything I have in me to get into that stupid shower! I feel disgusting and pathetic for this. Am I alone? What should I do (other than "acting opposite" and take them).
Kate King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I hate showers

When I'm depressed showers go out the window. It got so bad that I was showering once a week. This is because I always thought of it as a huge chore that would require lots of energy. I am an obese person and it makes it even harder, especially to dry off. But now I have positive generalizations about showering. I have a bright lamp I put in there to make it very light in there, which some reason I enjoy. I think about how nice and warm it will make me (I have trouble with being cold all the time) and for drying off, I air dry some of the way, so it's not a huge chore. I still sometimes go 3 days without showering, but it's a lot better than once a week. Try to think of something positive about showering.

krisakira is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

Kate King has no updates.

28 hugs
given

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I never thought of switching up the "norm" and doing something different. I love the idea of getting a bright light in there, our bathroom is so dark. Also, I guess I need to start looking at the positive side of things a little more. Like, actually putting lotion on is the death of me! Not because I don't need it- I do! My skin gets so dry and flaky if I don't. But seriously, you would think someone is holding me a gunpoint, I just cannot bring myself to do it. Then I feel like a have completely failed at life, even though I just took a shower! I told myself today actually that it's ok if I don't put lotion on. Yes, my skin will be really dry, but at least I am clean. I didn't feel like as much of a failure but still, come on! I just want the little things in life to be easy, not HUGE mountains I have to climb over everyday.
Kate King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Grand Magnate

winter4me is trying to hang on to this Sweet Old World

My Mood:

612 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My favorite showers are done with candlelight, scented preferably, and slowly---just sitting under...then one things at a time---I lotion before getting in as my skin gets really dry winters----But I notice that when I am down, I do it less often and stay in shorter periods of time. (I lived for years 'off the grid' with bucket showers, so I guess having water that doesn't run out is still a treat at times (but then, I feel guilty wasting it)----I do notice that when the depression is bad, I don't feel really "clean" after the shower and that is troublesome--- I am a small person and like to curl up fetal position in the bottom of the tub...I do like the warmth.
winter4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate King View Post
Thanks for sharing your ideas. I never thought of switching up the "norm" and doing something different. I love the idea of getting a bright light in there, our bathroom is so dark. Also, I guess I need to start looking at the positive side of things a little more. Like, actually putting lotion on is the death of me! Not because I don't need it- I do! My skin gets so dry and flaky if I don't. But seriously, you would think someone is holding me a gunpoint, I just cannot bring myself to do it. Then I feel like a have completely failed at life, even though I just took a shower! I told myself today actually that it's ok if I don't put lotion on. Yes, my skin will be really dry, but at least I am clean. I didn't feel like as much of a failure but still, come on! I just want the little things in life to be easy, not HUGE mountains I have to climb over everyday.
Yeah, don't think about the lotion while you are trying to get yourself to take a shower. If you feel ok to do it afterwards, good for you, but if you don't- it's not the end of the world. Eliminate those negative generalizations and think of it as something you can really enjoy.

krisakira is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #6

nicole84 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
26 hugs
given

My depression has had me like this recently too. Had the first shower today in 3 days, I normally shower daily but it just seems like so much effort. I still manage to moisturise and use deodorant but that damn shower is such a task. And then I tell the doc that I managed a shower and they just look at me like it's disgusting not taking them.

I think it's a pretty common thing. Depression makes EVERYTHING so much harder.
nicole84 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
UnWise Elder

shortandcute doesn't say "AAAHHH" for nuthin'.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,162 hugs
given

I've been cutting back on my showers too lately.

shortandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Recluse

Silent Void is really N V T S

My Mood:

PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisakira View Post
When I'm depressed showers go out the window. It got so bad that I was showering once a week. This is because I always thought of it as a huge chore that would require lots of energy. I am an obese person and it makes it even harder, especially to dry off. But now I have positive generalizations about showering. I have a bright lamp I put in there to make it very light in there, which some reason I enjoy. I think about how nice and warm it will make me (I have trouble with being cold all the time) and for drying off, I air dry some of the way, so it's not a huge chore. I still sometimes go 3 days without showering, but it's a lot better than once a week. Try to think of something positive about showering.
More light. Good tip.
Silent Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

WhatItIs has no updates.

My Mood:

3 hugs
given

I don't have the showering issue, but when I'm depressed I don't want to wash my hair because it takes too much effort (i'll just pull it up when I shower). I've actually met a couple of other women who have also said this.
WhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #10

onlytime has no updates.

2 yr Member
15 hugs
given

I'm SO relieved to read this. I seriously thought I was the only one who has a hard time getting in the shower and was so ashamed. I don't have anything helpful to say - I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that your post was really helpful for me.

Hang in there!
onlytime is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: