advertisement
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

jk2833 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
67 hugs
given
Default clinical depression vs manic depression vs Bipolar

Hi all please can someone help me figure this out? I've tried to research as much as I can but I just end up being more confused,as always any help is always much appreciated.
I've been depressed since the age of nine,since then I've had a diagnosis of clinical depression and most recently manic depression,when I've been reading apparently this is now Bipolar.
I'm due to see my psychiatrist in two weeks and I like to have a bit of knowledge before I go.
So what is clinical depression?and is it different to manic depression? Also is it true that bipolar has replaced the term manic depression?
I've also other mental health issues but they are mainly anxiety related and I totally understand them. I've also posted this in the Bipolar forum for max help.
Please anyone?
Take care
JK
jk2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,486 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: clinical depression vs manic depression vs Bipolar

From "A Brief History of Bipolar Disorder", Caregiver.com:
Quote:
In 1913, Emil Krapelin established the term manic-depressive...

In 1980, the term bipolar disorder (1980) replaced manic-depressive disorder as a diagnostic term found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-III).
Note: the current APA Manual is DSM-IV-TR (2000). I understand the ICD-10 (the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization) and not the DSM is in use in the UK.

I believe (I may be incorrect) Bipolar Disorder is also known as Bipolar Affective Disorder, and Major Depressive Disorder is also known as Recurrent Depressive Disorder.
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,486 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Please pardon the double post.

I have found bits and pieces of unverified information that mental health practitioners in the UK actually use both the DSM and ICD-10 in their practice.

Yes, it's easy to get confused...
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

St406 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Yes, manic depression is an outdated term, no longer used professionally . The DSM IV lists Bipolar Depression and variations of it. Manic depression is the same as Bipolar Depression.
St406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

jk2833 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
67 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by St406 View Post
Yes, manic depression is an outdated term, no longer used professionally . The DSM IV lists Bipolar Depression and variations of it. Manic depression is the same as Bipolar Depression.
Hi thank you for replying the information was very helpful. I can't wait to see my Pdoc to get this treated I've been treading water forever and I now know that when I used 'to show myself up' in previous years that it was not my fault and they were episodes,I even held a knife to a mans throat before and I really do not condone any violence what so ever and that is just one embarrassing time,now its milder just hyper for a day or two.
Thank you
JK
jk2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Are you suffering? Driving myself crazy!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given

I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist for a possible diagnosis in bipolar. But, before they can rule me as bipolar they're trying to rule out cyclothymic disorder. This is a mood disorder that displays bipolar symptoms. They psychiatrist called it baby bipolar. The following is a defination I found on a webpage. I hope it may help.

"People with cyclothymic disorder have, for at least 2 years (1 year in children and adolescents), the presence of numerous periods with hypomanic symptoms and numerous periods with depressive symptoms that do not meet criteria for a Major Depressive Episode."

Are you suffering? is offline   Reply With Quote