Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
unhappycamper463 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default feel hopeless

Figured out that my entire life is just a big ****ing show to validate myself and to show that I'm not the piece of **** that I think I am. My psychiatrist told me that he challenged me to find the meaning of life "like all the great minds". The great minds haven't found an answer so who the **** am I?

I'll never find meaning and I'll never feel any better about myself.

(Yea this is obviously just some ****ing cry for attention to validate myself for somebody actually giving a **** about me...)
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,585 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: feel hopeless

To consider:
  • Sometimes meaning may appear - either gradually or suddenly - when it is not being sought.
  • Sometimes self-acceptance may emerge when it is not being sought.
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sam2 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

Not knowing your psychiatrist, i think what he means is for you to find the meaning of your life. Not everyone's. Each person is gifted with some talent or another. Sometimes they are easily seen, sometimes they are only found after a long and exhaustive search. There are painters, writers and musicians that didn't start their "careers" until they were over 60.

You may not want to believe or accept it, but every person you come in contact with, face to face or online, is somehow touched by their contact with you. Part of life is finding your own way and your own worth. No one is without value. The reason(s) for your struggles may not be apparent to you now, but the day will come when you figure it out.

Every experience you have goes into making you who you are and will be. Having been through years of battles with depression and other problems, I can tell you that although its still an uphill climb, some of the bad incidents later allowed me to do things I might otherwise not have been able to do. Because of that, I wouldn't change most of what I have been through save one or two things. Right now, your anger is understandable. Its hard to look around and see what appear to be normal happy people while you feel like garbage and really don't feel like you care about much.

For now, if it will make you feel any better, turn the question onto the therapist and ask him what the meaning of his life is. See what happens. A little dark humor never hurt anyone.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
unhappycamper463 has no updates.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2 View Post

You may not want to believe or accept it, but every person you come in contact with, face to face or online, is somehow touched by their contact with you. Part of life is finding your own way and your own worth. No one is without value. The reason(s) for your struggles may not be apparent to you now, but the day will come when you figure it out.

Sam2
Yea that's pretty deep. Thanks. I guess I have a hard time stepping back and waiting. Everybody says like "oh it takes time" but when you're feeling like this you don't want to wait, you can't wait.