Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Kat123 has no updates.

Unhappy Year abroad depression

I'm currently on a year abroad as part of my degree, and since being here I've been really really depressed. I'm really struggling with the language - I can write and read just fine, but when it comes to understanding and speaking I just can't do it at all. I've been here for 6 months and I don't feel like I've improved at all. And I keep seeing other people on Facebook who are on their year abroad saying how much they love it and are having an amazing time, and that just makes me feel worse. I just feel awful, like I can't do anything and I'm useless and worthless. Travelling was supposed to be my dream, but now that I'm actually here, I just feel so depressed all the time and not enjoying it at all. But at the end when I go home I know I'll feel like I've wasted my time here, but right now I don't know what to do. I'm too depressed to do anything.
Kat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Elder

optimize990h has no updates.

2 yr Member
6,660 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Year abroad depression

I understand your situation. I have been in countries where I was dependent on a contact for verbal understanding and speaking. I learned a few important phrases to help.

You have not mention the language you need to understand. Being able to read and write puts you at an advantage from most people not speaking that language.

Even google translate that can be used on a low price Smartphone would be helpful. You could write in the phrase you wanted to speak and the translator using wifi could speak the words.

That's the most cost effective software translator I can think of, without paying someone.

On the internet, you could determine if there are any fellow countrymen/women living nearby who would have suggestions as well.
You could try researching a room rental company that organizes the renter to find accommodations. Sometimes, you will come across English speaking people, either the renter or person letting out the room. Then, they may be able to give you some ideas on how to help you out with possible local contacts.

(Buddy putting in his 2bits worth)

Last edited by optimize990h; 03-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
optimize990h is offline   Reply With Quote