Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

harleychic has no updates.

2 yr Member
Default Unemployed, broke and almost homeless.

I guess the title says it all. I am so disgusted and worn down from trying to find a job that I can survive on. I have a solid resume', great references and every company I go to either downsizes, leaves town or goes out of business. I have wk'd for fortune 500 companies, family owned businesses, worked for pay well below what I have earned in the past to just stay afloat. I have tried temps, part-time, seasonal...anything. I can work any day, any time and still nothing. This has gone on for over a 1yr now and my credit that was perfect is now trashed. Bill collectors are hounding me, I have sold everything I own to pay bills. I have no unemployment and no back up from family or friends even to just say "things will get better". I'm sick of the depression, having to take meds just to keep me from knocking the crap outta someone out of pure frustation. I have been hanging onto my home (renting) by a thread. I just don't even feel like trying anymore, I'm worn down and disgusted at what my life has become.
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Poohbah

whimsygirl Is hoping and praying for a day free of migraines.....

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,668 hugs
given
Default Re: Unemployed, broke and almost homeless.

Hi harleychic....Wow I'm so sorry about all you've been going through, wish I could help. Regarding your credit situation, by any chance have you spoken to anyone at a non-profit "debt relief" company? To be honest I'm not sure if you need to be employed for them to help you, but I know it's something I've been thinking of for a while, as I have no real income (health reasons), am not eligible for any aid, and have a large amount of credit card debt. I hope some kind of break comes your way soon. Warm wishes.....
whimsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

2 yr Member

Tks whimsy for the response, I tried the debt relief avenue months and months ago. I found in my case that I was better off trying to deal with the creditors. I spent alot of time negotiating a payoff. Which I found out I wasn't even eligiable until I blew off payments for 3 months. Basically you have to trash your credit before they will help at all. I cashed in my 401k to try and pay off everything and par for the course my car gave out on me and I had no choice but to get another one. So I 1/2 paid them off which really amounts to nothing since I didn't complete the agreement. At this point I have told them I am totally tapped out, no job, no assests left....just go ahead and sue me. I would file backruptcy if I could get the money to do so even though I can kiss my credit goodbye for years to come. Not to mention, when you apply for jobs everyone does background/credit checks. Tks for the warm wishes!
Hugs from:
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Pack of One

AngelWolf3 howling but no one hears...

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,157 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am sorry to hear what you are going through right now. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this is for you right now. I wish I had advice. I don't, but I want you to know that I am thinking of you and hope that something comes for you, other than Murphy's Law. (dang Murphy). Please keep us posted.
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

2 yr Member

Tks Wolf for your interest in responding. Things are very tough right now and I keep trying to stay focused & positive. I have a huge mess on my hands and unfortunatly it's only one a cluster of other things as well. I feel like a punching bag that a top fighter has been practicing on. I just have to run with it when I get a burst of happiness and soak in every second of it.
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Poohbah
regretful hanging on...by the thinnest of threads...

My Mood:

2 yr Member
682 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychic View Post
I just have to run with it when I get a burst of happiness and soak in every second of it.
That is some fantastic advice that I think we can all benefit from. That is what I have found most helpful on this forum - the multiple words of support and wisdom like that which you just posted.

I do wish you well and hope that "burst" arrives for you sooner than later.
regretful is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

misscath007 It's so dang HOT outside!!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
45 hugs
given

Unfortunately, financial pressure seems to go along with the deperssion and anxiety for many of us. I know that it does in my case but at least I am not facing homelessness. Have you applied for food stamps, housing and any other aid you can qualify for? Even getting food stamps helps when you don' have a job. Do you have a counselor or tdoc to help you work through this stuff? It's hard to do by yourself. You can see someone at a community mental health center although you may be put on a waiting list.

I hope things improve for you.

Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem.
David D. Burns

misscath007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

2 yr Member

I was able to get food stamps but they are up for "review" to see if I get them in the future. I started going to the Comm. Clinic and spoke w/several people from pscyh to socail worker. I have tried numerous meds which I hate taking due to the side effects. Between the rage and depression I get I knew I had to do something, like it or not. I speak w/social worker every 2wks and sometimes weekly. My social worker somewhat drops his jaw when I tell him "everything" (not mentioned here) that I am faced with. I moved to a area very rural area after Hurricane Katrina destroyed everything I had; then got hit my Hurricane Ike & Gustav which destroyed everything as well. I literally keep my things taped up in storage containers since I haven't had a stable home in yrs. In the mist of all the destruction I caught my fiance' cheating on me after being together for 5yrs. It just goes on & on....People say I should write a book and tell how strong & brave I amm to which I reply "I'm not" . I just think, really, I didn't know I got a choice...
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

misscath007 It's so dang HOT outside!!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
45 hugs
given

I am currently getting food stamps and they really do help. Make sure you send in your paperwork so you can keep recieving them. Thats great that you are seeing a social worker, they are trained to navigate through some of this red tape. That's a shame about Katrina, so much loss to so many people.... it's heartbreaking.

You sound like you are a fighter, though.

Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem.
David D. Burns

misscath007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

bretd has no updates.

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychic View Post
I guess the title says it all. I am so disgusted and worn down from trying to find a job that I can survive on. I have a solid resume', great references and every company I go to either downsizes, leaves town or goes out of business. I have wk'd for fortune 500 companies, family owned businesses, worked for pay well below what I have earned in the past to just stay afloat. I have tried temps, part-time, seasonal...anything. I can work any day, any time and still nothing. This has gone on for over a 1yr now and my credit that was perfect is now trashed. Bill collectors are hounding me, I have sold everything I own to pay bills. I have no unemployment and no back up from family or friends even to just say "things will get better". I'm sick of the depression, having to take meds just to keep me from knocking the crap outta someone out of pure frustation. I have been hanging onto my home (renting) by a thread. I just don't even feel like trying anymore, I'm worn down and disgusted at what my life has become.
I feel your pain. I have been fighting disability for 4 years, my wifes income is the only one. all credit cards are maxed and can't pay on them anymore. I could go on and on but you have to keep your head up I am sure it will get better soon.
bretd is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: