Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
SmileBit199 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default The Depression (Anxiety) Resource Thread...

I just wanted to create a thread that combined everyone's favorite, or most effective resource for them when dealing with depression and/or anxiety.

I'll start things off with my favorite book called...

It's a very clinical and exhaustive book that covers just about everything you can imagine when it comes to this disease. Not a pop psychology book in the slightest. It's pretty thick and reads like any number of psychologists or therapists might use it.

So if you have any books, websites, movies, lectures, podcasts, strategies etc...that you've used to some effectiveness in the past, please share here.

Thanks and I can't wait to see what you folks come up with.
SmileBit199 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sam2 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given
Default Re: The Depression (Anxiety) Resource Thread...

Here is something that is not just for depression, but can help with sleep, anxiety and relaxation.

Journey to Wild Divine is a biofeedback game that anyone can use. The setting is much like a video game with three dimensional graphics. Instead of using keys on the computer to control events, you use your physiology. The game comes with three rings that go over the tips of your fingers. Much like the oxygen sensors you wear in hospitals, but much more comfortable. As you travel through the land, you come upon events, such as starting a fire or calling a boat to you. Some of the events require that you slow your breathing and heart rate, while other require you to raise your blood pressure and heart rate. There are "mentors" along the way to help guide you through the game.

This is not something that will be an instant success. The learning curve is steep, but once you catch on, you will feel a real sense of accomplishment. I use it daily, sometimes the events that require slowing down actually put me to sleep. I've had a couple of out of body experiences on it as well.

It can be pricey, but there have been some used ones on ebay for half of what you would order it for elsewhere. There are two adventures. The original is called "The Passage", and the second "Wisdom Quest". Though I've gotten through the entire Passage adventure, I haven't aquired the wisdom quest one yet. Its more advanced.

The games are played on either windows or mac. If you are looking for a way to handle your anxiety and stress and are willing to put in the time, its well worth it.

Sam2
Sam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Anonymous100126
Anonymous100126 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2 View Post
Journey to Wild Divine is a biofeedback game that anyone can use. The setting is much like a video game with three dimensional graphics.
This sounds amazing. As an insomniac, I feel like perhaps it might be a useful tool for me. Thanks for sharing your experience with it...
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #4

My Mood:

Come on people! I know we can turn this into something!

The Anatomy of Melencholy: Can Depression Be a Good Thing?

TEDxMaribor - Neel Burton - The Anatomy of Melancholy: Can depression be good for you? - YouTube

If that doesn't make your day just a little bit better...
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

My Mood:

That video was so interesting to me I've decided to post some key points below...

- Concept of depression as a mental disorder has been overextended to include all manner of human suffering.

- Depression can actually be good for us. (Explained below)

- In traditional societies, human distress is more likely to be seen as an indicator to address important life problems, than a mental disorder requiring professional treatment.

- Some societies do not even have a word for the concept of "depression".

- In modern societies, people talk about depression much more freely. As a result, they are far more likely to interpret their distress in terms of depression.

- Large, powerful groups with vested interest promote the idea of depression. (therapy, pharmaceutical industry etc...)

- Modern society has become far more individualistic. This has caused us to interpret depression as a mental disorder.

- Diagnosis of depression is not bogus. It has been overextended. Over diagnosed.

- Doctor can not diagnose depression objectively (brain scan, blood test). Only subjectively (interpretation).

- Shouldn't the depression gene weeded itself out over the past 10,000 years? Surely, those who are depressed would have fewer children or fewer healthy children.

- Depression some how gives us an advantage.

- Sickle cell anemia provides sufferers with advantage over malaria.

- Depression may remove sufferers from damaging, distressing, or futile situations. Allows us to view problems with a greater perspective. Reevaluate social relationships.

- Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Emily Dickenson, William James, Nietzhe, Charles Dickens, Tolstoy, and a variety of other notable figures suffered from depression.

- "Happiness is good for the body but it is grief that develops the strengths of the mind."

- Depressed people set the bar too high. This is not congruent with the typical view of a loser. They are ambitious, truthful, and courageous.
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
UnWise Elder

shortandcute doesn't say "AAAHHH" for nuthin'.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,130 hugs
given

www.psychologytools.org
www.getselfhelp.co.uk

shortandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

My Mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blSkkwcy4uo
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
lost on the human highway
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
292 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2 View Post
Here is something that is not just for depression, but can help with sleep, anxiety and relaxation.

Journey to Wild Divine is a biofeedback game that anyone can use. The setting is much like a video game with three dimensional graphics. Instead of using keys on the computer to control events, you use your physiology. The game comes with three rings that go over the tips of your fingers. Much like the oxygen sensors you wear in hospitals, but much more comfortable. As you travel through the land, you come upon events, such as starting a fire or calling a boat to you. Some of the events require that you slow your breathing and heart rate, while other require you to raise your blood pressure and heart rate. There are "mentors" along the way to help guide you through the game.

This is not something that will be an instant success. The learning curve is steep, but once you catch on, you will feel a real sense of accomplishment. I use it daily, sometimes the events that require slowing down actually put me to sleep. I've had a couple of out of body experiences on it as well.

It can be pricey, but there have been some used ones on ebay for half of what you would order it for elsewhere. There are two adventures. The original is called "The Passage", and the second "Wisdom Quest". Though I've gotten through the entire Passage adventure, I haven't aquired the wisdom quest one yet. Its more advanced.

The games are played on either windows or mac. If you are looking for a way to handle your anxiety and stress and are willing to put in the time, its well worth it.

Sam2

very neat- i might think about getting it for myself

how long do the adventures take to complete- and explain why you have the 3 diffrent rings?
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote